Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09 | 12:42 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Had a chance to test drive a Q5 this weekend. This just came into our local dealership and other than the sales types, I was the first to have the opportunity to put some miles on this vehicle. Generally similar dash and layout to he A4, and a bit confusing when coming out of a 05 RX and 07 IS, but it didn't take long to find all the buttons and switches.

Contrary to what Mike found, throttle tip in on the demo that I drove was very easy to modulate (car had only 35 total miles on it). This could well be just the difference between the two vehicles. I agree that the torque must be underrated, the Q will really jump if asked. I found the seating position to be very comfortable, although I sure missed the seemingly infinite Lexus electronic steering wheel adjustments, the Audi system seemed a bit crude by comparison – but, finding a comfortable driving position was very easy (I’m 6’-2” and a bit lanky). All the ***** and switchgear were easy to find and once I figured out generally what they did, easy to use. I’m less than impressed with the joystick controls for radio etc. way too much messing about to find the stations that I liked, though the sound system was very good.

On road manners were exemplary. The route I choose for my test included suburban streets, hills, lots of curves on secondary, lightly traveled roads, and a blast down the freeway. The Q handled it all with nary a protest, including some very hard cornering. The steering feels well weighted, the throttle nicely responsive and minimal body lean when compared to my RX. The seats seem a little on the flat side when it comes to spirited driving, but otherwise a nice cockpit for long trips. I thoroughly enjoyed driving the Q, and it will be a definite contender when decision time comes around.
Old 02-23-09 | 02:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Orzel
Had a chance to test drive a Q5 this weekend. This just came into our local dealership and other than the sales types, I was the first to have the opportunity to put some miles on this vehicle. Generally similar dash and layout to he A4, and a bit confusing when coming out of a 05 RX and 07 IS, but it didn't take long to find all the buttons and switches.

Contrary to what Mike found, throttle tip in on the demo that I drove was very easy to modulate (car had only 35 total miles on it). This could well be just the difference between the two vehicles. I agree that the torque must be underrated, the Q will really jump if asked. I found the seating position to be very comfortable, although I sure missed the seemingly infinite Lexus electronic steering wheel adjustments, the Audi system seemed a bit crude by comparison – but, finding a comfortable driving position was very easy (I’m 6’-2” and a bit lanky). All the ***** and switchgear were easy to find and once I figured out generally what they did, easy to use. I’m less than impressed with the joystick controls for radio etc. way too much messing about to find the stations that I liked, though the sound system was very good.

On road manners were exemplary. The route I choose for my test included suburban streets, hills, lots of curves on secondary, lightly traveled roads, and a blast down the freeway. The Q handled it all with nary a protest, including some very hard cornering. The steering feels well weighted, the throttle nicely responsive and minimal body lean when compared to my RX. The seats seem a little on the flat side when it comes to spirited driving, but otherwise a nice cockpit for long trips. I thoroughly enjoyed driving the Q, and it will be a definite contender when decision time comes around.
Did you happen to notice what the sticker price was on the Q5 you drove?
Old 02-23-09 | 02:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No thanks, I'll pass on the undesirable low volume cars.

But yes, the low volume sport and premium cars are cool.
Exactly. LMFAO at "being more exclusive" when they cost the same and NO ONE wants it. If it was low volume, you have a point. They would LOVE to see 100k of those a year if they could.

They can't.

Crazy. So now having a Lexus isn't exclusive, when the competition overall sells twice as many cars worldwide. Oh the humanity.

Next thing you know, someone will tell me the Q45 or RL is "exclusive" b/c they don't/didn't sell. lol
Old 02-23-09 | 02:42 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Sorry, I only did a cursory look as the Q I drove technically belongs to Audi and cannot be sold. Our local dealer has it as a demo to provide rides to potential customers. As I recall, I think it was about $44.5k and it was quite well equipped (the Q and a build it yourself RX were within a few hundred bucks of each other as I recall). One thing I didn't mention, and didn't really care for was the one I drove had the tan interior, while Mike, our esteemed reviewer got one with a black interior, which he felt was a bit cave like. The tan was almost overwhelming, way too much of what I consider very bland surfaces, I would prefer the black, and in the A4 we drove prior, we found the black to be very nice. I would like to see the Q with the black leather, trimmed in silver/aluminum accents, to me that would be ideal. Personal taste I guess, as we have the all black interior in our IS and really like it. Our RX is dove grey with the black birdseye maple, which was very rare up until recently.
Old 02-23-09 | 04:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Are they selling the Q5's in decent numbers yet?

I stopped by one of the big local Mercedes dealers yesterday and looked at the GLK. They had only sold 3 so far (they started receiving them in January).

Maybe the new X3 will continue to dominate this class of small premium SUV's.
Old 02-23-09 | 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for your comments, Orzel.

One reason your test Q5 didn't quite have the same jumpy throttle as mine did may (?) be the production date. That often happens with all-new models with no previous experience.....small defects and problems are found in the engineering and/or assembly processes, and running changes are made on the assembly line to correct it. You vehicle could (?) simply have been built after mine, with slightly revised throttle programming. German-designed vehicles are notorious for electronic quirks (and the Q5, like most Audis, has a electronic, computer-controlled throttle).

My vehicle was one of the first Q5's to come into the D.C. area, and I grabbed one of the first samples available because I had gotten several requests for a Q5 review, and those people were waiting.
Old 02-23-09 | 05:20 PM
LexFather

Thanks Orzel for the feedback.
Old 02-24-09 | 12:44 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for your comments, Orzel.

One reason your test Q5 didn't quite have the same jumpy throttle as mine did may (?) be the production date. That often happens with all-new models with no previous experience.....small defects and problems are found in the engineering and/or assembly processes, and running changes are made on the assembly line to correct it. You vehicle could (?) simply have been built after mine, with slightly revised throttle programming. German-designed vehicles are notorious for electronic quirks (and the Q5, like most Audis, has a electronic, computer-controlled throttle).

My vehicle was one of the first Q5's to come into the D.C. area, and I grabbed one of the first samples available because I had gotten several requests for a Q5 review, and those people were waiting.
Mike, I'll never be your equal, but wanted to get my impressions down on 'paper' so to speak. I still thoroughly enjoy your reviews!

I strongly suspect you are correct, being on the West coast, in the far northwest corner at that, you probably did have an earlier production version than what I got to drive. Our dealer is not even scheduled to get sale ready vehicles for another two to three weeks, and even then they will only get 4 in the initial order. Since we are in no hurry to buy a new car (or cars), we will watch and wait to see how well the Q is accepted, and any issues that start to arise. I will admit however, that 'She Who Must be Obeyed' is really liking the new A4, so probably we will have one gracing our garage sooner than later.
Old 02-24-09 | 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, I'll never be your equal, but wanted to get my impressions down on 'paper' so to speak. I still thoroughly enjoy your reviews!
Thanks, but you're probably a lot younger than I am, too.....and you have learned a lot. You seem to be a better reviewer now than I was, at your age.........or, at least, what I THINK is your age.
Old 02-25-09 | 06:48 AM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, but you're probably a lot younger than I am, too.....and you have learned a lot. You seem to be a better reviewer now than I was, at your age.........or, at least, what I THINK is your age.
You just made my day! Lets put it this way, one of the number one hits when I was born was Buttons and Bows, and when I graduated from High School was The Beach Boys Good Vibrations, along with Barry Sadler's The Green Berets. OK, another hint, I spent time in SE Asia trying to keep my butt in one piece, that would have been 69/69.

Cheers! And keep up the great work!
Old 08-27-09 | 08:44 PM
Trexus

Thanks for reviewing the Audi Q5. Very thorough and objective. My brother is planning on leasing a Q5 this October. I'm trying to persuade him to go with Lexus...
Old 08-27-09 | 11:53 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I really like the design of the dash where the nav is seperate from the vents and HVAC.....nice touch...very classy.
Old 08-28-09 | 05:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

We thought the Q5 had a nicer interior than the RX350 too, thats saying a lot.
Old 08-28-09 | 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Thanks for reviewing the Audi Q5. Very thorough and objective.
Sure. Anytime.

My brother is planning on leasing a Q5 this October. I'm trying to persuade him to go with Lexus...
Given the choice of a Q5 or an RX350, I'd take the 350 hands-down, for several reasons, though neither the MMI system in the Q5 or the console computer-mouse in the 350 impress me. I also prefer the slightly smoother ride of the old 350 to the newer one....Lexus went to a new suspension this year that is slightly firmer, despite the tall 60-series tires. But the 350, among SUVs, is the epitome of refinement......a butter-smooth, quiet drivetrain and tomb-quiet ride. Its build quality, contrary to the trend of other newer Lexus products, seems better on the new model than the last-generation one.
Old 08-28-09 | 07:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

We thought the Audi had better build quality than the RX350. The material in the Q5 is also better, the seats are more comfortable, the wood look better and overall, the Q5 feels more solid than the RX.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi Q5