Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 08:19 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That column-stalk problem has become endemic in German cars.....I don't now why the companies persist with them. German companies, though, are well-known for at least a touch of arrogance, and for not being receptive to customers' desires.
Maybe it's because it isn't a problem at all.

We've had this discussion before. My first Mercedes was a C200 CDI and I am currently driving an E230 and I've never had a problem with the location of the signal- and cruise-control stalk, which are essentially located in the same place. I admit I had to get used to it in the C class but after a week or two it really isn't an issue anymore. In fact, I actually like this layout. I find it very handy when signaling on the autobahn and adjusting my speed - and perhaps this is the reason as to why they are grouped so close together.

That part about German companies being arrogant and not listening to customer demands sounds like a myth to me. In order to sell cars and be competitive you have to listen to customer input and feedback. That's almost the case in any form of business.

I remember the 300SD Turbodiesel in my family which had the controls for the electric windows in the center console in close vicinity to the transmission ****. This was typical Mercedes for the period, but totally unfriendly from an ergonomic point of view. Traditional Mercedes customers of the period were used to it, I suppose, but I guess the new customers, people who had grown up with other brands, didn't like this layout. Mercedes adapted. Where are the controls for electric windows in a modern Mercedes now? Where they should be: the drivers door.
Old 08-28-09, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Maybe it's because it isn't a problem at all.

We've had this discussion before.
Yes, we have. That was an old post.....so why bring it up again? We've both had our say on the matter, and are not likely to change our minds.
Old 08-28-09, 09:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That part about German companies being arrogant and not listening to customer demands sounds like a myth to me.
Sounds more like a description Acura now a days.
Old 08-28-09, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That part about German companies being arrogant and not listening to customer demands sounds like a myth to me. In order to sell cars and be competitive you have to listen to customer input and feedback. That's almost the case in any form of business.
The arrogance of some German companies and dealerships was not a myth, though you are correct in a sense it was much more of a problem years ago than today. BMW and Mercedes dealerships, in particular, were snooty and arrogant back in the 1980's because those two brands were considered the prestige, Yuppie-mobiles of the time.....and they looked down on other brands. Honda, of course, was, at the time, also becoming an automotive powerhouse in the American market, and they, too, tended to have snooty dealerships. Audi dealerships were somewhat less arrogant, because not only was the brand not well-established in America back then, but the company was also saddled with the damage that the TV media did with the Audi 5000 throttle-sticking issue.

Unfortunately, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and, yes, Honda dealerships were very slow to lose this take-it-or-leave-it attitude, and found themselves, more often than not, living in the past as new brands like Lexus, Infiniti, and Saturn arrived and started giving them serious competition.
Old 08-28-09, 09:59 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"That part about German companies being arrogant and not listening to customer demands sounds like a myth to me."

I agree that it's more old history, not current methodology. I know (not as just an armchair poster on CHIT CHAT), but as a buyer of many of these brands. The approach to the customer in the last several years has not been arrogant.
Old 08-28-09, 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

And that is why competition is good for the consumer.
Old 08-28-09, 10:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
And that is why competition is good for the consumer.
Agreed, and Lexus has played a big role in setting high standards in the premium car business ( such as reliability, quality, customer service, V8 availability, technology, luxury) that German car makers are well aware of.
Old 08-28-09, 11:15 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

Given the choice of a Q5 or an RX350, I'd take the 350 hands-down, for several reasons, though neither the MMI system in the Q5 or the console computer-mouse in the 350 impress me. I also prefer the slightly smoother ride of the old 350 to the newer one....Lexus went to a new suspension this year that is slightly firmer, despite the tall 60-series tires. But the 350, among SUVs, is the epitome of refinement......a butter-smooth, quiet drivetrain and tomb-quiet ride. Its build quality, contrary to the trend of other newer Lexus products, seems better on the new model than the last-generation one.
The RX is based of the Toyota Highlander. It appears the Audi Q5 is based off the VW Tiguan and please correct me if I'm wrong. I also believe the Audi Q7 is based of the VW Toureg. The Tiguan is somewhat new to the scene and the Toureg has been out for awhile. I'm not sure if they have established themselves. Whereas the Highlander/RX has been out for awhile and is fully established and does very well. I'm with you in that my brother should go with the RX/RXh. October will be here very soon so I will present to my brother all the necessary information to him to be a well informed buyer/leasor.
Old 08-28-09, 11:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
The RX is based of the Toyota Highlander. It appears the Audi Q5 is based off the VW Tiguan and please correct me if I'm wrong.
I read the Q5 based derived from A4.
Old 08-28-09, 11:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the Q5 is based off the A4, thats why it handles so well.