Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Audi Q5

By multiple CL member request, a Review of the 2009 Audi Q5.

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/n...s/Audi_Q5.html

In a Nutshell: More than just an A3 on stilts, but somewhat unrefined.....and, once again, Audi denies us the DSG.

(This is not a perfect replica of the interior/dash/wood trim my test car had, and the new MMI, but was the closest image I could find)

(I'm sorry, guys, that some of these images aren't better or more accurate than they are......there aren't a lot of good U.S.-market 2009 Q5 images on Google right now to choose from. These shots approxomate, but don't really copy, my test car....and don't have a digital camera and downloading).

Several of you have requested an Audi Q5 review, and it was just released to local D.C.-area dealerships this week. I saw one at the D.C. Auto show a couple of weeks ago, up on a stand, unlocked and with doors open, but I was not able to actually sit in it or give it a static review, much less a test-drive. At the show, I thought it was a good-looking vehicle except for the large Audi grille, and, overall, substantially better-looking than the Mercedes GLK, which is about the same size, and is also just being introduced as a Q5 competitor.

Audi is introducing the Q5 to the American market as a small-to-medium size SUV that slots between the larger Q7 (a borderline full-size SUV), and the smaller, lower-stance A3 and A4 Avant wagons. Only one basic version (with trim packages) is offered for now; a standard Q5 model with Audi's 3.2L V6, 6-speed Tiptronic automatic with manual Sport-Shift, and, of course, Audi's well-proven Quattro AWD system. No versions with FWD, the TDI diesel, or the superb DSG (S-Tronic) transmission are offered here, as they are in Europe and other markets. Come on, Audi.....we need the DSG here; it's too nice a gearbox to make Americans put up with cost-cutting. Same with the TDI diesel, another great piece of enginerring.....let's see it offered here in the U.S., outside of the A3, especially for the over-$37,000 base price this vehicle has.

The Q5 does incorporate some new Audi technology, though, even in the U.S. market. The Q5 introduces Audi's third-generation versions of the MMI dash-controller, on the Premium-Plus package (and, IMO, just as tedious to use as the first two...more on that below). A new, more advanced Stability-Control system activates when the roof crossbars are put on or off....it revises the system's programming to take into account the higher center of gravity with roof loads....a good feature. Audi might have one-upped Mercedes and Volvo with this.....they are the two automakers that usually introduce new safety items. And, like Volvo, the Q5 offers a light-warning in the side mirrors when vehicles get in the blind spots.

I was rather impressed with the Q5 when I saw it up on the stand at the D.C. Auto Show, but after a review and test-drive, I have somewhat mixed feelings about it. It's not a bad vehicle by any means, but I didn't find it particularly pleasant to drive, except for the powerful, torquey V6 and knowing, of course, that the well-proven AWD system will get you through bad weather if needed. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Audi Q5.

Base Price: $37,200

Major Options:

Ice Silver Metallic Paint: $475

Premium-Plus Package: $4300

Destination/Freight: $825

List Price as Reviewed: $42,800

Drivetrain: Quattro AWD, Longitudinal-mounted 3.2L V6, 270 HP @ 6500 RPM, Torque 243 Ft-lbs. @ 3000 RPM,
6-speed Tiptronic automatic with manual Sport-Shift.

EPA Mileage Rating: 18 City, 23 Highway, 20 Combined

Exterior Color: Ice Silver Metallic

Interior: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Handsome styling (IMO) except for the large Audi grille.

Proven AWD system.

Strong, torquey V6.

Responsive 6-speed automatic transmission.

Slick-operating shifter.

Fairly good steering response at low speeds.

Well-done brakes.

2-stage stability control adjusts for roof load and center of gravity.

Nice paint job.

Well-finished cargo area with good features.

Solid exterior sheet metal and doors.

Good exterior hardware.

Simple, clear primary gauges.

Nice NAV/MMI screen picture quality.

Good interior fit/finish.

High-quality trim materials.

Comfortable steering wheel to hold.

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Good front legroom and headroom.

Full-length sunroof.

MINUSES:

Somewhat jumpy throttle from rest.

Too-noisy engine/exhaust.

Some body roll while cornering.

Somewhat flat front seats not well-bolstered.

Typically awkward, over-size Audi grille.

Fairly poor underhood layout.

Well-hidden (?) battery.

Tiny, inflatable temporary spare tire.

Annoying extra cost for Metallic paint.

Limited rear headroom despite partly-adjustable rear seats.

OK rear legroom but tight footroom.

Somewhat flimsy and confusing steering-column stalks.

Too much black in the black interior (IMO), despite wood/metallic trim.

Quirky exterior side-mirror adjuster ****.

Brake-pedal hang-ups for large feet.

Small lower-body cladding does not protect much.

Somewhat limited rear vision out the back.

Rather complex stereo/NAV screen controls from 3rd-generation MMI.

Somewhat pricey with options.

TDI Diesel and DSG (S-Tronic) versions not abailable in the U.S.

Questionable reliability of Audi electronics.

Audi 4/50 drivetrain warranty not up to Japanese competition.

EXTERIOR:

There is no mistaking the Q5, as you first walk up to it, for anything but an Audi product. The big, droop-down, Audi grille (never one of my favorites), horizontally-accentuated headlights/tailights, relatively high roofline, and gently curved body features instantly identify it as part of the Audi wagon/SUV family. At first glance, from a distance, it looks basically like an A3 4-door wagon raised up somewhat on stilts (as Subaru did with the Legacy/Outback Wagons), but, as you get up close, you can see that it is quite a bit taller than the A3, not just a couple of inches. It is also somewhat wider.

The exterior sheet metal and body panels, as with other Audis, are solid and well-done, The doors shut solidly, and the paint job is typical Audi first-rate, with smooth, even gloss, and a general lack of orange peel. I'm not able to comment on the general paint-color choices like I usually do, because Audi has not yet (as of today) sent the Q5 brochures to local dealerships, and I had problems downloading them off of the Audi web site. But, judging from the $475 charge on the price sticker for the Silver Metallic paint, it looks like Audi is still charging extra for Metallic/Pearl/Mica colors like it has done for years, and like most German-nameplate vehicles do. The thin, narrow lower-body cladding under the doors and rear fenders doesn't look like it would protect the paint much from road debris......most SUV's have a little more. Up on top, there is a full-length glass/moonroof that protrudes well over the rear seat as well, and above that, two detachable roof crossbars (as I mentioned earlier, they re-program the stability system for roof loads and a higher center of gravity). As with other Audis, All of the exterior trim and hardware is solid, and well-done, and well-finished.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the large, solid hood, and two nice gas struts hold it up for you......expected in this price class. The hood has a nice insulation pad underneath, but it doesn't do a whole lot, especially under acceleration, to control engine/exhaust noise....more on that below. The underhood layout was not the worst I've seen, but was still rather annoying. The Audi 3.2L V6 fits in rather tightly, and a sizable plastic engine cover blocks access to most of the engine's upper components, although some can be reached around the side. Although the dipsticks can be reached, just about all of the reservoirs are covered with plastic panels. I searched for the battery, but I couldn't find it, even under a panel (the panels were not well-marked). Nor could I find it in the back, under the cargo area, where it usually is if not underhood. Maybe I just didn't look well enough....but the salespeople didn't know where it was, either.

INTERIOR:

Inside, which is only a very small step up for an adult of average height (almost none for me), the interior is typical Audi, and easily recognizable as such. The all-black leather interior on my test car, though, apart from the nicely-wood and metallic trim, had a little too much solid black for me. The seats, dash, door trim, carpet....most of it was all-black. But the wood and metallic trim was, as typical of Audis, very well-finished and expertly installed. For those, like me, who don't care for all-black, other combinations are also available, including black/brown.

The front seats are generally comfortable, but a bit flat, and not well-bostered for support. Headroom up front, under the big glass moonroof, is fine for a person my size (6'2"), as is legroom. Front seats are generally power-adjustable but have one or two manual controls. Rear seats have a limited amount of adjustablity, but I still found the headroom in back, under the same long glass roof, tighter than up front. Legroom in back was OK with the front seat set where I needed it, was OK, but foot room for my big size 15's was tight getting them in and out between the door and the seat. Seat leather was fairly nice, and didn't have much of the annoying and cheap-looking/feeling grain/lump feel that some vehicles have.

The speedometer and tach were generally clear and easy-to-read, although I didn't particularly like how the "0"s were at the very bottom of the gauges, at the six-o'clock position, instead of the more normal eight-o'clock or so in most vehicles......it made the bottom figures a little easier for the steering wheel to hide at some angles.....I didn't list it as a complaint, though. The steering wheel had the typical Audi smooth leather-wrap that is comfortable to hold, and wide spokes with integrated spoke-buttons. The steering-column stalks, however, like many German-designed vehicles, place the turn-signal and cruise-control stalks both on the left side of the column, were they can be mixed up when you go to signal for a turn...this takes some getting used to. The stalks also had, like other German-designed cars, a rather thin, base-plastic feel, although they weren't the worst I've seen.

Most of the interior hardware, except for the aforementioned column-stalks, seemed reasonably well-done and solid. The center-dash controls, like most vehicles with NAV systems, were not my favorites. The parking brake is a pull/push tab on the console. The Q5 incorporates Audi's newest, third-generation MMI system, which now has a smaller, black-plastic MMI **** further up on the dash instead of the silver-painted one on the console, as in former Audis. I still found it rather complex and tedious to use, however (so did Consumer Reports in their review). Aside from that, though, the stereo/climate control *****/buttons were generally well-done and easy to use.....and the stereo was well above average in sound quality (even economy cars seem to have nice factory sound systems these days). And, though I found the NAV screen rather difficult like I do in most vehicles, I have to give it kudos for its excellent screen/color/contrast image quality.....like a Sony TV/computer screen.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid, well-done rear hatch-lid with an electronic touch-pad....on my test car, a power-option raises and lowers it back down for you (and it will bump your head if you aren't careful). Inside, you are treated to a well-designed, well-finished cargo area.....one of the car's best features. The roofline, though, with some rake-back, is high enough that tall cargo can be carried relatively close to the rear gate. The walls and trunk floor are quite well-finished in a fairly plush, black carpeting. real metal-chrome tie-down rings are built into the floor. A first-aid kit is included. Nice, convienient releases are built into the rear walls for the back seats, so you can drop them for added cargo space without walking forward to the seats themselves, though they are not as easy to grab as the big levers on the Lexus RX350 I reviewed last week, which were superb. A big, relatively
durable, folding panel hides cargo from prying eyes......not the usual, paper-thin, pull-out hook/shade that many vehicles have. Under the trunk floor, though, lies a bit of Audi cost-cutting...even worse than usual. Most vehicles with a temporary spare at least have a fully-inflated one, ready to go at 60 PSI. the Q5 gives you a tiny, donut-spare (in fact, it's even smaller than a the typical donut), and a compressed-air bottle to fill it up. You may (?) have to deactivate the AWD to use it (Subaru, for example) provides a fuse-puller for the AWD electronics if you need to use the temporary spare), because small donut tires tear up the center differential, from uneven rotation, on an AWD car.

ON THE ROAD:

With foot on the brake, start up the 3.2L V6 with a box-shaped computer "key" inserted into a hole in the dash and pushing in. The engine fires up fairly smoothly and fairly quietly, but this engine and exhaust is a some ways from the Lexus LS460 in refinement and noise level. It's generally quiet at idle, but as you put it in gear and give it gas, a raspy exhaust note and a faint vibration take hold. The drive-by-wire throttle is also a little jumpy in its programing.....if you don't press it VERY gently for a smooth takeoff, you get a distinct jump forward....unnerving if you are right behind the guy in front at a stoplight.

And, no doubt, part of that is because of this engine's low-RPM torque....this engine is no slouch. Like on the spunky, 2.0L turbo four used by VW and Audi, which I have praised in other reviews, I think that the torque on this engine, perhaps for insurance reasons, is underrated. Audi rates it at 243 ft-lbs at a low 3000 RPM; it feels more like 270-280 to me, This engine definitely has spunk, shoves you in the back, and will charge forward right off idle, even with the vehicle's weight, conventional Tiptronic automatic, and the extra drag of the Quattro AWD. Unfortunately, the exhaust note charges forward with it.....if you want a library-quiet powertrain, this is not the car for you.

The 6-speed Tiptronic automatic was a little bumpy when cold, but shifts smoothed out nicely as it warmed up. I had no real complaints with it, as it generally did the job well in either automatic or manual Sport-Shift mode, but it still didn't have the seamless efficiency, gas mileage, and response that the superb DSG/S-Tronic does. Though the 3.2L V6 (and the 2.0T four, for that matter) both have enough power that they don't need the DSG's response, I'd still like to swiftly plant my size 15 shoe up the back of the pants of the VW/Audi marketing people who decided to stop sending the DSG over here on most of their models......maybe that would get their attention.

The chassis and steering, in general, was OK, but, IMO, not up in the BMW league. Steering feel was actually pretty good, with a fair amount of feedback and heaviness in the system. Steering response, at low speeds, was rather quick, but that lessened noticeably as speeds rose. There was some body roll (enough to be noticeable), though not as much as on the new Lexus Rx350 I drove last week. Ride comfort was OK for a vehicle of this type; bumps could be felt and heard, but were not harsh. Fortunately, there was little, if any, of the typical fore/aft SUV porpoise-ride motions. Most of the noise underway came from the engine and exhaust system, but a small amount of wind and tire noise was also present.....not enough to be really that noticeable. The brakes themselves were well-done; typical of a lot of German-designed vehicles, with quick response, little sponginess in the pedal, and smooth, even response. The pedal placement, however, was poor for proplr with big shoes like mine....my big size 15 hung up momentarily on the bottom of the brake pedal as I went to take it off the gas pedal. Of course, I'm used to this in some cars that I review, so I know how to adjust for it, but, in an emergency (notwthstanding all of the electronic braking aids in new vehicles) it could lengthen your stopping distance a little by slowing reaction time.

THE VERDICT:

Well, I don't have any really strong complaints with this vehicle (and, admittedly, it is competent), but, in general, it did not turn out to be one of my favorites, despite its initial dazzle under the lights at the D.C. Auto Show. It is a good consideration for Audi fans, those who want something a little smaller and more manuverable than Audi's big Q7 (which can be somewhat of a beast to park in tight areas), and those who can afford its 40K+ price tag, though in today's tight economy, it may sell at a discount even brand-new, when vehicles often bring a mark-up. It has the typical-Audi nice interior trim, a well-done cargo area, a nice paint job, smooth leather on the seats, reasonably good handling, superb Quattro AWD system, and a torquey, non-nonsense V6 when you push the gas pedal.

But, the engine/exhaust noise, like on sports cars, could possibly get tiring on a long trip; the MMI/NAV system, despite its nice screen quality, is still, IMO, tedious to use, the blow-up tinkertoy spare tire is a joke, the jumpy throttle from rest takes some getting used to, the underhood layout is not for do-it-yourselfers, and the brake pedal, despite well-designed brakes underneath, catches on large shoes. And, yes, Audi..........the DSG, please, and maybe the TDI diesel option as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-09 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 05:33 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds typical of Audi of having every model sport oriented to extant. Which in result I like. But you do not like because just because its a Luxury brand in your opinion it shouldent have a sporty exhaust note or a better handeling platform. This is why you favor Lexus, lexus is all Luxury no sporting feal what so ever. Its almost inevitable to get a German sedan or SUV without any "sportyness" (not counting the f-sport line)

I quite like the Q5 but wont buy one because its too small for my neads ( I like SUV's the size of my ML and X5 but the Q7 is too big for me).
Old 02-16-09, 06:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thank you for the review, appreciate it as usual!

some questions. did you test drive the q7 before? between the two cars, how would you rate them? of course the obvious size different, but how about features, seats, speed, handling, quality, etc...?

seems like from the review the rear seat room is not decent enough?

we test drove the q7 in details before and really like the car. the size is probably my only "not sure" about the car, it's big. looking at the size it seems like q5 is much better, but i wonder if it's too much of a compromise
Old 02-16-09, 06:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting vehicle in a crowded market segment.

Isn't this SUV based on the newer/bigger current A4?

Too bad about no DSG tranny yet..
Old 02-16-09, 06:27 PM
LexFather

42k is not that bad as tested but its pricey compared to the new RX. Audi is late to the SUV game here. Not a game changer but seems to be a welcome addition. I for one am thankful for its styling and it doesn't look like a shot and stabbed transformer on the way to the crap heap like the other cute-utes in this class.

I hope it does well.

Very good review Mike. I don't mind it not being sporty b/c its a SUV, they seem to get the Utility part of the equation.

Old 02-16-09, 06:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for the Q5 review. I'm going to the Chicago Auto Show tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing the GLK and Q5 at the same time. I've already seen the '10 RX at the dealership.

So, if you're spending your own hard earned $40k+, would you choose the RX, GLK or Q5?

I too thought the Q5 was based on the new A4 platform.
Old 02-16-09, 06:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
42k is not that bad as tested but its pricey compared to the new RX. Audi is late to the SUV game here. Not a game changer but seems to be a welcome addition. I for one am thankful for its styling and it doesn't look like a shot and stabbed transformer on the way to the crap heap like the other cute-utes in this class.

I hope it does well.

Very good review Mike. I don't mind it not being sporty b/c its a SUV, they seem to get the Utility part of the equation.
i wonder how this car will compete against the glk
Old 02-16-09, 06:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
The GLK came out the box well, I think it sold 1200 or so units in its first full month, much higher than anything else. Of course its all new so I doubt sales sustain that level. The same thing happened to all the other cute-utes.

Audi has a lot of work cut out for it. I haven't seen any marketing for this for one. Their lease rates are like Lexus for the most part, non existent. I am not sure of sales goals.

I'm scared Audi is going to shoot itself in the foot again with this, like the A3 which gets no lover or attention.

Old 02-16-09, 06:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

A couple of months ago C&D did a First Drive kind of thing on both. It was close, but they generally preferred the Q5 over the GLK.
Old 02-16-09, 06:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And soon we will have the new X3 in the mix.

IMHO, having seen the GLK and Q5 up close, the Q5 looks the best, but that's just exterior styling.
Old 02-16-09, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
Sounds typical of Audi of having every model sport oriented to extant. Which in result I like. But you do not like because just because its a Luxury brand in your opinion it shouldent have a sporty exhaust note or a better handeling platform. This is why you favor Lexus, lexus is all Luxury no sporting feal what so ever. Its almost inevitable to get a German sedan or SUV without any "sportyness" (not counting the f-sport line)
Not really. I understand the difference between luxury, sport-luxury, and sport. But Audi already has a "sport" division.....the S and RS-cars, I see little reason to put an exhaust note like that on an everyday SUV for shopping and bad-weather driving, though, admittedly, it's nice to have some power under the hood. I honestly think that Audi under-rates the torque on that engine, just like the 2.0T.

I quite like the Q5 but wont buy one because its too small for my neads ( I like SUV's the size of my ML and X5 but the Q7 is too big for me).
Check out the Honda Pilot. Based on your description here, it should be about the prefect size for you, though, admittedly, it won't have that German "feel". The Acura MDX is just more money for essentially the same vehicle with a different, sportier, body.
Old 02-16-09, 06:48 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I am confident that this thing has got at least one thing going against the GLK:

Interior material quality.

I sat in the GLK in last year's LA autoshow and that thing has the worst interior material quality out of all MBs, including the current C-class which is already not something to write home about.

Exterior styling is another one that the Q5 got the GLK beat but that really depends on personal preference.
Old 02-16-09, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

thank you for the review, appreciate it as usual!
Sure. Anytime.

some questions. did you test drive the q7 before? between the two cars, how would you rate them? of course the obvious size different, but how about features, seats, speed, handling, quality, etc...?

seems like from the review the rear seat room is not decent enough?

we test drove the q7 in details before and really like the car. the size is probably my only "not sure" about the car, it's big. looking at the size it seems like q5 is much better, but i wonder if it's too much of a compromise
I did review the Q7, but it was an older 3.6L 2007 model, and the reviews I did back then were not as comprehensive as today, and they lacked images.

What I remember most about the Q7 was that it handled quite well for an SUV that size, but was rather bulky and clumsy to park in tight spaces. Its interior, like the Q5, was typical Audi. The drivetrain, though, as I remember, was noticeably quieter than the Q5's, and it rode somewhat smoother with the longer wheelbase. If you take a lot of long trips, or spend a lot of time inside your vehicle on freeways, I think you'd probably prefer the Q7.

The Q5, with the 3.2L V6 was defintely snappy, and had plenty of low-RPM torque, but, as I said in the review, was difficult to start smoothly from rest. The Q7's 3.6L, as I remember it, was somewhat more sedate....it now has a 4.2L, but I have not driven that model, so I can't comment directly on it.

As far as the Q5's rear seat goes, the legroom is OK, but headroom and entry/exit footroom is a little tight for big, tall people. The rear seat has a limited range of adjustability.....not as much as the fronts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-09 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Check out the Honda Pilot. Based on your description here, it should be about the prefect size for you, though, admittedly, it won't have that German "feel". The Acura MDX is just more money for essentially the same vehicle with a different, sportier, body.
I cannot recommend the Pilot. Its simply average at best and ugly to boot. Looks like a Honda Jeep Commander. MPG is average, materials are average, its just ugly average with a Honda badge. THe highlander is better and the GMs Arcadia, the Chevy one are too. I find the Kia Borrego just as good as well.

Old 02-16-09, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Interesting vehicle in a crowded market segment.
No more interesting, IMO, than many of its competitors (and I've reviewed most of them)......but it does have a kick-a** V6.

Isn't this SUV based on the newer/bigger current A4?
Yes, it seems to be. But it's still markedly smaller than the Q7. You will definitely notice the size difference, which is mostly in length.

Too bad about no DSG tranny yet..
Yep. Auto marketers drive me up the wall sometimes. I've seen monkeys that have more intelligence.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Audi Q5