Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW fights back with tweaks to its boosted N54 motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 09:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default BMW fights back with tweaks to its boosted N54 motor

Bmw’s N54 series straight-six engine receives some official boost

The most sought-after engine in production today is the BMW N54 series straight-six which has garnered some of the celebrated awards such as the International Engine of the Year honor and coming in some of the much loved vehicles such as the 335i Coupe and Sedan. The N54 generates 306hp (225kW) and 295lb-ft (400Nm) of torque in its standard form.

BMW has a recent power uprate for the 3.0-liter N54 bumps power by 20hp (15kW) and 37lb-ft of torque. The consequence of these enhancements is faster sprint and more flexibility for the 135i Coupe and Convertible, and 335i Sedan, Coupe and Convertible plus cars with 7-speed dual clutch transmission. The speed boost for the 335i Sedan equipped with the kit is 0-100km/h in 5.4 seconds about 0.2 seconds quicker than the regular version. From 80-120km/h is reached in less than 0.5 faster. The upgrade kit comes with both software and hardware parts intended particularly for these specific versions but the lineup will very soon extend to include other BMW cars that employ the N54 powerplant. Other revisions consist of a new intake, upgraded cooling fan and a second radiator.

I think BMW is worried that Infiniti is the HP king right now. With this new tweak the G37 will still be the HP king, but it will still be crushed by BMW's massive torque. with the tweaks the new N54 motor will be pushing out about 326 hp and 332 ft/lbs of torque. Damn that a whole lot of torque. This thing will probably really move. I had the chance to drive a 335i when shopping for my last car and it was something amazing. I can imagine what it may feel like it its newly tweaked Infiniti fighting version
Attached Thumbnails BMW fights back with tweaks to its boosted N54 motor-bmw-performance-accesories-3-series.jpg  
Old 02-16-09, 10:07 PM
LexFather

The G37 is the "king" of hp? What? Its not the king of fast. So while it is a great car, it performs like a car with less hp. The IS 350 and BMW 335 both beat it in accleration. The 335 has way more torque. HP is nothing without the right tranny and with too much weight.

The 335 is the fastest in this class AND the most easily modded. We know with a chip its M3 fast if not faster.

Amazing to think that small 135 will have this engine!!

Old 02-16-09, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The G37 is the "king" of hp? What? Its not the king of fast. So while it is a great car, it performs like a car with less hp. The IS 350 and BMW 335 both beat it in accleration. The 335 has way more torque. HP is nothing without the right tranny and with too much weight.

The 335 is the fastest in this class AND the most easily modded. We know with a chip its M3 fast if not faster.

chipped 335 are walking away from m3 easily already, that car is that strong

surprisingly from what i heard the 135 doesn't perform that much better than the 335?

but the 335 going from 306 to 326hp stock, very nice! and seriously, the tq increase is very respectable! considering that the m3 has quite a bit less tq on paper
Old 02-16-09, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

all of that is true, but in stock form on paper the G37 puts out more hp. We all know hp is not the only part of the equation. Still the fact still remain that the G37 puts out more hp. I am very aware of the fact that the current 335 will out run a G37 ( not by much ). I would prefer torque over the extra hp. Anyone who knows cars knows that. But AGAIN the G37 still is the HP KING
Old 02-16-09, 11:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
all of that is true, but in stock form on paper the G37 puts out more hp. We all know hp is not the only part of the equation. Still the fact still remain that the G37 puts out more hp. I am very aware of the fact that the current 335 will out run a G37 ( not by much ). I would prefer torque over the extra hp. Anyone who knows cars knows that. But AGAIN the G37 still is the HP KING
I like the G37 but c'mon now.

In theory yeah but imagine this conversation at a meet or drag;
G37 owner "yeah I'm the king of HP"
IS 350 owner "I just beat you a few minutes ago"
335 owner "I also just beat you a few minutes ago"
G37 owner "but I'm the king of HP, it says right here in this brochure, I got 332, you got 306 and you got 300. I'm the king!!!"
E46 M3 owner "hmmm, I have 333 hp, one more, and I am also faster"
I8ABMR at the meet "hmm, i have a bigger GS 350, and I also beat you"
G37 owner "yes, but I'm the king, I have 332 according to infiniti.com"
Its like saying I have the biggest gun with the smallest bullets.

Old 02-16-09, 11:41 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so this is an optional kit and will not come like this from the factory?
Old 02-16-09, 11:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by darkdream
so this is an optional kit and will not come like this from the factory?
I read this was for europe but I could be wrong. This is just a LOVELY LOVELY engine. and this entire class has wonderful engines too.

Old 02-16-09, 11:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That BMW straight six is still so nice....
Old 02-16-09, 11:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I like the G37 but c'mon now.

In theory yeah but imagine this conversation at a meet or drag;
G37 owner "yeah I'm the king of HP"
IS 350 owner "I just beat you a few minutes ago"
335 owner "I also just beat you a few minutes ago"
G37 owner "but I'm the king of HP, it says right here in this brochure, I got 332, you got 306 and you got 300. I'm the king!!!"
E46 M3 owner "hmmm, I have 333 hp, one more, and I am also faster"
I8ABMR at the meet "hmm, i have a bigger GS 350, and I also beat you"
G37 owner "yes, but I'm the king, I have 332 according to infiniti.com"
Its like saying I have the biggest gun with the smallest bullets.
LOL. I totally know what you are saying. I fell out of love with the G37 on its release date when I drove the first one in AZ. More power, but massive weight increase. The ride quality sucks *** as well. The BMW was way better , BUT the G37 is the HP KING for this class of cars
Old 02-16-09, 11:45 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

But at the end of the day... would you rather have a G37? or a 335?

What is it with a 335 being so close to a M3 in performance? It makes me wonder if they have a surprise in store for the M3. I would hate to buy a brand new M3 to be blown away by a chipped 335.
Old 02-16-09, 11:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
LOL. I totally know what you are saying. I fell out of love with the G37 on its release date when I drove the first one in AZ. More power, but massive weight increase. The ride quality sucks *** as well. The BMW was way better , BUT the G37 is the HP KING for this class of cars
Technically I have to agree Amazing all these new 6s are more powerful/faster than my 8 with better economy.

Old 02-16-09, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
But at the end of the day... would you rather have a G37? or a 335?

What is it with a 335 being so close to a M3 in performance? It makes me wonder if they have a surprise in store for the M3. I would hate to buy a brand new M3 to be blown away by a chipped 335.

I would take the 335 in a second if I was smaller.
Technically I have to agree
I know what you are saying man. You 115% right. I would rather 30 ft/lbs more torque that the 30 more hp. BUT the G37 still wears the crown.... HP KING ( the 335 would ***** slap the G37 if tuned, and I know with a twin turbo set up this motor would be a joke to extract another 50 hp )
Old 02-17-09, 12:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Once the BMW warranty expires, I lose interest.
Old 02-17-09, 08:30 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far from what i've heard on e90post this will be an available option for europe only. For whatever reason, a chipped 335i produces more power than an 135. I chipped my car with JB3 a few weeks ago and man is it fast. Can't wait to get my wheels since the stock wheels can't handle the power.

As for this infiniti g37 being the HP king...They are based on numbers. Why is this so hard to accept? I'm a 335i owner are i don't care. No need to look for every way to prove that the g37 is slower than cars with less hp. On paper the g37 does have the most hp period.
Old 02-17-09, 08:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Once the BMW warranty expires, I lose interest.
that's why you lease :P

Quick Reply: BMW fights back with tweaks to its boosted N54 motor