Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 03:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not really, looking at the people ACTUALLY likely to put down money to buy one. they're generally not interested.

also, you also said this car's not powerful enough. so if you want tons of power and a stick, you want a SPORTS car. and then you'll complain it doesn't get good enough fuel economy.
It wasn't all that long ago you could get a powerful (for the time) 7 series with a 5MT.

And I would call a 2 door E Class a sporty car.
Old 02-17-09, 03:18 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

e-class coupe = new clk?
Old 02-17-09, 04:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty nice with the bigger wheels and black roof. tinted windows will be a requirement to hide that ugly small window

Old 02-17-09, 04:48 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

This is so much nicer than the current model IMO. IT looks a lot more mature and muscular with the rear quarter-panel and the front fender bulging. The interior is the nicest interior I have seen on a Mercedes since the W140 S-class, the seats are perfected in every way......I must say the first generation CLK is the nicest of the three so far. Lets all wait to see this in person.

Last edited by MoLexus; 02-17-09 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 04:57 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I do not like it.
Old 02-17-09, 05:10 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I do not like it.
I too do not like it. I rather must have the current E, looks so much more refined and elegant. This E just looks to sharp and blocky. Interior color treatment is nice though
Old 02-19-09, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Video Clips ......

http://egmcartech.blip.tv/#1798422

Looks better in motion ...
Old 03-02-09, 09:56 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
e-class coupe = new clk?
Yes. The CL is going to be the S class coupe, as well.
Old 03-02-09, 10:21 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

It looks ok. I bet in person it'll be pretty killer. A stock mercedes is a stock mercedes, a modded one is a different animal. Again, in person I bet it's pretty impressive. Knowing the materials that interior is made out of I bet it is pretty dang nice to sit in.

Originally Posted by flipside909
What's with the ugly secondary quarter glass window. I guess it's an 1/8th glass window?
It's for clearance so all the windows will roll down. Mercedes is big on that with their coupes, thank god for that too!
Old 03-02-09, 02:26 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
A drag cd figure of 0.24 bests even the Prius. Appearance is way too busy though, still pretty classy looking.

292 hp indicates Benz is unable to build a motor on par with Toyota
I'm tempted to ask you what Toyota's answer to a W12 or even 2.0TSI is, but DustinV brings up a good point in that market dynamics dictate a lot here.
Old 03-02-09, 02:30 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
I'm tempted to ask you what Toyota's answer to a W12 or even 2.0TSI is, but DustinV brings up a good point in that market dynamics dictate a lot here.
W12: Hybrid V8

2.0TSI: Hybrid I4

With the improvement of battery technology the output for those engines will just get higher and higher. I think it's very obvious that at this point, hybrid is Toyota's answer to FI engines.
Old 03-02-09, 03:07 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It wasn't all that long ago you could get a powerful (for the time) 7 series with a 5MT.

And I would call a 2 door E Class a sporty car.
Ahh, the 740i 5MT. Those are tough to find. I wanted one too.

The E class coupe looks like a grand tourer instead of a true sporty coupe. Too bad.
Old 03-02-09, 08:07 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
W12: Hybrid V8

2.0TSI: Hybrid I4

With the improvement of battery technology the output for those engines will just get higher and higher. I think it's very obvious that at this point, hybrid is Toyota's answer to FI engines.
yet to see anything close to 650hp from toyota or the modability of a 2.0t either
Old 05-01-09, 09:28 PM
LexFather

In what may prove to be a major blow for the BMW 3-Series Coupe and Audi A5, the upcoming Mercedes Benz E-Class Coupe will actually cost less than the E-Class Sedan on which it is based. Despite the new Coupe’s predecessor - the CLK - costing thousands of dollars more than the E-Class Sedan in most markets - the U.S. being a notable exception - this differential will no longer exist for the latest breed of E-Class variants.

The sedan itself is competitively priced as well, starting at $4,600 below the previous model's base price. The entry model, the 2010 E350, will start at $49,475, while at the other end of the spectrum, the V8-powered E550 will start at $57,175. The Coupe starts at a mere $48,925 for the E350 model, while the E550 kicks off at $55,525.

Earlier reports had hinted that the prices would be the same, or similar, because the E-Class Coupe shares most of its equipment and powertrain packages with the Sedan. While coupe and convertible models traditionally attract a price premium over sedan siblings, Mercedes appears to be attempting a new, aggressive pricing strategy to really hit its competition hard.

The CLK was always positioned slightly above the BMW 3-Series Coupe and Audi A5 and the new E-Class Coupe is no different. It won’t help that the new Mercedes two-door is not only cheaper, but also one of the best luxury coupes we’ve seen in a while, and is easily the pick of the bunch next to its rivals.

Sales of the new E-Class Sedan and Coupe will start in June, but that’s not the end of the story. At September’s Frankfurt Motor Show, Mercedes will unveil the new E-Class Cabrio as well as the E-Class Estate wagon, but both of these models will almost certainly attract a price premium over the Sedan.

Pricing for the 2010 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and E350 BlueTec diesel models will not be announced until a later date.

http://www.motorauthority.com/merced...***-coupe.html

Old 05-01-09, 09:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

what a great photo

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform