Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 01:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ beautiful
Old 05-07-09, 01:39 PM
LexFather

Nice leather colors. It still looks square as a mircrowave. I hate exposed cupholders. I will await final judgement in person.

Old 05-07-09, 02:08 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't think that angular designs and straight lines automatically means "outdated". Retro-design has been gaining in popularity lately. It's a great way to look back on ones heritage and translate it into something new and modern while still retaining a distant relation to something from the past.
Old 05-07-09, 02:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
I just don't think that angular designs and straight lines automatically means "outdated". Retro-design has been gaining in popularity lately. It's a great way to look back on ones heritage and translate it into something new and modern while still retaining a distant relation to something from the past.
I'm all for history and linking to the past. Clearly Benz knows how to use it to appeal to people. I actually LOVE the fact they have a long history.

I don't love the fact the new interiors in the C/E look like they were designed by entry level workers at White Kastle.....or Krystals....where Square is in...

Maybe inspiration is from SpongeBob Squarepants....I have no foggy idea.

Old 05-07-09, 02:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Just read a review that states the reason for the small triangle window is because MB wanted the rear windows to roll completely down. They attempted to incorporate that small area, but the window would not roll down completely. This was the only solution.

Also states the Panoramic Roof is standard.
that's one bummer reason

and yes, that's pretty nice interior!
Old 05-08-09, 05:25 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I love the W212's interior its simply gorgeous, got to love the aggressive pricing on the coupe especially for the sedan $4,600 cheaper than the W211.

So what is Lexus's response to a the E-Class coupe??
Old 05-08-09, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The interior of this car is from the 1980s?

1980s E class coupe / sedan / estate interior

2009 E class coupe

HUH?
if you're saying they look similar, i don't get it. they're TOTALLY different.
Old 05-08-09, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about the fixed rear window, my 1987 acura legend coupe rolled down the rear window by kinda rotating it on a pivot point. it still didn't go down all the way though.
Old 05-08-09, 07:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I love the W212's interior its simply gorgeous, got to love the aggressive pricing on the coupe especially for the sedan $4,600 cheaper than the W211.

So what is Lexus's response to a the E-Class coupe??
Sadly, probably none, at least in the short term. The competition have kept adding new models to their line-up, offering more choices for the customers, when was the last time Lexus added a new model ? The IS almost a decade ago. And those two coming look like duds (IS convertible and HS)

Seriously, if they don't add coupe versions of the IS, GS and the LS(don't see LS coupe happening at all, not that my hopes are high for a GS coupe either), as well as a new SC, maybe a smaller roadster like the Z4/SLK, they will soon be left in the dust by the competition ...

And they have said the next few years, they will be concentrating on adding hybrids, not sporty cars ... sigh. Nothing wrong with having more hybrids, but how about something more exciting as well ...
Old 05-08-09, 07:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Sadly, probably none, at least in the short term. The competition have kept adding new models to their line-up, offering more choices for the customers, when was the last time Lexus added a new model ? The IS almost a decade ago. And those two coming look like duds (IS convertible and HS)

Seriously, if they don't add coupe versions of the IS, GS and the LS(don't see LS coupe happening at all, not that my hopes are high for a GS coupe either), as well as a new SC, maybe a smaller roadster like the Z4/SLK, they will soon be left in the dust by the competition ...

And they have said the next few years, they will be concentrating on adding hybrids, not sporty cars ... sigh. Nothing wrong with having more hybrids, but how about something more exciting as well ...
Sad but true
Old 05-08-09, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Old 05-08-09, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Old 05-08-09, 10:43 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

God I love that car, my next car will be either the E550 coupe or Brera JTS 3.2. It looks great theyre is no other way to put it. Its official MB is back, and thyere here to stay!!
Old 05-08-09, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the pics, mike!

i think that's a GREAT looking car in and out!

come on admit it, you like it.
Old 05-08-09, 10:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Love the front end and the vehicle in general....but the backside looks an awful lot like an Accord.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform