Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Post Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform

One of the hottest cars set to grace the stands at next month’s Geneva Motor Show has been revealed today in the form of the all-new 2010 Mercedes Benz E-Class Coupe. The svelte two-door is the hotly anticipated replacement for the aging CLK Coupe, which has been falling behind against newer competition such as the Audi A5 and E92 BMW 3-series Coupe, and on initial inspection it looks like the latest E-Class Coupe has the competition nailed in the styling department.

The Coupe’s styling is based heavily on the new 2010 E-Class Sedan, unveiled at last month’s Detroit Auto Show, and it shares most of its engines and its interior with the four-door as well.
Thankfully, the new E-Class Coupe also retains the pillar-less glasshouse design and fully retractable side windows of the previous generation CLK.

Coupe interior has been lifted straight out of the recently revealed E-Class Sedan
At the same time the most aerodynamic variant of these achieves an impressive drag coefficient of just 0.24Cd – a figure that is comparable with cars like the Toyota Prius and upcoming Chevrolet Volt.

The range of engines available for the new E-Class Coupe comprises four, six and eight-cylinder units with outputs from 100 kW/136 hp to 285kW/382hp - the top end model being the E500/550. Expect to see an AMG version, however, debut with at least 500hp (373kW) later in the year. The four-cylinder engines are newly developed direct-injection units, which develop a higher output and torque than the comparable V6-engines of the preceding series despite a smaller displacement.

The new E-Class Coupe will first hit European showrooms this May and should be on sale in the U.S. by the third-quarter of the year. Expect pricing and availability details to be revealed following the car’s debut at the upcoming Geneva event.

http://www.motorauthority.com/....html

Old 02-16-09, 10:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it.
Old 02-16-09, 10:23 PM
LexFather

I am shocked b/c Benz had IMO the best looking luxury lineup and they are quickly headed down the BMW/Acura path of "huh". Its so busy front end, chrome strip at the side, random lines, bland tailights. WHY do you have to have an AMG kit or sport kit to look have a good looking Benz? Stock they are just bad

That car is beyond busy. I cannot believe the designers designed the rear windows so long, they had to cut the glass!!! What mess. The CL does not have the problem b/c its a huge car.

Interior looks like its from the 1980s.

Old 02-16-09, 10:23 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front looks like the result of an R-Class and E-Class ramming into each other head-on. The rear reminds me something like this:

The interior is top-notch though, I really like the caramel/black combo.
Old 02-16-09, 10:27 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like all Mercedes Models, this will look 100000 X times better in AMG trim. just for the E coupe (ELK??) 63. That will be a hot ride
Old 02-16-09, 10:33 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car will look much better in person and absolutely wicked with larger wheels. I am saddened they had to cut the rear window... that really kills the look of the car.

The other thing that amazes me is that this car has the same coefficient of a Prius. Priuses and Insights are shaped ugly because of the coefficient they have to reach... or are they? Guess not.
Old 02-16-09, 10:34 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

HAHAHA i love how they jacked of the ES350
Old 02-16-09, 10:50 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
The other thing that amazes me is that this car has the same coefficient of a Prius. Priuses and Insights are shaped ugly because of the coefficient they have to reach... or are they? Guess not.
Haha, there is no longer any reason for their uglyness
Old 02-16-09, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

don't like it, nothing like when i first saw the cls. specially the rear it looks pretty weak for a luxury car. not to mention the headlights, i don't know what to make out of them
Old 02-16-09, 11:06 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Not bad I guess but to be honest, neither this nor the 6-series really wows me...
Old 02-16-09, 11:24 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i'm curious to see how AMG will work their magic.
Old 02-16-09, 11:49 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i'm curious to see how AMG will work their magic.
No worries... they tend to always rework the disaster at hand.
Old 02-17-09, 12:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Not bad I guess but to be honest, neither this nor the 6-series really wows me...
I agree, but this MB is a bit better looking and certainly more affordable. Should be another lucrative car for Mercedes.
Old 02-17-09, 12:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

A nice tint job will camoflauge that ugly pillar.
Old 02-17-09, 01:08 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

i believe these benzs are designed first azs AMG and then toned down

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe,priced below sedan,sits on older,cheaper C-Class platform