Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand cherokee revealed in viability presentation

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 10:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Redesigned Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand cherokee revealed in viability presentation

Brand new versions of both the Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee are coming in the next couple of years, kicking off a product renaissance at Chrysler that will include the launch of 24 new or updated models over the next 48 months. The information was confirmed in Chrysler’s viability presentation submitted to the U.S. Treasury today.

Along with the confirmation, Chrysler also released several teaser images for its future models, revealing the design direction for both the exterior and interior for the new 2011 model year vehicles.

The new models are claimed to be up to 19% more fuel-efficient than the current versions and to set them apart from the competition the cars are also promised to feature "unprecedented uconnect connectivity, and be available with a new fuel-efficient V6 in addition to a Hemi V8 with cylinder deactivation.” This new V6 is the company’s long-awaited Phoneix, which it also expected to feature cylinder-deactivation technology.

Safety features will include ‘Rear Cross Path’ and ‘Blind Spot Monitoring’ systems to warn drivers of unseen vehicles, electronic stability control, an energy-absorbing steering column, a rear-sill reinforced body structure.

The next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee, meanwhile, will ride on an advanced car-like unibody platform. In preparation for the new SUV, Chrysler will refit its Jefferson assembly plant in North Detroit, which will also be responsible for several yet-to-be revealed models based on the same platform.

Chrysler’s short-term future will also see the introduction of new electric vehicles (EV). A fleet of 66 EVs will begin testing later this year and the first for public sale will be available next year, with additional models to come in 2013. In addition to all-electric vehicles, Chrysler will offer range-extended plug-in hybrid vehicles that combine the drive components of an electric vehicle with an integrated, petrol auxiliary power unit and generator to power the electric drive when needed.

It’s not all good news as Chrysler has also confirmed that three product lines will be dropped. These include the previously reported Chrysler PT Cruiser, as well as the Dodge Aspen and Durango SUVs.
Attached Thumbnails Redesigned Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand cherokee revealed in viability presentation-2010_chrysler_300_preview_main630-0217.jpg  
Old 02-17-09, 10:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

!!!!!!! interior is better but still lagging imo. sorry about the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails Redesigned Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand cherokee revealed in viability presentation-2010_chrysler_300_preview_002-0217.jpg  
Old 02-17-09, 10:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Jeep cherokee
Attached Thumbnails Redesigned Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand cherokee revealed in viability presentation-2010_jeep_grand_cherokee_preview_001-0217-950x650.jpg  
Old 02-17-09, 10:44 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too little too late.

Chrysler is done.
Old 02-17-09, 10:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think the changes look more like a refresh than a new model. It seems more and more common for manufacturers to do this recently
Old 02-17-09, 10:54 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel sad for the 300, all they did is slight change the look just like a TL/TSX. Engine de-activation been around long time, at least give it 6-speed for fuel saving.
This is not a solution, more like buying time until someone else have money to buy Chrysler. They're taking short cut, and people loosing jobs.
I want the company around because of jobs they'll bring, but not these kinda of products.

Last edited by speed_Demo; 02-17-09 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 11:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

here is some more info I found on some of the upcoming changes. I still agree that it is probably too little too late

Chrysler has just released its 177-page “Viability Plan.” It will no doubt take plenty of time to go through (and this, of course, was unintentional on Chrysler’s part). In the interim, some highlights:
—Chrysler wants $5 billion by the end of March for “working capital and other operating expenses.” This would mean a total bailout purse of $9 billion, an increase over the $7 billion requested in December.
—The theme is “pay us now or it’s going to cost you more money than you can possibly imagine— or print.” This sounds suspiciously like like some word I learned once. Axtortion? No. Extourtan? What was it?
—There’s plenty of bankruptcy and liquidation analysis, projecting what the costs would be if they went bust.
—The “Stand Alone” business plan includes a $600 million profit in 2010, followed by a loss of the same amount in 2011, then another loss of $600 million in 2012, then a break-even year in 2013, followed by a projected $1B in profits in 2014.
—24 product launches in 48 months. I can only assume they are counting different paint colors as individual product launches.
—Fiat could, in theory, take another 20% stake of Chrysler for a majority share of 55%.
—”No American taxpayer money would go to Fiat.” Semantics.
Old 02-18-09, 07:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck bringing those pics to Washington while begging for billions.
Old 02-18-09, 07:53 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

that 300C doesnt have mirrors
i wonder what it will look like once they put mirrors on it
Old 02-18-09, 07:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oooo! New grilles, headlights and wheels! Maybe in 2012 they will add new colors too!
Old 02-18-09, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Both of the present versions of these vehicles (like most Chrysler-designed products) need better-quality sheet metal and interior materials. We'll see if the new versions get them.
Old 02-18-09, 12:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I was thinking just yesterday. The 300 has potential, it needs to be refreshed at the least and have a strong efficient base engine, not the current 3.5L. Kudos for cylinder deactivation technology. It's an easy way to save fuel, whether you like it or not.
Old 02-18-09, 01:10 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

New 300 = done!

Compare that to the bold styling direction of the original LX (Intrepid and Concorde) or the 300 when it hit. That looks terrible. Same with the GC. A rehash. Sad what the exterior has come to if these are at all representative.

The interior at least looks to have promise but that is the least of Chrysler's problems right now.
Old 02-18-09, 01:10 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Those both seem very boring visually.
Old 02-18-09, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Kudos for cylinder deactivation technology. It's an easy way to save fuel, whether you like it or not.
Cylinder cut-outs, IMO, are really more of a gimmick than anything else. They don't really save that much fuel because the remaining cylinders just have to work that much harder to keep the car moving, which means more power from each cylinder, and more gas.

It's like riding a tandem bicycle....a good comparison. If the person in back (or front) decides he or she is going to stop pedalling and doing his or her share of the load, then the one remaining rider just has to pedal that much harder to keep the bike from slowing down.

Of course, with a car, many factors have to be taken, like air resistance, vehicle weight, transmission gearing, slope of the road, friction of the tires on the road surface, air temperature/density affecting engine power, etc....., but, in general, the remaining cylinders will have to increase the power output of each one, so the ability to save gas is limited at best.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-09 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Redesigned Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand cherokee revealed in viability presentation