Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT : Toyota reviving Celica name for joint Subaru RWD car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 04:09 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, I don't consider Subaru as the benchmark for steering and suspension systems. I am aware of their leadership with proven AWD systems.
Of the sporty cars in my family, here's how I'd rank em.

Poorest to Strongest

IS300, Honda Prelude, Legacy GT, Impreza RS, A6 2.7 T.

Maybe it's the AWD now that I look at it that helps the vehicles manuever so well. I've always been incredibly impressed with the handling of our Subarus. I think that's why I got another one.
Old 02-18-09, 04:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Of the sporty cars in my family, here's how I'd rank em.

Poorest to Strongest

IS300, Honda Prelude, Legacy GT, Impreza RS, A6 2.7 T.

Maybe it's the AWD now that I look at it that helps the vehicles manuever so well. I've always been incredibly impressed with the handling of our Subarus. I think that's why I got another one.
Cool, no doubt AWD gives certain advantages especially in slick conditions.
Old 02-18-09, 05:04 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Cool, no doubt AWD gives certain advantages especially in slick conditions.
I've found in any condition. The IS on dry ride is not stable. The wheels spin out from under you no matter what and I hate that. @ 220 HP, well that's not saying much. I haven't driven a new IS yet.
Old 02-18-09, 05:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I've found in any condition. The IS on dry ride is not stable. The wheels spin out from under you no matter what and I hate that. @ 220 HP, well that's not saying much. I haven't driven a new IS yet.
Modern traction control and stability control systems are important safety features on newer Lexus products. Some experts feel that stability control can save more lives than ABS. I will not buy a new or used car without these systems.
Old 02-18-09, 05:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Modern traction control and stability control systems are important safety features on newer Lexus products. Some experts feel that stability control can save more lives than ABS. I will not buy a new or used car without these systems.
MMM, yeah and ABS has saved my butt a few times. I would imagine that we will see VDC/VSC on this sports coupe. Toyota has it and last time I was at Subaru I noticed that all of their new cars had it.
Old 02-18-09, 05:59 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

I just want them to build a FR Toyota that is fun to drive and practical. Is that too much to ask?
Old 02-18-09, 06:03 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

This is really good news for tuners, first the Genesis coupe and now this!!
Old 02-18-09, 08:03 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

The Genesis coupe starts at 22k with the 4 banger and 25k for the V6. The Toyota is priced competitively but 2012 is a LONG way away.
Old 02-19-09, 03:54 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Toyota is too little too late again into the sports coupe game, I'd rather get a Genesis Coupe.
Old 02-19-09, 05:07 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i'd hit that . . . on the streets!
Old 02-19-09, 08:12 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Toyota is too little too late again into the sports coupe game, I'd rather get a Genesis Coupe.
When they don't have one, people are *****ing about Toyota not having anything sporty. When they are going to bring out one then people are *****ing about Toyota being too late to the game.

I, for one, applaud that Toyota is willing to bring out an AE86 successor. It's okay to arrive late to the party as long as one arrives in styles.

People are comparing this to the Genesis but let's not forget that the Genesis coupe is one HEAVY car, the V6 model is around 3500 lbs and the T4 is probably somewhere north of 3200 lbs (don't have the exact number so correct me if I am wrong). Based on the information we have so far this Toyota/Suby FR is suppose to be light weight at around 2700 lbs, to me that's one HUGE advantage over the Genesis coupe.
Old 02-19-09, 08:38 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ffpower
People are comparing this to the Genesis but let's not forget that the Genesis coupe is one HEAVY car, the V6 model is around 3500 lbs and the T4 is probably somewhere north of 3200 lbs (don't have the exact number so correct me if I am wrong). Based on the information we have so far this Toyota/Suby FR is suppose to be light weight at around 2700 lbs, to me that's one HUGE advantage over the Genesis coupe.
Amen. The price and timing of this car will probably make it my next.
Old 02-19-09, 10:24 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
Because isn't the Genesis like 22 or 25 with the V6 with 300+ Hp
22k is for the 2.0T Genesis Coupe.

I'm still excited about this car, but at 21k and rising, my interest is going in the opposite direction. The Genesis Coupe is looking more and more attractive to me.
Old 02-19-09, 12:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think before we know the specs to this car, there's really no comparison. All we know is it's going to be around 21k USD, RWD, flat-4, codenamed 086A. People compare it with the Genesis coupe, but for now we're comparing like 2~3 specs on a car that has not been prototyped with a car that's about to be released very soon.

Who knows if the flat-4 will be turbo. Who knows if it'll have 180/190 hp or like 240hp. Who knows how good (or bad) the suspensions/ transmission/ chassis will be. Right now it's like comparing apples to recipes, not even oranges.

sometimes it's better to save the judgments/comparisons until there are some solid specs released, makes comparisons more meaningful.
Old 02-19-09, 04:45 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. However, since when did Hyundai become this great car company? I'm sorry the Genesis Coupe looks like it could be nice but Toyota has a great Rep. From drift, drag, safety, and reliability. That being said I think waiting for the rebirth of a Toyota with ***** is the best move.

Quick Reply: REPORT : Toyota reviving Celica name for joint Subaru RWD car