Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYPD is going " green " . New hybrid cruiser trials

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 04:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It seems like a pretty cool idea, and i dont really care about what brand anything is anymore if the product is better or not, and in reality, would the NYPD buyign Malibus really make that much of difference? I mean, if they make money for GM, they are just going to lose money on the extra gas they paid if they got it over the Altima
Old 02-19-09, 06:43 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Because this program has clearly been in the works and the Fusion hybrid isn't even out yeah. Availability. That's a huge reason I'm sure why the Fusion wasn't used.

The Malibu hybrid isn't worth the cost.
Altima hybrid: 198 HP, 35 MPG City

Malibu hybrid: 164 HP, 24 MPG City

The Malibu is slow and frankly, a mild hybrid isn't going to cut in NYC.

Now, I don't hate on American goods. I own Ford stock. But the Altima is the better product here for a police vehicle.
my sentiments exactly.
Old 02-19-09, 08:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Malibu Hybrid?????????????? Fogetaboudit !!! LOL
Old 02-20-09, 06:54 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Malibu Hybrid?????????????? Fogetaboudit !!! LOL
It is laughable. I like the idea of mild hybrid for minimal, inexpensive fuel economy gains, but in a busy city, with stop and go traffic, well that is two-mode hybrids shine.
Old 02-20-09, 06:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Because this program has clearly been in the works and the Fusion hybrid isn't even out yeah. Availability. That's a huge reason I'm sure why the Fusion wasn't used.

The Malibu hybrid isn't worth the cost.
Altima hybrid: 198 HP, 35 MPG City

Malibu hybrid: 164 HP, 24 MPG City

The Malibu is slow and frankly, a mild hybrid isn't going to cut in NYC.

Now, I don't hate on American goods. I own Ford stock. But the Altima is the better product here for a police vehicle.
Thanks for the stats, its clear on paper the Altima is a better "hybrid". I have driven and drive both extensively. The Altima is a complete step behind the Malibu in most every regard.

Quite frankly I would recommend the Altima only b/c it would make the criminals feel awful. I have yet to write my review on it but it won't be like the Accord or Malibu I wrote about.

Old 02-20-09, 09:29 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

While I am eager to read your review, I don't think the concern is about comfort. It's about saving money and being green while still having capability. In which the Altima wins hands down.
Old 02-21-09, 09:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The fact that they are going "green " is the important part
Old 02-22-09, 09:37 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool, although I thought they'd wait for the Fusion Hybrid to come out. That'll give Nissan some incentives (none of the Nissan dealers here even stock any NAHs.... let alone have a demo)
Old 05-04-09, 08:19 PM
LexFather

http://www.dailytech.com/NYPD+...9.htm

Old 05-04-09, 08:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yep, that's a nice cruiser alright.
Old 05-05-09, 12:07 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I saw one last week. Had no clue they were using them for NYPD. Obviously NYC Taxis use this, the Camry Hybrid, Escape Hybrid, and Highlander Hybrid. Anything is better than those gas guzzling, $25-30K, overweight, 20 year old Crown Victorias.
Old 05-05-09, 06:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen the marked Altima rmps on the road. Now how will those that drive fast & roll past stop signs distinguish the unmarked NYPD Altimas from the civilian Altimas??
Old 05-05-09, 06:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Reaction

For the first time, ever, you’ll be seeing New York’s finest riding around in 40 Nissan Altima Hybrids (18 marked, 22 unmarked).

Sure, at $25,391 a pop, they cost $1,500 more than the Impala but because it’s a hybrid with 35MPG for city driving, the NYPD can quickly make up that dollar number in fuel savings. The Impalas get 16MPG. And best of all, the Altimas wont cost a penny to idle.

Unfortunately the move has rubbed some people the wrong way. Visitors at CarScoop are angry for some reason:
CaliDesigner: Way to support America you NYC Pigs! Malibu hybrid, Fusion Hybrid? Come on, support your own country!

Henri : Nissan? It should be forbidden to let police departments drive import vehicles.
It’s a shame.
The real shame isnt that the Altima is made right here in Smyrna, Tennessee, or that the old Crown Victorias and Impalas are made in Canada, or that Ford makes the Fusion Hybrid in Mexico. The real shame is that this whole “buy American” nonsense got two of our big three where they are today: hooked on our tax dollars. If you really want to support America, then dont put your support behind propped up companies.
Old 05-05-09, 06:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Unfortunately the move has rubbed some people the wrong way. Visitors at CarScoop are angry for some reason:
CaliDesigner: Way to support America you NYC Pigs! Malibu hybrid, Fusion Hybrid? Come on, support your own country!

Henri : Nissan? It should be forbidden to let police departments drive import vehicles.
It’s a shame.
The real shame isnt that the Altima is made right here in Smyrna, Tennessee, or that the old Crown Victorias and Impalas are made in Canada, or that Ford makes the Fusion Hybrid in Mexico. The real shame is that this whole “buy American” nonsense got two of our big three where they are today: hooked on our tax dollars. If you really want to support America, then dont put your support behind propped up companies
good post -- I was going to look this up....because I thought it was built in the US....