Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Pontiac / Saturn officially closed down? (2011)??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 05:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts
Question Is Pontiac / Saturn officially closed down? (2011)??

Just saw on the news they are officially killing Pontiac and Saturn. I remember seeing the rumors, but I believe it is official now. Any link sources? I tried a search and found nothing.
Old 02-20-09, 05:28 PM
LexFather

I believe Pontiac just rolled out a new slogan and nothing has been final for either brand.

Old 02-20-09, 05:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123500373416017943.html

That's as recent as I can find (yesterday), but doesn't seem like direct confirmation to me? I was looking for what the news was quoting which had closing times.
Old 02-20-09, 05:35 PM
LexFather

I've been on a few auto sites today and nothing has confirmed it otherwise it would be hot news on the internet.

Old 02-20-09, 05:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I didn't see anything on the morning news, or the mid day news. I saw the chatter on the evening news. That's why I wanted to look for confirmation since it was a late arrival. IF they did decide this, it would make sense to do it friday evening to hold the market over for the weekend.
Old 02-20-09, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm sorry to see it happen, but it doesn't surprise me a bit. I've said for years....and my posts on CL are a matter of public record on this.....that Saturn would be in serious trouble if they didn't return to the customer-friendly ways, unique drivetrains/transmissions, and the plastic-body cars they built in the 1990's. Their downfall actually began in 1999, with the first L-bodies, which were Opel platforms with part-steel/part plastic side panels.....since then, they have moved farther and farther away from the ideal company they were before 1999. I partly blame Saturn management for this, starting with Cynthia Trudell about 10 years ago and continuing till today.....they simply were not forceful enough with GM's upper-level marketers and planners in resisting the de-Saturnization of their division, and more or less sat back and let GM bosses screw things up. So now it has come to this.

Pontiac is also a sad case, but as a division, it never really had the high customer enthusiasm that Saturn did, and won't be anywhere near a big of a loss. Many of its products were just re-badged Chevys, although the Grand Am sold well for some years, and the Firebird Trans-Am had a small but dedicated core of followers.....they will no doubt be disappointed that there will not be a new Firebird now with the Camaro. The Aztek, though, was a styling joke, and turned off people in droves. The G8 GT held a lot of promise as a performance-sedan bargain, and, IMO, was a good-looking car, but, like the 2004-2007 GTO, never ereally caught on with the public. Pontiac dashes and interiors, especially the American-designed ones (not the Australian-designed Holden GTO/G8 ones) were among the worst GM produced.

I would not be surprised, among GM brands, to see Hummer go next.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-09 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 06:29 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to Pontiac being a speciality brand? I was hoping for a big mean Firebird.
Old 02-20-09, 07:13 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to see Pontiac go ,but I don't believe we have seen the last of Saturn. A lot of Chinese automakers have been trying to find a way into the American market and this is probably going to be that way. If that happens, if you thought lead on toys was bad imagine their cars.
Old 02-20-09, 10:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,430 Likes on 1,593 Posts

gm only needs 3 brands... time to lean up...
Old 02-21-09, 01:02 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gm only needs 3 brands... time to lean up...
Oh I totally agree they should can the duplicate cars and I don't think Pontiac needs a full range, I just happen to like the really badass cars that used to be associated w. Pontiac (ie. Firebird & GTO)

Saturn: like the Sky but that's about it, make a more aggesive Solstice and there you go.
Old 02-21-09, 01:10 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

NOOO...not pontiac!!! I actually liked the G6, G8 and GTO...damn, pontiac was the only way to experiencing Holden cars aside from importing one
Old 02-21-09, 03:43 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

only the G8 was worth getting from pontiac Kaydee =/
Old 02-21-09, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM on the verge of bankruptcy needs to shed the bleeders ASAP.
Old 02-21-09, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
GM on the verge of bankruptcy needs to shed the bleeders ASAP.
No. Pontiac, maybe, but not Saturn. Saturn does not need to be let go. It simply needs to become the Saturn of the past once again...the superb company it was in the 1990's, until GM management screwed it up.

Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise, though. This way, Saturn can (maybe) reorganize as an independent manufacturer (let's hope so), and return to the superb plastic-panel S-series cars it formerly did.
Old 02-21-09, 04:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Pontiac, maybe, but not Saturn. Saturn does not need to be let go. It simply needs to become the Saturn of the past once again...the superb company it was in the 1990's, until GM management screwed it up.

Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise, though. This way, Saturn can (maybe) reorganize as an independent manufacturer (let's hope so), and return to the superb plastic-panel S-series cars it formerly did.
Yes Saturn, especially since Saturn is a big bleeder and needs to go from a business standpoint. We are talking dollars and sense here, not whims of some loyal Saturn folks (who really aren't car enthusiasts anyway). I know somebody on the inside and they said Saturn only made a profit one year. GM is stating that this division never made a profit. Either way GM is on the verge of bankruptcy and needs to shed dead weight and money losers fast.

Quick Reply: Is Pontiac / Saturn officially closed down? (2011)??