Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4 vs. Cadillac CTS-V vs. Lexus IS-F vs. Mercedes C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 04:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8speed
This comparo is inane to say the least. The RS4 is discontinued and as mentioned previously by my fellow members who also speak reality, is in a different price range as is the CTS-V which was built specifically (according to GM) to dethrone the M5....and is not even close to being in the same class as the others. The CTS-V has a "de-tuned" ZR-1 motor for crying outloud........fail, too many liters!

So with that being said, the M3 (gasp) is ranked one, IS-F two and the AMG Mustang third.....and so we have yet another incredulous and biased review that will send the BMW fanboys back to their E90 forums boasting about how great their cars are and how the IS-F looks like a bloated whale with retarded exhaust tips and a transmission with an inordinate amount of gears!

please shoot me!
Sixty thousand dollars. *That's* what the article is about. How much "Super Sedan" can you buy with 60k? Although, I seriously don't know why the Audi is there.
Old 02-25-09, 07:40 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Probably because used (which all RS4's will be at this point), the RS4 maybe 60K. But that is not expressed in the review.
Old 02-25-09, 09:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well the CTS has always been the baby amoung the Caddy sedans.
The STS-V despite its 469hp & age is still big brother.. The CTS fits right in with this group & is the best bang for the buck period. For 60k, I would look no further than the CTS-V. Handeling, power, racing heritage, development what more can the driving enthusiast ask for..
Old 02-25-09, 09:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Well the CTS has always been the baby amoung the Caddy sedans.
The STS-V despite its 469hp & age is still big brother.. The CTS fits right in with this group & is the best bang for the buck period. For 60k, I would look no further than the CTS-V. Handeling, power, racing heritage, development what more can the driving enthusiast ask for..
Agreed... IT IS A BEAST
Old 02-25-09, 09:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Agreed... IT IS A BEAST
Look out of the 2012 DT7 (new STS) from Caddy..
Old 02-25-09, 12:41 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The CTS-V is actually the best bang for the buck out of this comparo. I could currently purchase a base model Caddy for $2K less than I paid for my F (list prices not current market value).
I agree with you. A 2009 CTS-V invoices at $53,326 and MSRP is at $58,280. It's a good deal. For reliability I would still go for the IS F...

http://autos.yahoo.com/2009_cadillac_cts_v/
Old 02-25-09, 01:46 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

I'm not sure the I get what the author is looking for in a sports sedan. He praises the F's easy livability and good handling, but seems to deduct points because he doesn't think Lexus has the same cache as the Euro brands.

I want my sport sedan to be able to do double duty as a sedan and a performance car. If i wanted an all out sportscar that is what I would buy. Also, I don't give a crap about the name on the hood so long as the quality and performance levels meet my expectations.
Old 02-25-09, 03:13 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

^ Yea that website is all over the place. Their assessment is usually bizarre and contradictory, so I don't really take anything they say into serious consideration. That said, the CTS-V is the best bang for the buck, no argument here. The biggest weakness for the Corvette is the interior build and luxury, and it seems like CTS-V has no such weakness. However, reliability is a question mark, and resale value is a big factor.

The only other thing, to put it nicely, is that the CTS is styled for the "older" crowd, and IMO it doesn't really appeal to the same group that would buy the rest of the cars in that lineup. I honestly have never seen anyone under the age of 70 drive a CTS (Except during the Cadillac commercial), which somewhat validates my opinion. I think that's where it may be more relevant to compare it to m5/e63? Just a thought.