Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver: A BMW comes second to...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 07:35 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car and Driver: A BMW comes second to...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st__1/(page)/1

2009 Nissan 370Z

First place: Sports center.

In our February road test, we called the new Z “possibly the best sports car on the planet” for the money.

As you see, this shootout validated that statement, albeit by a narrow editor subjective preference (Fun to Drive, Gotta Have It) for the Z over the BMW. But the real litmus test was how the Z stacked up against the Mazda RX-8—our two-time champ—in terms of sports-car virtues. The contrast was striking.

The RX-8 is all about finesse. The 370Z is all about power. Both cars are agile, but the RX-8’s agility is that of the tightrope artist; the Z car moves like an NFL strong safety. Its steering, though accurate, is heavier, and its responses, though quick, have a more deliberate feel.

The Z car’s Bridgestones, the same rubber as on the BMW and the RX-8, delivered eyeball-stretching grip—0.98 g on the skidpad, where it hung on like a bat in a wind tunnel. Super Glue adhesion and major-league brakes added up to sports-car braking—157 feet from 70, identical to the RX-8.

Power. Check. The new Z’s 3.7-liter V-6 whomps up 332 horsepower at 7000 rpm and 270 pound-feet of torque at 5200. It lacks the low-rev grunt that makes the BMW quick off the mark, but power is abundant once everything’s spinning over five grand, and the six-speed manual is beautifully matched to the engine’s output traits. It’s a gratifying device to operate, too, particularly with the SynchroRev Match feature, part of the optional Sport package ($3000), which also includes front and rear spoilers, nifty 19-inch forged aluminum wheels, upgraded brakes, and a limited-slip diff.

Our test car was so equipped, and if we were buying a new Z, we’d check that box in a flash. The diff gives the Z bulldog bite exiting corners, and the rev-matching feature delivers unerring downshifts. You can shut it off and heel-and-toe for yourself—the pedals are well placed for this—but we’ll bet you’ll be seduced by this piece of technology in short order. Resistance is futile.

The Z’s logbook noted reservations. The glass in the back hatch, for example, looks vast, but its angle reduces the driver’s rear view to a narrow horizontal cleft, and there are substantial blind spots in the rear quarters. The steering wheel adjusts only for rake, not reach, mystifying in a car so thoughtfully engineered. And even though Nissan has improved the Z’s noise, vibration, and harshness, there’s still tire boom on some surfaces, and the engine still emits a sense of thrash at higher rpm.

But ample power and a serious sports-car skill set trump those concerns. As does aggressive styling that looks even more purposeful than that of the 350Z. Add a gorgeous interior that maintains the fighter-cockpit feel of the 350 but with much better materials. Improved storage, including the addition of a glove box. Seats rivaling the BMW’s for support and comfort.

It’s a package that’s hard to resist, particularly with the lowest base price in this group and an as-tested ticket that includes a gotta-have array of goodies. The best sports car on the planet for the money? Damn right.
Old 02-24-09, 07:41 AM
LexFather

All are superb and the new Z continues to get rave reviews. Personally, I'd get the 1. I actually like how it looks, it has backseats and is pretty much on par with the Z in the sports arena.
Seems they feel its more for the money than the Vette. That is an impresseive feat!

Old 02-24-09, 07:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All are superb and the new Z continues to get rave reviews. Personally, I'd get the 1. I actually like how it looks, it has backseats and is pretty much on par with the Z in the sports arena.
Seems they feel its more for the money than the Vette. That is an impresseive feat!
I had read all the hate toward the 1's stying before I actually saw one in the flesh but having seen it since I think it's pretty svelte. But something about it looks too "chick car" for me. Other than that I like it.
Old 02-24-09, 09:03 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

And where is Toyota's Supra...nowhere to be found...Toyota could of spun a Supra off the Lexus f development.

I am glad to see the Nissan Z #1
Old 02-24-09, 09:14 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take the 135i over the Z on any given day.
Old 02-24-09, 09:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer the Z in this case, true sports car.
Old 02-24-09, 01:42 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
+1... BMW in this group... but I'll disagree on a 135i over a Vette... C6 Vette that is...
Old 02-24-09, 03:08 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

370z might be 1st in performance but..

...not in looks
Old 02-25-09, 02:46 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I like the 135 for its practicality, but will probably get a Z down the road to replace my 240sx.

Here's to hoping the mid-cycle update will look better.