Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrids take priority over performance for Toyota in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 10:33 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrids take priority over performance for Toyota in the U.S.

It wasn't that long ago that Toyota stood for more than just reliable, appliance-like transport. With roots that include the delectable 2000GT, the Celica all-trac and three generations of both the Supra and MR2, Toyota had – until recently – carved out a nice niche for itself populated by enthusiasts looking for something outside the performance mainstream. But in the past six years, the Priusification of ToMoCo has created an automaker whose soul focus has shifted from creating compelling products to the automotive equivalent of Maytag or KitchenAid. According to Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter, don't expect that concentration to change.

Carter told Automotive News that Toyota will put more of its efforts towards hybrid vehicles in the U.S., saying that Stateside consumers are more interested in "high-quality, fuel-efficient, low-impact-environment products." Carter went on to say that, "Personally, I would love to have a sporty car, but it is pretty clear what the market is looking for right now."

What that means for the Subaru/Toyota FR coupe's future in the U.S. remains to be seen, but it's doubtful that we'll be seeing a Supra successor in the near term. Ideally – or maybe more appropriately, idealistically – we could hope for something the melds both performance and green technology, like a production version of the FT-HS coupe concept that debuted in Detroit two years ago. But judging by the tone of the industry, and Carter in particular, we doubt that Toyota is ready to make that kind of segment-defying leap just yet. Maybe it'll take a hit from Honda to change Toyota's tune.
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/23/h...ta-in-the-u-s/

ffpower says: This is not looking good for the Suby/Toy FR coupe and the LF-A
Old 02-24-09, 10:44 AM
LexFather

Geezus do you know how lucky we are to have the IS-F? Its scary how staid Toyota is. I understand their position but there is no reason they can't balance both or make Scion a sporty brand and scrap the quirky stuff.

Old 02-24-09, 10:59 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Geezus do you know how lucky we are to have the IS-F? Its scary how staid Toyota is. I understand their position but there is no reason they can't balance both or make Scion a sporty brand and scrap the quirky stuff.
That doesn't go with their ploy to graduate Scion buyers into Toyota into Lexus buyers. That's the entire point of Scion; generate demand in younger buyers by creating cool vehicles that are fun and cheap. After they've sunk the line, hook em and get them to buy Toyota or Lexus afterward.
Old 02-24-09, 10:59 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Personally I think the f-division is in trouble too because Toyota is just too conservative to take any risk. I don't think even Akio Toyoda can defy that if assuming that he really wants to. He probably would take the ultra conservative approach during this economy crisis to avoid any possibility of ending up as "the President that sets Toyota back"...

This economy crisis really comes at a horrible time just as Toyota is about to bring out something exciting. Now it's going to take them another 10 years before they are willing to get their feet wet again.

Old 02-24-09, 11:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think this was pretty evident last month when they said they are going to introduce 10 new Hybrids before the end of 2010.
Old 02-24-09, 11:37 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferdinand Piëch is laughing his *** off. Toyota is so boring.
Old 02-24-09, 12:11 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by FKL
Toyota is boring but boring sells. People love to point out the flaws of those who are on top.
Old 02-24-09, 12:22 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why can't they make a hybrid sports car? Low end torque from the motor, and high end power from the engine...sounds good to me...
Old 02-24-09, 12:39 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

At the current state I'd rather be boring than broke...

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 02-24-09 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
Fail. He's actually up in arms b/c Porsche "shorted" VW stock and now owns the brand. He is not in control, Weideking is.

Thanks for the Toyota jab that didn't work though. How about Toyoda is lol that VW can't build a reliable car and is epic fail in the United States.

I am in complete agreement Toyota is boring and bland and yawn, though the hybrid technology is amazing. However VW has just as many gaps trying to move up into luxury and they can't figure out how to screw a door in.

Please stop while you are ahead.

Old 02-24-09, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Let's see if Toyota grows its market share through the recession. I agree that Toyota is a bit boring, but at least we see some flashes of fun in Lexus.
Old 02-24-09, 01:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People want pizazz, but pay for practicality.

Magazines will praise Caymans and consumers will buy Corollas.

Ultimately, Toyota will take a step back and realize that business is business. Everyone needs an appliance like a fridge, but not everyone needs a super-duper-deluxe restaurant-quality fridge.

If there is a "high demand" for something sporty, Toyota will make it. However, is it really in high demand, or is it high praise?
Old 02-24-09, 01:20 PM
Koma

Sports cars in Toyota's recent history:
Supra
MR-2/MR-S
Celica All-trac

Sports cars in VW's recent history:
R32/GTI (maybe) I would argue the GTI isn't a sports car (FWD) and the R32 could maybe a sports car if it wasn't so underpowered for its platform. And don't try to call me out as a fan boy, I was actually considering buying the new R32.
Old 02-24-09, 01:20 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Let's see if Toyota grows its market share through the recession. I agree that Toyota is a bit boring, but at least we see some flashes of fun in Lexus.
You mean flash (not plural) in the IS-F.

Don't get me wrong, I think Toy/Lex is doing a great job, but like Coco-bun I see no reason not to make a fun hybrid.

Really, if you could pick efficient & boring v. efficient & fun, what would you pick? Seriously now ...
Old 02-24-09, 01:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
Sports cars in Toyota's recent history:
Supra
MR-2/MR-S
Celica All-trac

Sports cars in VW's recent history:
R32/GTI (maybe) I would argue the GTI isn't a sports car (FWD) and the R32 could maybe a sports car if it wasn't so underpowered for its platform. And don't try to call me out as a fan boy, I was actually considering buying the new R32.
Thats a good point, never thought of that.

Quick Reply: Hybrids take priority over performance for Toyota in the U.S.