Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mercedes GL450

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 09:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Both, however, like their Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser cousins, do very well off-road as it is. The 4Runner, at one time, was body-on-frame (essentially a converted Toyota pickup) , but the unibody sequels have been just as good off-road. Most SUV buyers (about 95%, overall, except for the Jeep Wrangler) almost never go off-road anyway. Many standard SUV insurance policies don't allow it.
Who is willing to ruin a new car paint job in the brush & weeds off-road anyway?? Maybe when the premium has has 80k on the clock & over 5 years old it can be thrashed and scratched..
Old 02-25-09, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The 4runner is body on frame. Same chassis as the FJ Cruiser and Gx470
Yes, it is the same chassis as the GX and FJ. That I knew, but I wasn't sure if the platform had gone unibody or not....there was conflicting info on that.

I think you guys are right, though, that the 4Runner/GX/FJ is still body-on frame (I'll stand corrected)........that would account for at least part of their excellent performance off-road.

I'd be careful with what I actually DID with one off-road, though. Both the 4Runner and GX470 are quite narrow for their tall height, and that means tipsiness and a high center-of-gravity. You wouldn't want the body leaning too much and tipping over.
Old 02-25-09, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Who is willing to ruin a new car paint job in the brush & weeds off-road anyway?? Maybe when the premium has has 80k on the clock & over 5 years old it can be thrashed and scratched..
In general, that's correct. Most SUV owners don't want to scratch up a brand-new vehicle (though some offer deflector equipment and brush guards to help keep that from happening).

Jeep Wrangler owners, however, are another whole breed. Up to 25% of them actually do go off-road, even with brand-new ones, as opposed to about 4-5% of most SUV owners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 12:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true, many of the newer 4x4 trucks have never see anything more gnarly than a speedbump at the mall.

I've seen Hummers used offroad with vinyl protection on the sides and doors for protection from scratches, etc.

Nothing beats an old Jeep for this type of use.
Old 02-25-09, 09:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There is a guy over at Ih8mud.com who has beat up his $70k Toyota Land Cruiser. ddt225 is his name. He has videos and images that shows you where he has taken it.

He actually was the only vehicle to get stuck on one occasion (4runner, GX, 60 series, hummer and others didn't) in some sand dunes.

So people do take them off road.
Old 02-26-09, 05:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
There is a guy over at Ih8mud.com who has beat up his $70k Toyota Land Cruiser. ddt225 is his name. He has videos and images that shows you where he has taken it.

He actually was the only vehicle to get stuck on one occasion (4runner, GX, 60 series, hummer and others didn't) in some sand dunes.

So people do take them off road.

Yes.....about 5%, on the average, except for the Jeep Wrangler.

Sand dunes, BTW, are one of the easiest places to get an off-road SUV stuck, even with locked differentials, because loose sand has such little support under it for the vehicle weight...the vehicle tends to sink down rather than go forward (or backward). Sometimes it is actually easier to get going on glare ice than loose sand, because at least you don't sink down into ice.
Old 02-26-09, 01:16 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.....about 5%, on the average, except for the Jeep Wrangler.

Sand dunes, BTW, are one of the easiest places to get an off-road SUV stuck, even with locked differentials, because loose sand has such little support under it for the vehicle weight...the vehicle tends to sink down rather than go forward (or backward). Sometimes it is actually easier to get going on glare ice than loose sand, because at least you don't sink down into ice.

I think the percentage of Land Cruiser owners that use their vehicles for off road is much higher than one would expect. There are a few LX owners there but most Land Cruisers owners prefer the now (AHC) suspension found on the LX vehicles and do not like the larger 20 inchs wheels.

This is one of the reasons why the Land Cruiser comes to USA equipped with KDSS and 18 inch rims.

I bet there are very few LX owners who you use the LX to off road compared to higher percentage of LC owners.