Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watched a show "Rides" last night featuring Rod Millen. Great!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 05:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Watched a show "Rides" last night featuring Rod Millen. Great!

I know that this is relatively old news but I have NEVER seen a show dedicated to it. The build of the IS430 for one of the past year's SEMA show; a one-off from Rod Millen w/the help of Chip Foose!

I absolutely LOVED this episode. I posted this here in the GS section because those of you who aren't familiar with this is....basically they took a IS300 and dropped the 4.3L V8 with custom headers (to fit in the jammed engine bay), custom radiators and fans (again, to fit), a custom air intake (again, to fit) coupled with a Supra 6sp transmission! The car is a SOLID 1/4 ton (or 500lbs) less than a stock GS4XX...the result? 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and about 2 seconds shaved off the 1/4 mile! Not sure what a stock IS300 runs in the 1/4 but even if it is 15 flat...this means they're hitting 13 flat perhaps breaking into the 12's with this normally aspirated IS430!

Other items that were added were better suspension, Brembo BBK, lightweight Foose wheels, exhaust, body components and a custom paint job. The car was VERY impressive. The MOST impressive thing to me was that the performance figures are astounding for an NA car with "our" V8 motors (slight variation of power betweeen the 4.0 and 4.3)! If only we could "shave" 500 lbs off our V8 GS's (relatively easily) and mate it with the Supra 6sp manual tranny.

I know this is current work in progress by one of our members (current thread in this section) however, has anyone EVER completed a build like this? Basically just throwing the Supra 6sp tranny on a GS4XX? I bet it would snap necks bone stock!
Old 02-25-09, 05:46 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hehe i have this car in Forza Motorsports 2 Game and its alright i guess...the red/blackstock paintjob really wasnt my taste.

woah same peak hp and tq.
Old 02-25-09, 08:53 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just shave off 500 pounds - it's easy. J/K. Impressive...but I'd rather keep the GS body.
Old 02-25-09, 09:02 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BooBoo it was a re-run, 2jzgte vvti would have been much better tooo, paint jobs wack .
Old 02-25-09, 09:03 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if anyone else saw that. That was a nice set-up. I wasn't crazy about the paint, but the big engine thing never get's old.
Old 02-25-09, 10:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i'd drive it. that color and all
Old 02-25-09, 10:10 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I know that this is relatively old news but I have NEVER seen a show dedicated to it. The build of the IS430 for one of the past year's SEMA show; a one-off from Rod Millen w/the help of Chip Foose!

I absolutely LOVED this episode. I posted this here in the GS section because those of you who aren't familiar with this is....basically they took a IS300 and dropped the 4.3L V8 with custom headers (to fit in the jammed engine bay), custom radiators and fans (again, to fit), a custom air intake (again, to fit) coupled with a Supra 6sp transmission! The car is a SOLID 1/4 ton (or 500lbs) less than a stock GS4XX...the result? 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and about 2 seconds shaved off the 1/4 mile! Not sure what a stock IS300 runs in the 1/4 but even if it is 15 flat...this means they're hitting 13 flat perhaps breaking into the 12's with this normally aspirated IS430!

Other items that were added were better suspension, Brembo BBK, lightweight Foose wheels, exhaust, body components and a custom paint job. The car was VERY impressive. The MOST impressive thing to me was that the performance figures are astounding for an NA car with "our" V8 motors (slight variation of power betweeen the 4.0 and 4.3)! If only we could "shave" 500 lbs off our V8 GS's (relatively easily) and mate it with the Supra 6sp manual tranny.

I know this is current work in progress by one of our members (current thread in this section) however, has anyone EVER completed a build like this? Basically just throwing the Supra 6sp tranny on a GS4XX? I bet it would snap necks bone stock!
I always thought this was what the first IS-F should have been....
Old 02-25-09, 12:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's funny because if this thing (IS430) is in fact capable of high 12 second 1/4 mile runs then it's not THAT far off from the IS-F with regard to performance....and remember they are still using an antiquated engine/technology not the brand new technology 5.0L V8 that the IS-F has...it must be a lot heavier than the "IS430." So I guess weight plays a big part in this equation but I feel it mainly is due to the 6sp tranny.

I would love to see someone with a bone stock GS4xx put a Supra 6sp tranny in there...curious to see what a manual GS4 could do.
Old 02-25-09, 03:32 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great project, and I think it planted the seed for the IS-F to happen.