Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R Spec V lap times

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 11:48 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT-R Spec V lap times

The following news will either disappoint or delight some Nissan GT-R fans. The new GT-R SpecV is slower than the standard GT-R. In fact, it's slower than both the MY08 and MY09 cars. Good news for standard car owners, bad news for those who have or are planning to shell out the equivalent of ¥15,750,000 for a SpecV.

Japan's Best Motoring publication has gotten a hold of the mighty SpecV and they wasted no time in heading for the Tsukuba Circuit to test Nissan's claims for themselves. To make matters interesting they put legendary racer Keiichi "The Drift King" Tshuchiya behind the wheel. Even he could not beat the MY08 and MY09 times of 1:01.888 and 1:01.343 respectively. The car could only manage a best time of 1:02.4. Best Motoring says the conditions under which all three cars were tested were similar.

The SpecV weighs 60kg less than the factory car. It's powered by a 3.8-litre twin turbo V6 with 480hp (353kW) and 434 ft-lb of torque. No explanation is forthcoming on this pressing issue yet, suffice to say perhaps the upcoming issue of Best Motoring in which the car was tested will provide some answers.

hahahahaha!!!! personaly not the biggest fan of the GT-R in the first place and my tendancies of being an ******* made laugh at this

source : http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090225....times-reported

Last edited by bad co; 02-25-09 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 12:03 PM
LLTD
Driver

wow. That is disappointing to all GT-R fans.
Old 02-25-09, 12:27 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Yeah it is disappointing, but that just one test and one review.

http://www.gtrcenter.net/?p=2201
Old 02-25-09, 01:02 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

model year 08 model year 09 ^
Old 02-25-09, 01:10 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

LOL @ The Drift King!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe he was doing too much drifting around. Drifting is not the fastest way around the track....
Old 02-25-09, 01:19 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Baffling.
Old 02-25-09, 02:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the Spec V was getting more power? Isn't that the same HP rating as the regular GT-R?

Initially I thought maybe the power/weight was thrown off enough that perhaps it would adversely affecting handling as compared to the regular GT-R. If HP didn't increase and it only lost some weight then I'm sure that isn't the case here...
Old 02-25-09, 03:33 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
LOL @ The Drift King!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe he was doing too much drifting around. Drifting is not the fastest way around the track....
Originally Posted by meowCat
What newr said might be true. Tshuchiya may have drifted more than needed on the Spec V hence it achieved worse lap times. Are they using exact same tires between the standard one and the Spec V?
Although he is considered the drift king, he is still a very capable race car driver.
Old 02-25-09, 03:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Are they using exact same tires between the standard one and the Spec V?

I would hope Nissan put in equivalent, if not better tires on the V-spec than the base version. That would be going backwards
Old 02-25-09, 09:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wheres that GTR lover thats in carchat?
Old 02-25-09, 11:28 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
wheres that GTR lover thats in carchat?
They are all fighting Nissan right now about the tranny/LC issue...

Old 02-25-09, 11:54 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
They are all fighting Nissan right now about the tranny/LC issue...

Lucky I'm not stuck with a 35
Old 02-26-09, 05:59 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very disappointed if I was ordering a spec v
Old 02-26-09, 11:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There needs to be more details to determine if the Spec V is truly not as quick as the stock GTR, this one test does not really prove anything. Were stock and V spec tested on the same day, same conditions, by the same driver. Did the driver of the Spec V in that run maybe make a mistake during his lap or it was an off day for him. Did the spec V and stock have the same tires, same amount of fluids, etc. Could the lighter higher hp Spec V have been a little more difficult to launch smoothly without some time wasting wheelspin and could the driveability been slightly affected by the lighter weight and higher hp that the driver did not properly take into account like speed into the corners and exits out of the corners. The Spec V may be slightly slower at this track for some reason like traction, not as easy to control, overcooking it in certain situations but it still may be faster in a straight line, quarter mile, and be more satisfying to drive due to lighter weight, tighter suspension, and higher hp. There are so many variables to consider other then this one source so I would not totally judge the car just yet.
Old 02-26-09, 12:10 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
There needs to be more details to determine if the Spec V is truly not as quick as the stock GTR, this one test does not really prove anything. Were stock and V spec tested on the same day, same conditions, by the same driver. Did the driver of the Spec V in that run maybe make a mistake during his lap or it was an off day for him. Did the spec V and stock have the same tires, same amount of fluids, etc. Could the lighter higher hp Spec V have been a little more difficult to launch smoothly without some time wasting wheelspin and could the driveability been slightly affected by the lighter weight and higher hp that the driver did not properly take into account like speed into the corners and exits out of the corners. The Spec V may be slightly slower at this track for some reason like traction, not as easy to control, overcooking it in certain situations but it still may be faster in a straight line, quarter mile, and be more satisfying to drive due to lighter weight, tighter suspension, and higher hp. There are so many variables to consider other then this one source so I would not totally judge the car just yet.
All this may or may not matter but the problem is that a car that has been made lighter and engineered to perform better than the stock car doesn't. It just doesn't compute in any way. The car is lighter and has at least as much power as the stock car. It should be faster but it isn't. Something is amiss.

But either way, the price premium above the base GT-R is totally out of scale. If they had added another 100hp then maybe.

Quick Reply: GT-R Spec V lap times