Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will this leave stretch marks ????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09 | 06:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

The majority of these VIP cars are on air and they lower it like that once parked. But yes they do stretch tires to achieve a certain stance and look. Obviously the style is not for everyone but it's funny to see people assume a lot of stuff.
Old 02-26-09 | 06:25 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Fitment on the red car is almost spot on to perfect. First pic is just overdoing it quite a bit. It always amuses me when people look at these cars, while they are sitting still, and try to figure out how in the heck does the person even drive that way. I am a big fan of the look, but on other people's cars though. I, myself, m not brave enough to pull this look off; nor do I want the headache of the constant maintenance and/or things that can go wrong. I already play avoid the potholes and extreme dips being only 1" lower on my LS, being that low I would have to swerve around cigarette butts. LOL!!
Old 02-26-09 | 07:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Remember when lowering a car was to achieve "race=car" look and improved handling. Now slamming it give poor ride, no suspension travel, poor handling and actually makes the car less capable. I guess anything in moderation is good.
Old 02-26-09 | 08:38 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

I agree it's about "taste"...

I find it hard to like any set up with narrower tires mounted on wider rims. U-G-L-Y
Old 02-26-09 | 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Just another case of having 'too much of anything is bad". However I can appreciate the work put into the project. It's certainly no easy task.
Old 02-26-09 | 09:22 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

that might not leave stretch marks but this will:

Old 02-26-09 | 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by memasterac
I agree it's about "taste"...

I find it hard to like any set up with narrower tires mounted on wider rims. U-G-L-Y
So much for the high performance look, not....
Old 02-26-09 | 09:52 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
..I think police should clamp down hard on it, not to mention very unattractive to me.
not as bad the lifted skyscraper 4x4 weaving in and out and bullying their way through traffic with 20k hid kits at night

But yeah, first one is ugly.
VIP done right is nice but it's the extreme that is
Old 02-26-09 | 10:09 AM
KA8
Instructor

I hate stretched tire. 1st pic definitely a no no but 2nd pic would be good for car shows but would not drive on it.
Old 02-26-09 | 04:28 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

that first pic is pretty ugly, the red car looks pretty good if you slam it like that 4 shows.
Old 03-02-09 | 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The picture of the pregnant psycho is worse than the stretched tires
Old 03-03-09 | 06:10 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i love the look of stretched tires, i stretch mine so i can get the wheels to fit just right but the first one is a bit too much! i wouldn' tdrive like that. the red car i've seen before, and it's perfect.
Old 03-03-09 | 08:18 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Back in the day BB (Before Bags) the hot setup for your '51 Lincoln, '54 Ford, or '49 Chevy coupe was "lowering blocks" that with the rear semi-elliptic springs slung under the axle, "raised" the axle centerline well above the spring hangars - having the effect of dropping the rear bumper to within an inch of the pavement. The standard measure of "coolness" was if you could barely slip a cigarette pack under your rear bumper.

As if that weren't enough, to heighten the effect, you actually raised the front end by a similar amount, making your car look as though it were leaving the starting line at the local dragstrip, even when parked. This too had some rather impractical side-effects, namely not being able to see the road, particularly if the seat were laid back in the full "James Dean" cool position (similar to today's low-riders). For shorter drivers (remember this was in the day before vertical seat adjustments), you either sat on the Yellow Pages, or stuck your head out the window. It was also in the day when AC was uncommon, but a face full of bugs was.

Of course, the first thing you learned was that with the first dip in the pavement, your low-hanging rear bumper neatly guillotined your chromed exhaust extensions, the resulting pinch making for maximum backpressure and an exhaust note that sounded like a tea kettle gone off the chain. Thus the advent of side exhausts and the evolution of "Lakes Pipes", yet another "speed" affectation.

The evolution of the American Custom is a continuous process, and survival is not always guaranteed to the fittest - but occasionally to what might appear to be the most outrageous.
Old 03-03-09 | 09:27 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

I'm not into the major tire stretch look, but saying "the police should clamp down hard on it" because you don't like it is just silly. C'mon now, don't we have bigger fish to fry these days?

I remember a time when the offsets I was running on my GS seemed crazy, these days running aggressive offsets are a lot more common. Different strokes...
Old 03-03-09 | 05:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Speaking of wild custom work, how about motorcycles too....

Quick Reply: Will this leave stretch marks ????????