Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 10:00 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can someone explain to me why hyundai insists on attacking a niche car that sells what, 1000 units a month? wouldnt it make more sense to compare to a mustang gt, rx-8, camaro v6, or challenger r/t?

if i only had 32 grand, why wouldnt i choose the faster v8? or the awesome looking challenger? or the near m3 handling rx-8? or a freakin 422hp camaro?

what?
Old 02-26-09, 11:35 PM
Epik151
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Popular Mechanics picked the Gen Coupe over the G37.

Well, Edmunds makes that 2 for 2 for Hyundai.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...mktid=cj260233
Old 02-26-09, 11:59 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Epik151
Popular Mechanics picked the Gen Coupe over the G37.

Well, Edmunds makes that 2 for 2 for Hyundai.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...mktid=cj260233
Popular mechanics? Are you kidding me? Anyways, I give credit where it's due, but how about a reality check... I read both articles and the Genesis won the comparisons only because it is dirt cheap, and not because it is a better car. . Using the same criteria, they easily could have compared the G37 with an Accord coupe and the Accord would have won the same way. I mean, both articles admitted that the luxury, amenities, and refinement is not even close, and performance also lags behind in certain areas. You can tell that they are comparing apples and oranges, and the apple won. The only things in common between these two cars are 2 doors and backseats.
Old 02-27-09, 12:04 AM
Epik151
Driver

The G37 Coupe is cheaper than the 335i and yet it didn't manage to take the win even with price considered.

So yes the G37 may be slightly better in many ways, but it doesn't seem to be quite good enough to justify the price difference.

Actually I prefer the styling of the Hyundai as well.

Last edited by Epik151; 02-27-09 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 10:52 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Genesis Track auto $31,750
G37 Sport auto $ $39,315

that's not a $10k difference it's $7,500.
Old 02-27-09, 12:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meowCat
Holly crap...

I just went back to infiniti site for another quote and a fully optioned G37 Coupe runs at price taggie of $47,040. That's 47,040 USD, not CAD.

That is a rip off for that car. I would go pick up another Lexus IS350 if I had money to burn.

It's more like close to $20k difference between the GeneCoupe and the G37 Coupe.

True, but the G37 has a lot of features that the Genesis doesn't...one being a Navigation system which you can now get in a Rav4 for hell's sake. I am thinking that a fully decked out Genesis coupe will be around $33-34K which is still a great deal BUT I also think you get what you pay for.

I can see the argument for spending an extra $10K and getting all the nice touches of the Infiniti...and I can also see the argument for saving your $10K and getting a fun to drive, RWD basic sports coupe like the Genesis.

Different strokes for different folks at the end of the day. Depends on what your priorities are and how much cash you have to burn. Personally I would say the G37 is worth the premium, but again, can see a compelling case for the Genesis.
Old 02-27-09, 12:29 PM
Epik151
Driver

Car nav systems are terrible.

$200 Garmin has them all beat.

The G37 doesn't really have many extra features... it loses the performance value to the Genesis Coupe and loses the luxury battle to the Sedan.
Old 02-27-09, 12:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Epik151
Car nav systems are terrible.

$200 Garmin has them all beat.

The G37 doesn't really have many extra features... it loses the performance value to the Genesis Coupe and loses the luxury battle to the Sedan.

Performance isn't all about straight-line speed. The coupe has always had better handling due to different suspensions, tires, and ride height relative to the sedan counterpart. The G37 coupe has better handling than the G37 sedan. Test drive them both and its obvious.
Old 02-27-09, 02:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gshb
can someone explain to me why hyundai insists on attacking a niche car that sells what, 1000 units a month? wouldnt it make more sense to compare to a mustang gt, rx-8, camaro v6, or challenger r/t?

if i only had 32 grand, why wouldnt i choose the faster v8? or the awesome looking challenger? or the near m3 handling rx-8? or a freakin 422hp camaro?

what?

1. not everyone likes the retro look
2. 70-75% of sales will be 4 banger
3. hyundai priced it a bit high because dealers sell way way less than msrp. (avg. transaction will be 3-4 grand less than msrp, just like all other hyundai lineups)

genesis is a very unique in marketing stand point because it competes against scion, SI, mazda 3 speed, american muscle cars, and G37's of the world.

but at the end of the day, gen coupe will beloved by tuner fans. it's all about modding da shiiite out of that 4 banger. v6 will still sell, but 4 banger will sell twice more.

anyway, by the end of the year, loaded gen coupe will go under 28k OTD. that's how hyundai does business.
Old 02-27-09, 02:53 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

First of all, your math is wrong. The calculator can be found in your computer. Click --> Start | Run | then type "calc" in the open field. It will give you a thing called calculator.

Also, I just ran an estimate on the G37 Sport Coupe 6MT. With a technology package it comes out to: $44,365. That's not including any other accessories or goodies that are available.

The G37 overall has much higher price range.
I clearly compared automatics.

And the G37 technology package consists of:
• Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking
• Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)
• Pre-Crash Seat Belts
features not available on the Genesis coupe (some on the sedan).

you probably mean premium package, except the Genesis doesn't feature power lumbar support, a power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, or a memory system. The way I equipped the G37 it was missing the upgraded audio system and a sunroof.

If you want to compare a G37 w/sport and premium package.

G37 automatic: $42,515.00
G37 manual: $41,015.00

Genesis Track automatic: $31,750
Genesis Track manual: $30,250

Let's see the G37 has the styling of a luxury car, the paint of a luxury car, the interior quality of a luxury car. It has all sorts of luxury amenities like bi-Xenons not found in the Genesis coupe. In reality, the extra price of admission is what one expects from a luxury car. According to PM's logic then no luxury vehicle is worth the extra money then all luxury cars are overpriced. That's like PM comparing a Camry and ES and then concluding the ES is overpriced.
Old 02-27-09, 02:57 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Holly crap...
It's more like close to $20k difference between the GeneCoupe and the G37 Coupe.
you just proved your own bias, you equipped the G37 with tons of features unavailable on the Genesis to inflate the pricing difference.
Old 02-27-09, 02:59 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

That is a rip off for that car. I would go pick up another Lexus IS350 if I had money to burn.
Oh and Lexus is too lame to offer a 2dr IS, the G37 sedan costs much less.
Old 02-27-09, 03:33 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

I still don't see how they "compete" with each other. It seems to me like the media is really the one forcing the comparisons (as always).

Anyhow, the Gen Coupe is a great car for the money in its respective market. The same way the G37 is a great car for the money in its respective market.
Old 02-27-09, 04:29 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

those of you who still hasn't seen one in person, drop by a local dealer and see one(if they have any). i got to see the Nord. gray with brown leather, and it looks so much better in person. it's not pretending to be a luxury coupe, but it's just solid throughout. even the front grill looks good in person and the silver plastic looks better in person too. i tried to nit pick it, but i just couldn't find anything bad about it. it just gave me a huge smile on my face. this will definitely be my next car.
Old 02-27-09, 04:52 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skater
I still don't see how they "compete" with each other. It seems to me like the media is really the one forcing the comparisons (as always).

Anyhow, the Gen Coupe is a great car for the money in its respective market. The same way the G37 is a great car for the money in its respective market.

i disagree.

G37 will lose some sales. overall build quality already is right up there with infiniti. and many people will find that gen coupe looks much better than G37 especially in person. just go check it out in person.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)