Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 06:20 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lawl. of course the g37 will cost more, its the better car. much like how the 335i costs more than the g37 because its better. but actually, the comparison doesnt even work. the g37 comes with a laundry list of stuff you cant get on a gen coupe. no telescoping steering wheel? wtf?

ive been down the road of cutting corners and saving money on stuff. thankfully i dont have to do that anymore, but even so there are so many alternatives that i think are better than a gen coupe.
Old 02-27-09, 06:45 PM
Epik151
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep,the G37 has a lot of ***** you don't need lol.
Old 02-27-09, 06:56 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe80
i disagree.

G37 will lose some sales. overall build quality already is right up there with infiniti. and many people will find that gen coupe looks much better than G37 especially in person. just go check it out in person.
I don't see Infiniti losing any significant sales to the Gen Coupe. It's a win-win situation for the consumer: those who want a G37 and can afford one will still get one, and those who can't afford one have the Genesis Coupe as an option.
Old 02-27-09, 06:58 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Epik151
Yep,the G37 has a lot of ***** you don't need lol.
AKA luxury. No one necessarily needs the extra luxuries and amenities, but its there for people who want it. That's what a luxury car is for.
Old 02-27-09, 07:40 PM
Epik151
Driver

Not just luxury. Unnecessary stuff. Hyundai has hands free bluetooth standard as well as proximity key.

What's the Infiniti got that would make someone in the Hyundai care for even a moment?

The $15k-$20k extra you'll be paying? Infiniti badge? Less of a warranty? More expensive stitching on the seats?
Old 02-27-09, 10:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

infiniti is not a bmw, mb, audi or lexus. i can see plenty of acura/infiniti/sti/evo buyers jumping ship to gen coupe in this bad economy.
Old 02-27-09, 10:19 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Epik151
Not just luxury. Unnecessary stuff. Hyundai has hands free bluetooth standard as well as proximity key.

What's the Infiniti got that would make someone in the Hyundai care for even a moment?

The $15k-$20k extra you'll be paying? Infiniti badge? Less of a warranty? More expensive stitching on the seats?
Can you name those "unnecessary stuff"? With this logic, im sure you will find many "unnecessary stuff" in many luxury cars, especially Lexus.

One of the many ideas behind luxury is offering something that the ordinary doesn't.

And where are you getting 15-20k? A base automatic G37 Coupe can be had for 35.9k and a base automatic Gen Coupe 3.8 can be had for 26,500.

If you want to be biased, of course you can always compare a fully loaded G37 with options/packages that don't exist in the Gen Coupe against a base Gen Coupe 3.8.

I find it hard to believe that a few of you are doubting if the extra premium is worth it in a Lexus forum. No doubt the Gen Coupe is a bargain. The same way the G37 is a great value in its respective market.
Old 02-27-09, 10:19 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gshb
lawl. of course the g37 will cost more, its the better car. much like how the 335i costs more than the g37 because its better. but actually, the comparison doesnt even work. the g37 comes with a laundry list of stuff you cant get on a gen coupe. no telescoping steering wheel? wtf?

ive been down the road of cutting corners and saving money on stuff. thankfully i dont have to do that anymore, but even so there are so many alternatives that i think are better than a gen coupe.

please name me those alternatives.

i don't know any sub 30k RWD better than gen coupe. only thing i can think of is 370z, but still comparably equipped 370z is 6-7 grand more and it seats 2.
Old 02-27-09, 10:22 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

infiniti is not a bmw, mb, audi or lexus. i can see plenty of acura/infiniti/sti/evo buyers jumping ship to gen coupe in this bad economy.
Infiniti is not BMW/MB/Audi/Lexus but you group with with cars like the STi or EVO which is a completely different market/class? Interesting.
Old 02-27-09, 10:30 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i predict hyundai will sell twice more gen coupe than g37. maybe more. and there will be tons of last gen tsx/tl/g35 owners jump shipping like i'm.
Old 02-27-09, 10:36 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

i predict hyundai will sell twice more gen coupe than g37. maybe more. and there will be tons of last gen tsx/tl/g35 owners jump shipping like i'm.
Well its not that hard to believe that a 22-30k car will sell more than a 35-45k car, especially in this economy.
Old 02-27-09, 10:36 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skater
Infiniti is not BMW/MB/Audi/Lexus but you group with with cars like the STi or EVO which is a completely different market/class? Interesting.
people cross shop g37/sti/evo/tsx/tl all the time. at least that's what my friends do.

basically this is how people buy cars. this isn't my opinion. it's a fact. i have more than 15 buddies(all from U of M) who had same dilemma.

1. budget under 35k-40k
2. something fun
3. used or new?

then comes priority.
luxury? 4 banger turbo? v6? v8? 4 door? 2 door? 0-60? badge? etc, etc

it's very simple. just recently my friend chose acura TL(yuck) over evo. it happens all the time. basically if it is manual, fun and priced between 30k-40k people will cross shop.
Old 02-27-09, 10:39 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

people cross shop g37/sti/evo/tsx/tl all the time. at least that's what my friends do.

basically this is how people buy cars. this isn't my opinion. it's a fact. i have more than 15 buddies(all from U of M) who had same dilemma.

1. budget under 35k-40k
2. something fun
3. used or new?

then comes priority.
luxury? 4 banger turbo? v6? v8? 4 door? 2 door? 0-60? badge? etc, etc

it's very simple. just recently my friend chose acura TL(yuck) over evo. it happens all the time. basically if it is manual, fun and priced between 30k-40k people will cross shop.
Yes, it does happen. But you have to keep in mind that's a minority of the people. Go to a G37/TL dealership and then to a EVO/STi. The majority of the demographics will obviously differ.

One of my friends was cross shopping between an EVO & a 335i. That doesn't mean that happens most of the time.
Old 02-27-09, 10:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skater
Well its not that hard to believe that a 22-30k car will sell more than a 35-45k car, especially in this economy.
you just proved my point. many potential g37coupe buyers could 'settle' for gen coupe. you might think it's extreme, but i don't.
Old 02-27-09, 10:45 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

you just proved my point. many potential g37coupe buyers could 'settle' for gen coupe. you might think it's extreme, but i don't.
What you just stated wasn't my point. My point was someone who can afford a G37 and actually wants one isn't going to suddenly get a Gen Coupe. Like in all cases, it happens all the time with every type of car out there. But I don't see that being done frequently.

I understand your point though. And we can go around in circles since this is all "speaking in general" and theoretical talk. Let's just agree to disagree

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)