Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 10:47 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
Yes, it does happen. But you have to keep in mind that's a minority of the people. Go to a G37/TL dealership and then to a EVO/STi. The demographics will obviously differ.

One of my friends was cross shopping between an EVO & a 335i. That doesn't mean that happens most of the time.
not really. mostly 20's to 40's. the similar price range. 35k-40k. just want something fast with lots of power. i can't even count how many people crossshopped evo's and g35 coupe few years back. i mean basically most of them were cross shopping

evo
g35c
350z
sti
3 series
a4
TL/TSX
RX-8
IS

you got my point. between 30k-40k for most of my buddies and many people i know from forums after forums.
Old 02-28-09, 01:27 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joe80
not really. mostly 20's to 40's. the similar price range. 35k-40k. just want something fast with lots of power. i can't even count how many people crossshopped evo's and g35 coupe few years back. i mean basically most of them were cross shopping

evo
g35c
350z
sti
3 series
a4
TL/TSX
RX-8
IS

you got my point. between 30k-40k for most of my buddies and many people i know from forums after forums.
The reality is these companies spend millions mapping out demographic and buyer ranges. They know exactly what their customers are cross shopping their product with. Your scientific method of using some of your buddies isn't realistic on a macro scale.
Old 02-28-09, 01:57 PM
Epik151
Driver

This is how I see it. The Genesis Coupe is not as polished a vehicle as the G37 or 335i.

But imagine how the owners of these "luxury sports vehicles" feels when there's a car out there that costs tens of thousands less but matches not just straight line numbers, but handles just as well if not better in the twisties and has great driving feel. The Gen coupe is also a beautiful car that doesn't look as cheap as the sti or evo.

Now, these G37/335i owners are NOT going to go out and buy a Genesis Coupe. They're already sitting in these cars looking in envy at M3s and ISFs. They're the ones who scoff and ridicule comparisons with the Hyundai saying it's apples to oranges. They'd rather go on in denial than have to face the music.

But there are people in civics, gtis, camrys, accords, scions, who will take a look and see it as an incredible value. Because this car is a game changer.

So there are lots of people who are going to benefit from this car and enjoy it while the G37/335 people go on and on about "getting what you pay for" and "you can't put a price on luxury".

I like nice things as much as the next person. But sitting down in each of these cars, what exactly do you think is so different that it's worth paying even $5,000 more for? Besides what you think other people will think of you.

Christ the Gen coupe even has a proximity key which is one of the few actually useful "luxury" options in higher end cars.

So even if someone thinks that the power telescopic steering wheel and analog clock puts the G37/335 on a whole different level than the Gen Coupe, it doesn't matter because the Gen Coupe still beats so many cars in and above it's price range.

This is good for the consumer, if said consumer can deal with it still being a Hyundai.
Old 02-28-09, 06:22 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
The reality is these companies spend millions mapping out demographic and buyer ranges. They know exactly what their customers are cross shopping their product with. Your scientific method of using some of your buddies isn't realistic on a macro scale.
i've been posting thousands posts on automotive forums since 2001. i was a dedicated poster at acura, bimmer, evo/sti, SI, nissan forums. and it's pretty obvious to me what young guys want. it's basically a FACT that those cars i've listed above are cross shopped frequently for young guys who can afford 30k+ cars.

i can't tell you what % of people are cross shopping entry luxo coupe to sports cars, but i'm sure there are tons of them.
Old 02-28-09, 06:29 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

genesis has been cross shopped with 5, E, LS, ES, A6, GS, M, CTS, STS, TL, and etc. it's not my opinion. go check genesisowners.com, and read the recent reports.

it's going to be a trend because of the bad economy, and hyundai's emerging quality.
Old 02-28-09, 06:41 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Old 02-28-09, 06:43 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two different kinds of "cross shopped" if you ask me:

1. "I have considered that car"

2. "I actually went to the dealership, talked to the sales and test drove the car"

So which one were you talking about?
Old 02-28-09, 07:10 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

test driving.
Old 02-28-09, 07:33 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

test driving.
So from this:

evo
g35c
350z
sti
3 series
a4
TL/TSX
RX-8
IS
You were telling us that your friends actually went test drove ALL of those cars before they made a decision?

Again, ALL of those cars?
Old 02-28-09, 08:21 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

no

i think on avg. people test drive about 4-6 cars before they make decisions.

i think i test drove about 6-7 cars when i bought my acura cls back in the days. about 4-5 when i bought my 03 MDX.

there are many people in this world who just don't know what they want. when i was attending michigan, almost all my friends were into 3/A4/G35/IS/STI/EVO/RX8. we just wanted something fast, something popular and respectable. and people cross shop those cars all the time.

i'm not saying everyone i know were cross shopping 3 with evo's. but there are many of them out there who is just want something fast with manual tranny.
Old 02-28-09, 08:28 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

if i had 35-50k to spend than i would test drive all of the above especially in summer. but my next car will be 25k, so most likely i'm just gonna go with a gen coupe 4 banger. i can't really think of anything else. i had 07 civic SI, and i really hated it. never been a fan of mazda3speed because it's a hatch.
Old 02-28-09, 11:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

still a great deal.... even if it doesnt handle well on a track or pull like a train on the qtr mile track. Most people will not be doing anything with the car that resembles that on a regular basis. For the money its a great car for the money. It can be rimmed up, dropped, and mildly tuned for a nice clean ride with a great look and even better warranty
Old 03-01-09, 07:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

For the most part, if you're cross shopping the Gen Coupe, it's going to be against another coupe. Therefore, cars like the TC, Mustang, 370Z, RX-8, and possibly, G35's will be it's main competition. Although I'm sure it does happen, on rare occasion, but generally speaking, A Genesis Coupe will not be cross shopped with an Evo, STI, TSX, TL, 3, A4, or IS. Hyundai isn't counting on it either. I think the Gen Coupe will be a great step up for buyers coming from RSX's, TC's, SI,s Accord Coupes, etc.
Old 03-01-09, 01:54 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont forget the new Camaro The v6 model should give the mustang GT a run for its money
Old 03-01-09, 09:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

just found this on the autoblog site stating that the Genesis beat the G37 in the first comparison

While we're working on our own shoot-out between the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and a yet-to-be-named contender, the crew at Inside Line put Hyundai's new rear-wheel-drive two-door against one of its strongest opponents: the Infiniti G37.

IL's 3.8-liter V6 Genesis Coupe tester came equipped with the Track pack, which includes a stiffer suspension, limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes and 19-inch wheels, along with the standard six-speed manual. The sticker? $30,375, or $6,625 less than a base model Infiniti G37. For the extra scratch, the Infiniti is a more luxurious package and carries a bit of badge snobbery, but performance and driver engagement are the metrics we're interested in and the Hyundai proved to be a serious contender.

The G is packing more power from less displacement (330 vs. 306 hp), a bit more torque (270 vs. 266 lb-ft) and revs higher (7,600 vs. 6,800 rpm). But it's also packing the pounds. The Infiniti tips the scales at 3,709 pounds, while the Genesis Coupe comes in just under 3,500 pounds.

IL performed its usual battery of tests, along with a dyno run, and deemed the G37 a better vehicle on the road from both a driving and livability standpoint, but gave props to the Genesis for its competence on the track and predictable handling characteristics. Both cars were remarkably close in the performance department, with the Hyundai taking the win on the skid-pad, while falling short on the sprint to 60, quarter-mile time and slalom run.

IL's conclusion: For two-thirds the cost of the Infiniti G37, the Genesis Coupe 3.8 gives you more bang for the buck and deserves a place on any enthusiast's short-list. Look out for our own review – including the 2.0T model – soon, but in the meantime, read IL's full comparo here.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)