Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 09:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

we are going to be seeing a lot of pictures like this over the next year. The Genesis has the G37 square in its sights. I just watched the speed channel 1 hr show on the genesis and they loved it as well. It cant be beat for the money
Attached Thumbnails Edmunds: Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track (updated - MT, Auto, C&D tests)-g37-genesis-comparo-il-580op.jpg  
Old 03-01-09, 11:54 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

popular mechanics chose gen coupe over G37 as well

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4306387.html

basically you are getting 95% of the car while paying 2/3 of the price.
Old 03-02-09, 12:10 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe80
popular mechanics chose gen coupe over G37 as well

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4306387.html

basically you are getting 95% of the car while paying 2/3 of the price.
In my opinion, the G37 is ~10k more, but is 10k more car for the simple reason that the G37 is a luxury car that offers many more options (and standard features) that aren't even available in the Gen Coupe. And the slightly but significant better overall performance is just the icing on the cake.

I know the argument is whether or not its worth dishing out the extra cash. Every review has concluded that the G37 is the better car in every aspect, but ofcourse, for a significant amount of money.

The main reason I don't see these 2 cars as direct competitors is that one of them is "luxury" oriented. That makes a big difference in regards to what is offered on that car and of course pricing.

You can use the same argument for so many cars out there. The Gen Coupe looks like a great value compared to the G37. The G37 looks like a great value compared to the 335i (though less extreme in pricing). The 335i looks like a value compared to the S5. Etc, etc, etc.

Now, so it doesn't seem like im bashing the Gen Coupe, this is the car I would get hands down if I were looking for a car between 22-27k.
Old 03-02-09, 12:42 PM
Epik151
Driver

What options and standard features in the G37 make it worth the extra dough, in your opinion?
Old 03-02-09, 12:43 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gotta say, these mags are either forcing the comparison or they are playing dumb, which cant be the case. but i have to say, hyundai marketing is quite aggressive and it obviously works thanks to new found hyundai fanboys.

people watch the ads and associate hyundai with luxury brands. they will stress every single award they win and claim its proof, hyundai is better. someone who has only 30k to spend will obviously skip the luxury brands. so they goto the hyundai dealership and say hey this is the car they said is better than lexus, bmw, infiniti, et al. they then goto toyota or the big 3, the real competitors, and remember hyundai being compared to a luxury car but dont remember toyota or the big 3 doing the same. boom, perceived luxury association and potential sale for hyundai.

its not often that mere name dropping wins, but i think its actually great to see it in action. if hyundai succeeds (and so far i dont think they have with genesis sedan sales being low) then its a marketing lesson i will definitely remember for myself. and its perfect for hyundai as well for future expansion plans. convince enough non luxury car buyers to get in a hyundai. then down the road start a new full on luxury brand and have them move up while fighting for new customers.
Old 03-02-09, 04:17 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

The discussion strayed from "Which is the best car" to "What makes car X worth N amount more than car Y", because it is clear that the G37 is the better car in pretty much all aspects, so now the argument is how much better. Honestly, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the Genesis was a true competitor to the G37. Regardless, it's impossible to argue the value of certain features or intangibles, as it is different depending on the buyer's priorities and/or preferences. Also, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and just listing features does not equate to the entire experience of the vehicle. As such, it is a bit pointless to say whether the Genesis is really worth 90% or 50% of the G37, because it will vary and all opinions are valid.

This is where Hyundai is very smart to compare its car to something that's out of its league. By doing so, they are able to market this car to folks who do not have the budget to buy the G37, but wants something "similar" for cheaper.

I disagree with the notion that people who are in the market for the 35-45k sports "saloon" would cross shop the G37 with the Genesis. It's not so hard to scout demographics. All it takes is a few minutes to visit the popular Genesis forums, and you'll see that most of the prospective buyers are coming from the RSX, Eclipse, Civic Si, WRX, Lancer, Cobalt, Tiburon, Elantra, etc. There are no "Should I buy the Genesis or the G37" threads, but there are plenty of "Genesis is 1337 and it's better than G37 LOL" threads. Ok the last part is a bit exaggerated, but you get my point. Now, if you visit the STi, Evo, or G35 forums, there is some muted curiosity about the Genesis, but nothing that would indicate that the buyers are actually looking for the Genesis as a viable alternative to what they want.

I also disagree that the economy will cause the Genesis to "steal" market share from the G37. First of all, you can't steal market share unless you are in the same market. Secondly, if the economy causes people to not be able to afford the G37, then they have fallen out of G37s target market, so if they end up buying a Genesis, it's not really taking up any market share because that share wasn't available in the first place. Lastly, (And this is up for debate) if existing G35 owners no longer have money to buy a new G37, they wouldn't "downgrade" to a Genesis. They'd simply keep their G35 for longer.
Old 03-02-09, 04:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
I also disagree that the economy will cause the Genesis to "steal" market share from the G37. First of all, you can't steal market share unless you are in the same market. Secondly, if the economy causes people to not be able to afford the G37, then they have fallen out of G37s target market, so if they end up buying a Genesis, it's not really taking up any market share because that share wasn't available in the first place. Lastly, (And this is up for debate) if existing G35 owners no longer have money to buy a new G37, they wouldn't "downgrade" to a Genesis. They'd simply keep their G35 for longer.
Thank you for the rational line of thinking. I simply don't see how these two will be cross-shopped heavily. In fact, I think the G37 isn't as popular as the G35 coupe was because a) it didn't look as good and b) it only improved performance a tiny bit. The Genesis is really no faster than the last gen G35 coupe (which also had 0-60 times in the 5.5 to 6.0 range).

I still think the G35 coupe looks better than either the G37 and Genesis.
Old 03-02-09, 06:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
i gotta say, these mags are either forcing the comparison or they are playing dumb, which cant be the case. but i have to say, hyundai marketing is quite aggressive and it obviously works thanks to new found hyundai fanboys.

people watch the ads and associate hyundai with luxury brands. they will stress every single award they win and claim its proof, hyundai is better. someone who has only 30k to spend will obviously skip the luxury brands. so they goto the hyundai dealership and say hey this is the car they said is better than lexus, bmw, infiniti, et al. they then goto toyota or the big 3, the real competitors, and remember hyundai being compared to a luxury car but dont remember toyota or the big 3 doing the same. boom, perceived luxury association and potential sale for hyundai.

its not often that mere name dropping wins, but i think its actually great to see it in action. if hyundai succeeds (and so far i dont think they have with genesis sedan sales being low) then its a marketing lesson i will definitely remember for myself. and its perfect for hyundai as well for future expansion plans. convince enough non luxury car buyers to get in a hyundai. then down the road start a new full on luxury brand and have them move up while fighting for new customers.
i dont think people actually do... some forum readers maybe, and PR's... but not real people.

once people get into these cars, they will be able to see the difference... just like they do with RX and Highlander.
Old 03-02-09, 07:25 PM
Epik151
Driver

Two people I personally know have gone from RX to Veracruz and state without hesitation that it is the better car.

The Genesis Coupe isn't as upscale as the Veracruz or Genesis Sedan but I'm just saying. I didn't believe it at first but they were not kidding around.