Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any speculation on the 4th generation GS launch??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 03:03 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Any speculation on the 4th generation GS launch??

I have heard rumours of the next gen GS to arrive in 11 as a MY 12 car.... has anyone heard of any real info on the next GS?? the current GS was sold in early 05 as an 06 model, in fact it was debuted in early 04.....I think it is time for a new GS....
Old 02-26-09, 07:34 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the next GS should be out in 2010 model as a 2011.

The Toyota Avalon should be out first and if there is any special technology, it should be a forcast for what would be in the next gen GS.

Lexus does have the GX to worry about first before the sedan should be arriving.
Old 02-26-09, 07:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As with previous Lexus launches, very hush-hush and few leaks before it comes, but it may be some ways off...look for Japanese car mags to have possibly close-to-the-money renderings, in some cases...

It's safe to say that there are quite a lot of expectations riding on the next GS, with Lexus going global, the midsized sedan market is a huge area and critical for Lexus to grow. However there is the ES which partly competes particularly in the US despite being FWD and entry-level. An outside possibility is that the GS may take a markedly different form, but that is just a guess.
Old 02-26-09, 07:41 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

if its on a 6 year cycle then it'd come out in Feb 2011 as a 2011 MY

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 02-26-09 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-26-09, 07:49 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
if its on a 6 year cycle then it'd come out in Feb 2011 as a 2011 MY
I don't believe this is true. First gen was a 7 model years cycle. 2nd cen was an 8 year cycle.
Old 02-26-09, 07:58 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I don't believe this is true. First gen was a 7 model years cycle. 2nd cen was an 8 year cycle.
I'm not disputing the accuracy of your statement, but I do think that that is simply far too long between new gen's.

I'm very interested to see if the GS is the 4th model that will be previewed this year. Frankly, if Lexus doesn't release a GS-F version in the next 2 years, my current F will likely be the last Lexus car that I will buy. We are happy with the RX's and the wife seems to want a new one, but a competitive, new GS is critical to Lexus' credibility.
Old 02-26-09, 08:09 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'm not disputing the accuracy of your statement, but I do think that that is simply far too long between new gen's.

I'm very interested to see if the GS is the 4th model that will be previewed this year. Frankly, if Lexus doesn't release a GS-F version in the next 2 years, my current F will likely be the last Lexus car that I will buy. We are happy with the RX's and the wife seems to want a new one, but a competitive, new GS is critical to Lexus' credibility.

No worries if you dispute. The long term cycles are because Lexus cars are made for worldwide sales. Most markets outside of North America does not demand that the vehicles be refreshed as fast.

The two most important Lexus models that sell in high volumes in the United States are the ES and RX. Both of these vehicles are on very short cycles. Especially the ES which is 5 years (like Camry, Avalon, etc)
The RX also is now built in North America which raises profit margins for domestic sales.

The long term cycle of the GS (outdated IMO) has allowed vehicles like the Genesis to move ahead in performance and price.

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-26-09 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-26-09, 08:12 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

It feels like the current GS just came out not long ago.
Old 02-26-09, 08:34 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
It feels like the current GS just came out not long ago.
My car is 4 years old in 3 days !!!! I actually remember the current GS was debuted / previewed at a Car show in 2004....
Old 02-26-09, 10:33 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
the latest GS shares a platform with the IS so it won't live as long. Plus Toyota got rid of at least one platform. The IS/Mark X and Crown/GS all basically share a single platform. Previously, I believe there was the Artisto/GS, Crown, and another Altezza/IS platform. That's basically two or three platforms combined into a one which will significantly cut development times.

Also, the GS and IS received a mid-cycle refresh after 4 years on the market, which would indicate their lives won't exceed 6 years.

I wouldn't wait for a GS-f, Toyota can't possibly launch something like that in the current marketplace, they have more pressing matters to focus on now.
Old 02-26-09, 10:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

very interesting to see what they come with. they have to get this right, because there are a lot of E class and 5 Series sales to steal. a huge market for the mid sized sedan.
Old 02-27-09, 05:39 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I was in the market for a new GS but want to wait to see what the 4th Gen looks like. I wasnt really thrilled with the 3rd gen thats why I didnt get one. If the 4th Gen is unimpressive I will just get an LS
Old 02-27-09, 06:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No pics, vids, teasers to be found. Lexus needs to stop the ultra conservatism attitude and let loose.. Start showing the Lexus enthusiasts the developmental of your upcoming models.. Put an end to the bed spring runaway train suspensions & have Lotus tune the suspension for the upcoming Grand Sport. Start listening to your enthusiasts Lexus!
Old 02-27-09, 12:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

As important as the GS/E-class/5 series class of cars is, I think the sweet spot for sales volume has moved to the smaller class of cars (IS/C/3). It's even more important that they get the smaller class of car right.

Are we assuming the new IS will be derived from the new GS again? If so I guess the new IS will come out in the same model year.
Old 02-27-09, 09:04 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
No pics, vids, teasers to be found. Lexus needs to stop the ultra conservatism attitude and let loose..
This is what makes Toyota so successful. The way they sell and market their products is outstanding. Toyota does not want you to wait or order their products. They want you to buy their products that are on the lot.

Recently the redesigns have a little more exposure than usually.

Quick Reply: Any speculation on the 4th generation GS launch??