Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Launch Ultra Luxury Brand

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09 | 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
No, that is Toyota's fault. They launched the Lexus brand in NA and then rebadged those vehicle in JDM as Toyota (Celsior, Soarer, Harrier, Altezza, etc.).
Of course there were similarities, but, in most cases they were far from a simple rebadging. The Lexus versions, in general, had much better interiors and road noise isolation, as befitted a luxury car.

The original ES250, however (I admit), was little more than a rebadged Camry, and you'll notice it didn't last very long.

They compunded the confusion by rebadging some Toyota SUV as Lexus until the release of the RX. They further muddled the waters by releasing the Toyota Highlander that is a repackaged RX chassis.
Both the Highlander and RX are ultimately Camry-based, but if you drive the two, you will find the RX to be FAR more refined.......there is little or no comparison to the Highlander, in that regard.
Old 02-28-09 | 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=mmarshall;4297518

Both the Highlander and RX are ultimately Camry-based, but if you drive the two, you will find the RX to be FAR more refined.......there is little or no comparison to the Highlander, in that regard.[/QUOTE]

IMHO, I've driven both and found only a small difference in refinement, but of course that's subjective and almost meaningless anyway. On paper these 2 vehicles with similar engines match up quite well. And both vehicles have so-so performance in all areas which is appropriate for the targeted market. These are not drivers cars in any way.
Old 02-28-09 | 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, I've driven both and found only a small difference in refinement, but of course that's subjective and almost meaningless anyway. On paper these 2 vehicles with similar engines match up quite well. And both vehicles have so-so performance in all areas which is appropriate for the targeted market. These are not drivers cars in any way.
Of course they are not "Drivers' Cars" in the sense of BMWs or Mazdas. No Camry-derived vehicle is.....for a number of reasons.

Drive the new 2010 RX350, though (if you get a chance), and see if you don't agree with me that the drivetrain's butter-smoothness and chassis noise isolation is superb. It is not as smooth-riding as an LS460 (for several reasons), but almost as quiet.

I recently, just a couple of weeks ago, did a review on the new RX350, and did the new Highlander Limited about a year or so ago. The RX, IMO, was noticeably more refined.
Old 02-28-09 | 04:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course they are not "Drivers' Cars" in the sense of BMWs or Mazdas. No Camry-derived vehicle is.....for a number of reasons.

Drive the new 2010 RX350, though (if you get a chance), and see if you don't agree with me that the drivetrain's butter-smoothness and chassis noise isolation is superb. It is not as smooth-riding as an LS460 (for several reasons), but almost as quiet.

I recently, just a couple of weeks ago, did a review on the new RX350, and did the new Highlander Limited about a year or so ago. The RX, IMO, was noticeably more refined.
Yes, I drove both (including the 2010 RX350), both buttery smooth, nicely isolated, a bit numb. Toyota/Lexus are the masters at this.
Old 02-28-09 | 04:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diemellz
i was thinking the same thing. sometimes Lexus/Toyota be thinking backwards, why the hell is they focusing on ultra luxury cars when there current line up needs help

no real "sports" coupe, no real "sports" sedan and the top model hybrid is just a joke? is it me or the Venza looks more like the RX concept, while the RX looks like an camry on steroids
I agree. There is a lot missing from the Lexus line up that needs rectifying.
Plus, Lexus couldn't even bring the LFA to market. How can they do an ultra luxury line. Something I keep repeating...Lexus has made it to the top and greed has made them stand pat. Seems logical too. If they made it with what the current offerings are, why change things.

Add me to the "I'll believe it when I see it" group.
Old 02-28-09 | 11:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think they may compete with the higher end Benzs , but not with a Bentley or Rolls
Attached Thumbnails Lexus to Launch Ultra Luxury Brand-2620792398_f3b09b70cd.jpg  
Old 03-01-09 | 01:00 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Of course there were similarities, but, in most cases they were far from a simple rebadging. The Lexus versions, in general, had much better interiors and road noise isolation, as befitted a luxury car.
Both the Highlander and RX are ultimately Camry-based, but if you drive the two, you will find the RX to be FAR more refined.......there is little or no comparison to the Highlander, in that regard.

Even if its more than a simple rebadge, Lexus is Toyota. So its neither the companies fault nor the buyers fault. It is what it is.
As my dad proved to me, its hard to convince stubborn old men that a lexus is better than a merc, or other german manufactured cars. A bit better than a Toyota doesnt cut it for some people.

If Toyota, make a brand of cars, better than a Lex, and people want to start saying oh said brand is just a lexus, i think that would improve sales of lexus vehicles overa;; (more poeple would want to be related to the brand).
And the state of the economy will help said new brand take sales away from rolls royce and bently. And ofcourse, since its toyota ull see hybrid galour, so the economy and the enviroment will be hugen factures in people buying this car
Old 03-01-09 | 10:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The original ES250, however (I admit), was little more than a rebadged Camry, and you'll notice it didn't last very long.

The RX versus Highlander is not the best way to make this case about a rebadge since it shares so much hardware and basic architecture. From an engineering standpoint it's awfully close to badge engineering just like the ES350/Camry. Sure you can debate which car is most numb and soft riding but underneath there is a lot of shared mechanical hardware.

Certain Lexus products are unique and have almost no shared hardware and architecture with equivalent Toyota products in the US:

ISX50/IS-F (there is no rwd Toyota equivalent, since it's GS derived)
GSxxx (again no rwd Toyota equivalent, of course)
LSxxx (no Toyota equivalent)
Old 01-12-11 | 01:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I would definitely be buying one if Lexus ever come out with an ultra premium brand. Since I am already maxed out with Lexus with my LS430 UL and SC430, the only upgrade for me is European brands right now.

I have test driven a few used Bentley Arnage and let me tell you they are inferior to my LS430 in many ways. You won't believe it until you drive them, I sure didn't believe what I saw and felt.

The main reason Bentley and RR cost so much more is due to them being low volume, hand build and the badge preimum, not because they are 3-4 times nicer then a Lexus LS.

Maybach failed is because it is based on the worst W220 S-class ever built, it looks too similar and cost too much. Few people want a rebadge S-class over a Phantom and Arnage for the same price.

I say if Lexus make an Ultra Luxury Brand, make an ultra nice and huge LS with a V12 they already have and price it around $160k-$200k, it would sell for sure. I would definitely buy one.

The LS600 didn't do well is because it is getting into AMG and 760Li price range without a highend brand and no V12. That whole V12 performance with the efficiency of a V8 don't work, you have to have an actual V12. Just like how Acura is stuck where they are without a V8, doesn't matter how much power the V6 makes, it is still a V6 and no V6 ever feels like a V8.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-12-11 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-12-11 | 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

holy 2 year thread bump...
Old 01-12-11 | 02:42 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Crap... I was hoping there was some news about this. You got my hopes up!
Old 01-12-11 | 02:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i'm going to close this since there's nothing new.