Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, I'll Say It, The '09 Acura TL Is As Good Or Better Than The 5, E-Class, A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 08:30 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on your purchase, but the car must die.
Old 03-02-09, 10:47 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Being an owner of a '02 Type S, I posted on Acurazine that I will definitely buy the '09 TL SH-AD when it comes out. And, when the regular one came out, I was one of the first to show up to test drive it. In person, this car is hedious, and drives just like my '02, which is good, but why should I pay $40k for a car when it feels just like my current vehicle.

Also, it's 2009, so why does this thing only have a 5sp auto, especially when it proclaims to be a high-tech car???
Old 03-02-09, 11:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
you must be out of your mind. RL is worth about 35k, no more no less. sure it has a great looking interior but the rest of the car is boring and lackluster. park it next to accord and accord has more presence. park it next to genesis, and you would think genesis would cost 20k more than RL.

and about driving.. which 50k car doesn't drive well? name one. every cars drive well in this segment. gs460, E, 5, A6 and etc. all of them are great cars. but seriously RL has nothing on any of those cars i've mentioned. go drive genesis, and genesis kills RL in every category.

by the way, i've driven RL for about 2 months. my best friend let me drive it while he was vacationing in Korea. it's a good car but it's better suited to be an accord rather than acura's flagship.

basically it's a disgrace and a failed attempt by acura.
I certainly had a very different experience with the RL then you and I don't feel it is a 35K car unless you put all its competition E class, GS, M, 5 series at 35K also. The RL drove just as nice as the competition although it did not offer the feedback and sporty drive as the 5 series or M45. The RL certainly drove better then the 3rd Gen GS430 and GS300 I test drove or my 2nd Gen GS430 and has a nicer more solid high quality interior. As far as looks the RL is a very nice elegant looking car but yes it does not stand out much but neither does the GS,A6, or M. The only thing I don't like about the RL is the rear end which could have been done better. The 5 series just does not look good to me and the interior is terrible. The E class, especially with the update and in black is a beautiful car and looks expensive and elegant inside and out but once you start feeling some materials inside and pressing buttons you can tell their was cost cutting but I would have to say the E class is the best looking car in the segment. The A6 did not really stand out much in the drive interior department and was not any nicer then the RL.

I have not sat in the Genesis yet or test drove it. I am not all that impressed with the looks of the interior design from the pics and many areas especially the center stack do not look all that upscale, I have seen a few on the road and they don't really stand out much and look like a mish mash of several cars but it has a nice unoffending look to it, the grill is a bit odd though but I am impressed Hyundai offers a car like this at a fairly low price but it does not seem like the buying public has really got into this vehicle. Reviews on how the Genesis drives/handles have been mixed but I am sure they are fine for most needs. The Genesis is a vehicle I would put on my list to consider as it offers alot of car for the money but the RL has better detailing and a much nicer interior and I know the RL drives very well from past experience.

I don't know how you can say the RL is a disgrace as it is a very nice and well done vehicle, it has proven well built, reliable, and safe and aside from rwd and a v8 option offers pretty much everything its competition offers at a lower price and many feel has the nicest interior of all its competition. It gets very good reviews from most auto sources. It was not as well received as the last Gen Legend nor has the classic looks of the last Legend coupe but it is still a great car. It's lack of sales have more to do with marketing, lack of drivetrain options, styling not standing out enough, and most importantly the last RL being a letdown and lackluster then the RL being a bad car or not able to compete.
Old 03-02-09, 11:33 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The TL is an amzing car for its class. The tech and the gadgets make the G35/37 and the IS seem slightly dated. Yes the grille is busted as hell, but that can be replaced or loved after a while
what does it have that the G and IS dont?
Old 03-02-09, 11:36 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FKL
cheap, flibsy, and generally wholly out of place plastic door pulls.
this i agree.
Old 03-02-09, 11:47 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shyguy16
what does it have that the G and IS dont?
Some kind of satellite A/C system. The system uses GPS (I think) to determine which side the Sun is relative to the car in order to adjust the A/C.

Totally pointless if you ask me, might as well save the money for a RWD platform, new automatic tranny or better V6 engine....
Old 03-02-09, 11:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't know how you can say the RL is a disgrace as it is a very nice and well done vehicle, it has proven well built, reliable, and safe and aside from rwd and a v8 option offers pretty much everything its competition offers at a lower price and many feel has the nicest interior of all its competition. It gets very good reviews from most auto sources. It was not as well received as the last Gen Legend nor has the classic looks of the last Legend coupe but it is still a great car. It's lack of sales have more to do with marketing, lack of drivetrain options, styling not standing out enough, and most importantly the last RL being a letdown and lackluster then the RL being a bad car or not able to compete.
As compated to the GS and the M, I agree, the RL cannot be classified as a 'disgrace'. The refresh made an otherwise unnoticable car more noticeable in that it's ugly. The RL may not stand out above these other cars, but it's certainly competitive.

Added to this is now you can by an AWD TL with more hp, and the car is about the same size (or bigger maybe, I forget), for $8,000 less than the RL. That certainly is a disgrace. You can argue that the RL has finer interior materials, etc, but I just don't see how you let your mid level sedan creep that far up the ladder to potentially gobble up buyers from the RL.

Where the RL is labeled (at least on CL) as 'disgrace' is that the RL is the Acura flagship, and we are comparing it to the GS, M35, E Class and 5 Series--all of which are mid-level models for the other makes. Acura just doesn't compete on the true flagship sedan level.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-02-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 12:00 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I haven't driven the new TL with the SH-AWD yet, but if it drives anything like the RL, you have to drive it like a RWD car and not a FWD car. If you think if it as a FWD car and drive it like so, it behaves like a FWD car. Drive it like a RWD car and at least the RL IMHO had a much more neutral handling aspect about it even more than many RWD cars. One thing people forget about the SH-AWD system is the system doesn't really work if you lift off the gas pedal. You have to be on the gas then the system will distribute the torque and power to the correct wheels and it will transform the driving behavior of the car.
I drove the FWD model only and even then I never came close to driving it at the limits of traction where SH-AWD would have made a difference.

I'm simply referring to steering response, lean, chassis behavior, etc.
Old 03-02-09, 12:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Some kind of satellite A/C system. The system uses GPS (I think) to determine which side the Sun is relative to the car in order to adjust the A/C.

Totally pointless if you ask me, might as well save the money for a RWD platform, new automatic tranny or better V6 engine....
Acura does have a few tech bits that aren't available in the IS/GS. There's that AC thing that you mentioned along with the satellite traffic thing. I personally don't like the **** controller that Honda/Acura uses.
Old 03-02-09, 12:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the new TL. I see a lot of them on the streets of NYC. I must test drive this car for myself to assess..
Old 03-02-09, 12:54 PM
Lexwang07

l saw a some asian housewives drove new Acura TL. My thought, so dame ugly. I dislike Acura TL new grille.
Old 03-02-09, 01:01 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

TL has no direct injection,no lane departure, no park assist, not even adaptive xenon lighting. There's also a 5 speed auto. Hardly "advancing" on any sort of innovation/ technology front.
Old 03-02-09, 01:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear the grill does something magical during a full moon. Is this true?
Old 03-02-09, 01:26 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I hear the grill does something magical during a full moon. Is this true?
Yes, it'll become a Unicorn...

Old 03-02-09, 01:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm one of the few that happen to like the new TL...sans the front grill. It looks like a toothless grin. The rest of the car is sort of muscularly stylish with a combination of hard creases and round surfaces. It's kinda weird having that combination but I sorta like it. Someone will make an aftermarket grill and the car will look a whole lot better.
It's no speed burner but it has good power. I probably would not buy one because of the FWD but you never know.

Quick Reply: OK, I'll Say It, The '09 Acura TL Is As Good Or Better Than The 5, E-Class, A6