Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, I'll Say It, The '09 Acura TL Is As Good Or Better Than The 5, E-Class, A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 08:40 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OK, I'll Say It, The '09 Acura TL Is As Good Or Better Than The 5, E-Class, A6

Yup, it really is. And at a price that's easily $12-20k less. This car competes directly with the mid-sized iconic sports sedans mentioned in the title and betters them in some important respects. It's ride and handling characteristics are easily on a par with these cars and the list of standard equipment to be had with the tech package (the only option offered) is astonishing, and a techno-freak's dream. For $36k for the fwd model (~$40k for the SH-AWD model with a 305hp engine....but this rides too hard for me living in NYC), you get a 280 hp V-6 that may not break any 0-60 records but scoots the car along plenty fast (~6.0 seconds). Roadholding is awesome with it's standard 245/50-17 v-rated tires and the steering is razor sharp with just the right amount of weighting. The car is larger inside than a 5 series and has a bigger and better designed rear seat. The included tech features are a geeks dream. Full ipod integration, a built in hard drive to rip CD's onto, real time traffic and weather, Zagat restaurant ratings and descriptions, xenon headlights, keyless entry and start, bluetooth, dual climate control, a 440 watt 10 speaker audio system that's capable of playing DVD-Audio, the list just goes on and on.

Couple all this with Acura's Consumer Reports top honors in reliability and customer satisfaction and you have a runaway winner. For anyone who can do without the snooty appeal of a German logo, this thing is a ridiculous steal at the asking price.

And no, I'm not an Acura salesman, just a very happy and satisfied customer wishing to pass along what to some may still be a secret.
Old 02-28-09, 08:50 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

customer as in you've bought it?

sure, it may be better than those cars in those regards that you've mentioned, but i dont think many people can get over how 'ugly' it is. lol
Old 02-28-09, 08:56 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
customer as in you've bought it?

sure, it may be better than those cars in those regards that you've mentioned, but i dont think many people can get over how 'ugly' it is. lol
I've ordered it. I'll be picking it up in about a month and a half when my lease on my ES350 is up.

As to the appearance, yes, it's polarizing but I'd suggest you see one in person before you make your mind up. Pictures just don't do it justice. In person it's purposeful and very masculine looking. And while I know that such things are very subjective, you really have to see it to arrive at a decision about it's looks.

The other thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that the #1 objective of a car manufacturer is to get it's vehicles noticed. Do you recall the hue and cry that Chris Bangle's design aesthetic were met with? People were positively outraged and appalled. And I think we all know how that turned out. BMW's sales more than doubled under his design stewardship. And Cadillac with the CTS? Same thing. That one car essentially reinvented Cadillac as a relevannt car company to buyers under 80 years old.
Old 02-28-09, 09:06 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I've ordered it. I'll be picking it up in about a month and a half when my lease on my ES350 is up.

As to the appearance, yes, it's polarizing but I'd suggest you see one in person before you make your mind up. Pictures just don't do it justice. In person it's purposeful and very masculine looking. And while I know that such things are very subjective, you really have to see it to arrive at a decision about it's looks.

The other thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that the #1 objective of a car manufacturer is to get it's vehicles noticed. Do you recall the hue and cry that Chris Bangle's design aesthetic were met with? People were positively outraged and appalled. And I think we all know how that turned out. BMW's sales more than doubled under his design stewardship. And Cadillac with the CTS? Same thing. That one car essentially reinvented Cadillac as a relevannt car company to buyers under 80 years old.
Hahaha better put on your flame suit bud.

Most guys here will agree that the 09 TL is Acura's second biggest failure right behind the RL.
Old 02-28-09, 09:15 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tofu_house
Hahaha better put on your flame suit bud.

Most guys here will agree that the 09 TL is Acura's second biggest failure right behind the RL.
They can say what they want but the car is positively awesome. Factor in it's price and it's surprising that buyers don't get charged with grand theft auto.

Drive one and let me know what you think.

I drove a friend's 535xi and I can honestly tell you the TL has nothing to be embarrased about. Straight ahead it won't keep up with the 300hp twin turbo engine, but it'll handle almost as well and it blows it away in the tech department.

And the 535xi, equipped with the same equipment as the TL comes it at ~$58k.
Old 02-28-09, 09:16 PM
Epik151
Driver

Oh hey... hmm... not bad...

UUAAAAHHH KILL IT WITH FIRE!!1!1
Old 02-28-09, 09:19 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

LOL

Like I said, drive one and get back to me.
Old 02-28-09, 09:24 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1SICK is on CL leave for Lent.
Old 02-28-09, 09:30 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meowCat
Not only is this an ugly car but the power you quoted is incorrect. You say, on a 280hp FWD version (Automatic-Only), gets you 0-60 in "~6.0 seconds"?? unless you are going down hill at 45 degree slope. This is a 7-second car.

Trust me, just because it's an Acura TL doesn't mean it will go automatically go fast. It depends on the weight of the car, hp and torque, weight of the car, and the number of gears and ratios...... Not that I'm trying to make a big deal with a 7 seconds is slow turtle for today's standard.

Hey Mike where are you? I would like your response please!

No where does any reviewer even suggest that this is a 7 second car. Most reviews have put it in the mid 6 second category and more than one of the owners who post over at acurazine.com claim they've gotten 5.9 numbers. Not wanting to inflame folks by quoting a sub-6" number, I suggested a 6 second time. But there's no way in the world this car doesn't easily beat 7 seconds. No way whatsoever!

Last edited by PsychDoc; 03-01-09 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-28-09, 10:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry...

the TL isn't even a car of the same class as the BMW 5 Series and the Mercedes E-Class, let alone the Audi A6.

I recall driving the previous generation TL against the BMW 530i back-to-back and came away impressed by the TL--for what it was--a well-sorted FWD car. You can't be serious about comparing a FWD entry-level, second tier sedan to first-tier RWD sedans a CLASS ABOVE.
Old 02-28-09, 10:28 PM
Epik151
Driver

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
LOL

Like I said, drive one and get back to me.
I'm just messing with you. It's not all that bad.

I'm sure it's nice and will take your word for it that it bests those other cars.
Old 02-28-09, 10:41 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Yea the TL has some great tech but next time Acura needs to allocate a bigger budget on a better front end design. Ive seen the car on the street and I just cant get over the front end.
Old 02-28-09, 10:43 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

*throws up*

honestly the new 5 and e look 2 times better then that. i dunno about the inside, but the exterior is much nicer...
Old 02-28-09, 10:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

There are a lot of people here who dislike the styling and the general direction that Acura is taking, but if you like the car that is what matters

Congrats on your new toy...give us more of your impressions when you take delivery
Old 02-28-09, 10:56 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Doc april fools is NEXT month, not this one!

Quick Reply: OK, I'll Say It, The '09 Acura TL Is As Good Or Better Than The 5, E-Class, A6