Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No front plate tickets anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 05:53 PM
Emontes7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink No front plate tickets anyone?

i was in the e46 forums and saw this .dont know if its a repost but for you guys who cant drive with a front plate this is for you....no more no front plate tickethttp://www.ninosport.com/Mustang/License-Plate-Frames
Old 03-02-09, 06:03 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol cool stuff, wouldnt be so cool to scrape that off.
Old 03-02-09, 06:14 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

So let me get this straight...this is a piece of equipment that you have to pay for, install, and it only hides the plate when it's parked so you still drive with it out?? I will pay big money for the list of customers who bought this. There are a myriad of bridges and islands available for sale to them.

Big Mack
Old 03-02-09, 06:59 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

i mean thats pretty cool bro

to big mac if your in ca you NEED a front plate or else its an $85 ticket, luckily for me in Vegas (nevada) i don't need to have a front plate unless there is a bracket or holes in my front bumper already so that is a cheep easy investment, but too bad its waay low id be scraping on my front plate all day long haha
Old 03-02-09, 07:12 PM
Emontes7
Driver

no you have the option to drive with it hiding or you can drive it with it out. lets say you get pulled over and you have the motorized one, all you do is press the button and pop it back uphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhZRL...eature=related
Old 03-02-09, 07:53 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You can get a no front plate ticket while you're parked too, similar to a parking ticket.

I'm with Big Mack that there is little practical use for this if you're in an area where they do require Front Plate and enforce it.
Old 03-02-09, 09:19 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Swift is 10 minutes away from me... They sell a decent amount of those things around here.
Old 03-03-09, 04:53 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
You can get a no front plate ticket while you're parked too, similar to a parking ticket.
Are you sure about that? Because then wouldn't they be able to ticket you for having tinted windows or anything else that's illegal that's not a moving violation?
Old 03-03-09, 06:22 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
i mean thats pretty cool bro

to big mac if your in ca you NEED a front plate or else its an $85 ticket, luckily for me in Vegas (nevada) i don't need to have a front plate unless there is a bracket or holes in my front bumper already so that is a cheep easy investment, but too bad its waay low id be scraping on my front plate all day long haha
$85? Lucky... In rip off Cali, it cost me $188! and not a fix-it ticket anymore...

Like said above, flip it out if pulled over and they cant dispute it UNLESS they go as far as recognizing that its motorized...
Old 03-03-09, 09:34 AM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Actually i saw this at a car meet, a guy had a mini copper with this type of motorized plate, if anything it was just cool to show off, everyone was around the car all the time to see the plate in action.
Old 03-03-09, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
In rip off Cali, it cost me $188! and not a fix-it ticket anymore...
So what kind of ticket is it now? Obviously it's not a moving violation.
Old 03-03-09, 11:03 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Are you sure about that? Because then wouldn't they be able to ticket you for having tinted windows or anything else that's illegal that's not a moving violation?
I got one for no front plate just parking on the street, this is in Cali.
Old 03-03-09, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Emontes7
i was in the e46 forums and saw this .dont know if its a repost but for you guys who cant drive with a front plate this is for you....no more no front plate tickethttp://www.ninosport.com/Mustang/License-Plate-Frames
You've got the priorities backwards here. There is no choice in the matter. It is not an option. Even with a device like this that can hide the plate when you are, say, in your own private driveway, in states that have front-plate laws, you MUST have the plate exposed at all times when driving on a public road, unless it is a matter beyond your control, like the plate being torn off or stolen (and that excuse only works once).

However, when you are on a private driveway or other non-public spot where you want to show off the car's front end, I agree, it is a neat, spiffy little device.
Old 03-03-09, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Emontes7
no you have the option to drive with it hiding or you can drive it with it out. lets say you get pulled over and you have the motorized one, all you do is press the button and pop it back up
No, you do NOT have that option. That is incorrect.

The law says it MUST be displayed at all times on a public road, except for some very few extenuating curcumstances (which I covered above). If a cop sees you with a bare front end, then stops you and, all of a sudden, you have the plate exposed, he or she can still write a ticket because you were visibly (to him or her) driving with it hidden. The fact that you popped it out only when stopped doesn't matter.

Don't get me wrong. it's a nice, neat, little device, but it is ONLY for use on non-public areas....or in states without front-plate laws, where it doesn't matter. But don't even think of using it on a public road in an applicable state.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 01:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time the cop comes up from behind and stops you for speeding. The front plate ticket is usually just an add on after he walks around and inspects your car. This can save you from that additional ticket. If the cop pulls you over for no front plate in the first place this won't help. This can also help going through DUI checks. Usually they will pull you over if they see any probable cause.

Quick Reply: No front plate tickets anyone?