Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Audi A5 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 04:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ragtop kills the deal....all ragtops = ugly IMO

Old 04-03-09, 04:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry but no softtop for me, period. it just doesn't make sense on a luxury car imho. i'd pick the e93 m3 any time

with the top down i think the car looks very nice, but with the top up it's just bad
Old 04-03-09, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with the top down i think the car looks very nice, but with the top up it's just bad
Isn't that the case with most convertibles, whether soft-top or a retractible hard top?
Old 04-03-09, 05:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Isn't that the case with most convertibles, whether soft-top or a retractible hard top?
imho not on cars like the SL. i think top up and down it's both very nice

but my point is all soft top look horrible with the top up
Old 04-03-09, 05:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

IMO this is the only soft top that looks respectable outside of some exotics. Most are downright nasty. However, I think they did soft top because the wheelbase is pretty long. It would be hard to make a folding hardtop S5 IMO without having a gigantic trunk. I'm also sure cost played a part as well.
Old 04-03-09, 05:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Or Audi didn't originally design the S5 to accommodate a convertible. Could have been afterthought.
Old 04-03-09, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
IMO this is the only soft top that looks respectable outside of some exotics. Most are downright nasty. However, I think they did soft top because the wheelbase is pretty long. It would be hard to make a folding hardtop S5 IMO without having a gigantic trunk. I'm also sure cost played a part as well.
With the kind of money an S5 costs, I'm not sure cost was that big an issue. The S5 is a performance car, and hard tops add weight and complexity....weight is the enemy of performance. The Mercedes SL adds a hard-top, of course, but it costs far more than an S5, and uses enormously powerful V8's, especially in the SL AMG version, to overcome that weight.
Old 04-03-09, 06:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the kind of money an S5 costs, I'm not sure cost was that big an issue. The S5 is a performance car, and hard tops add weight and complexity....weight is the enemy of performance. The Mercedes SL adds a hard-top, of course, but it costs far more than an S5, and uses enormously powerful V8's, especially in the SL AMG version, to overcome that weight.
Agreed, in the higher end premium converts a nicely finished softtop is often preferred (examples: Porsche, AS, Jag, Rolls, Bentley, Lambo, etc.). Typically these are not daily drivers so the practical aspects of a hardtop are not that important. I've owned a few convertibles and prefer the softtop since they are used by me as garage queen/weekender/California cars only.

Also, many 4 seaters are difficult to design with retractable hardtops. Often these 4 seater converts end up with extra weight, extra complexity, big butt trunks, multiple ugly cutlines in the roof itself**, and less than graceful body proportions.

** the sheer size of the larger roof requires more folding/cutlines to fit into an acceptable-sized trunk area, that a 2 seater roadster top doesn't require. Makers of mid-engine and rear-engined cars don't even have the option of a retractable hardtop due to space limitations in that section of car.

That's just my opinion, coming from the premium convert perspective.
Old 04-03-09, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i agree weight is an enemy, but bmw makes a hard top m3 that's 400lb heavier but still performs very well.
Old 04-04-09, 03:57 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

'hard top' was the first thing popped in my head, but nice car nevertheless.
Old 04-04-09, 06:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, in the higher end premium converts a nicely finished softtop is often preferred (examples: Porsche, AS, Jag, Rolls, Bentley, Lambo, etc.). Typically these are not daily drivers so the practical aspects of a hardtop are not that important. I've owned a few convertibles and prefer the softtop since they are used by me as garage queen/weekender/California cars only.

Also, many 4 seaters are difficult to design with retractable hardtops. Often these 4 seater converts end up with extra weight, extra complexity, big butt trunks, multiple ugly cutlines in the roof itself**, and less than graceful body proportions.

** the sheer size of the larger roof requires more folding/cutlines to fit into an acceptable-sized trunk area, that a 2 seater roadster top doesn't require. Makers of mid-engine and rear-engined cars don't even have the optinon of a retractable hardtop due to space limitations in that section of car.
note the A5/S5 is BARELY a 4 seater....the rear is seat is only marginally bigger than the rear seat in my wife's TT.
Old 04-04-09, 09:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
note the A5/S5 is BARELY a 4 seater....the rear is seat is only marginally bigger than the rear seat in my wife's TT.
Typically a 4 seater convert has a even smaller back seat than the puny backseat of a coupe. And getting in/out of the back seat is a chore too.
Old 04-04-09, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree weight is an enemy, but bmw makes a hard top m3 that's 400lb heavier but still performs very well.
Two things are at work there, though. First, the M3's strong 414 HP (though the torque lags at 295 ft-lbs, less than in the 335i.). Second, the admitted excellence of BMW's steering and chassis engineering.......among mass-produced cars, arguably the best on the planet, along with Porsche. BMW chassis engineers could take an M1 Abrams battle tank and make it fun to drive.
Old 04-05-09, 07:15 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with the silver trim around the windshield and silver side mirrors on this and the regular S5???? I'm guessing it's to help distinguish it from the A5, but doesn't do it any favors style wise at all. Other than that though, looks good.
Old 04-06-09, 01:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just read about it in a magazine tonight. It seems like a very cool alternative to the standard Bimmer. Plus the interior blows anything any other German manufacturer is doing right now

Quick Reply: 2010 Audi A5 Cabriolet