Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Essence sportscar(Infiniti will not produce show car, but its Essence ...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09 | 12:00 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I think this looks sexy as hell, but I can already dread the tragic final product. Infiniti is developing a knack for taking their stunning, drop dead gorgeous concepts and beating them with an ugly stick on the way to the final product.
Old 03-03-09 | 12:09 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Is it just me or does the front of this car give you the impression of something that is really pissed off?

Front lights are kinda funny though - like Audi LEDs but on the top side rather than bottom. Hopefully this doesn't end up a disappointment, if they choose to produce it, as the G37 did. Interior looks pretty nice!

Did this car really come out of the blue, so to speak, or have I missed threads and rumors on the net of such a concept car?
Old 03-03-09 | 12:14 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I
Front lights are kinda funny though - like Audi LEDs but on the top side rather than bottom.
Yeah, everyone's doing the LED thing now... Audi, Aston and Cadillac to name a few. It's everyone else's answer to BMW's angel eyes.

And yes, Infiniti was very hush-hush on this concept. It was only a couple of weeks ago that they dropped a tiny teaser image but other than that there was no indication they had this coming.
Old 03-03-09 | 12:20 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

they did a good job keeping this quiet, unlike someone else, smh

as i look at it more, i see GT-R, G37, 350z and FX smash and stretch into this beauty.
Old 03-03-09 | 12:29 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

wow... very hot. not 100% unique imo, but damn... that wouldn't stop me!
the interior is straight up FIRE!!!! very interesting concepts put together, especially the spedo!
Old 03-03-09 | 01:28 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Wow... This car looks insane. However, I can't help but notice that they took styling cues from the Maserati Gran Turismo.

Old 03-03-09 | 02:18 PM
sleeper408

The rear of that car is awesome! This would definitely be a head turner.
Old 03-03-09 | 02:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

This is exactly the type of car Infiniti needs. I was hoping for a sexy larger higher end 2 door for Infiniti. I really hope they produce this car and don't over price it out of the market. I would rather see a v8 option for this car which would give it credibility against the Merc SL, 6 series, Jag XK, etc instead of just the turbo v6 hybrid and they most likely will offer a v8 option since they already have one and it would be perfect for this vehicle. I would also rather it have a rear seat and hope they at least offer a option with rear seats.

If Infiniti does build this car please please please don't price it over 60K unless you just want it to fail and not sell well. The reason the G35 coupe did so well was that it was such a nicer looking car and nice package that many could afford and it was not overpriced or even that expensive, if they price this car too high people then will just say it is a overpriced Infiniti and why not spend a little extra and get a Mercedes or BMW. I hope it is priced from 44-56K if they build it and it does not get too expensive and if it is priced right it will be a huge hit for Infiniti sales/image wise.
Old 03-03-09 | 02:40 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel

I hope it is priced from 44-56K if they build it and it does not get too expensive and if it is priced right it will be a huge hit for Infiniti sales/image wise.
There's just no way on earth I can see them pricing such a car under 50K (in fact it wouldn't be such an image car if it did). The GT-R goes for 90K. This can be priced no less unless they want to kill the GT-R sales at the same time.
Old 03-03-09 | 02:53 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Gorgeous, gorgeous car. I doubt this will ever make it to production, just a showcase of future design cues. If they do, I can imagine the toned down version being absolutely gorgeous, because some parts of this car seems a bit overdone. However, Infiniti DOES have a knack for ruining their concepts (G Coupe Concept -> G37 anyone?) but yeah, this car really does look every other car posted on this thread look old!!!
Old 03-03-09 | 03:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
There's just no way on earth I can see them pricing such a car under 50K (in fact it wouldn't be such an image car if it did). The GT-R goes for 90K. This can be priced no less unless they want to kill the GT-R sales at the same time.
Nissan priced the GTR around 70K and it is a specialty high performance technical tour de force, just because some people are paying big markups on such a unique car based or reviews/rarity does not mean the buying public feels it is worth 90K or that is what it should be priced at. If it was priced at 90K more reviewers/people would complain that a 90K base price is too high for the GTR despite the performance and it is even more then the Porsche 911. Much of the GTRs positive reviews revolve around all that performance and it priced at 70K which seems like a deal compared to many other cars.

This new Infiniti seems to be more of a luxury/performance GT and more or less a step up from a G37 coupe like a M type coupe that could offer a v8 option despite its radical powerplant, design, and features. I kind of doubt the production model is going to be packing that 500+hp radical powerplant unless it is to be a super rare low volume version which is not a good idea for Infiniti in this economy. I doubt they are going to build a car that is going to be certain to not sell well and lose them alot of money. If this is to be a Merc SL or 6 series type competitor with v6 or v8 engines then pricing over 90K will ensure it completely fails, pricing over 70K will ensure it fails. Infiniti is already reported to say with the current economy they are holding off on a really expensive Infiniti GTR but something less radical and much less expensive like larger coupe/performance car competitor for the SL and 6 series that does is not cost too much makes alot of sense and is missing from their lineup. If Infiniti does this car and puts in a ton of tech and that 500+hp powerplant then it will cost well over 70K and unfortunately most likely not sell and won't last long, I think they know that.

A base v6 version could be priced in the mid 40's where a v8 version could be priced in the mid 50's and I think it would sell well and give the brand more respect. Infiniti is not really in the position now to be selling 90K+ cars even if they are very low volume flagship sportscars, a larger less radical coupe to compete with the 6 series and Merc SL makes much more sense and I believe that is the route they will go if they make it.
Old 03-03-09 | 03:24 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

"Get out of the way before I eat you"

"Dont even think of passing me"

absolutely love that windshield/roof btw. There goes the NSX and LFA back to the perpetual drawing boards (if they actually exist) lol.
Old 03-03-09 | 03:29 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

More pix. Love the suede/alcantara interior and glass roof. Did you guys notice that the seats are different colors?

Last edited by pvmike1; 03-03-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-03-09 | 03:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

it be awesome if this does go ahead.
Old 03-03-09 | 03:47 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

If this car gets priced below $50k Infiniti may have a winner on the sales side but will never shake their perception, to some, as second tier luxury. That is not to say it has to cost $80 or 90k, but realistically, they need to make this car a little more expensive AND still worth the money IMO.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Essence sportscar(Infiniti will not produce show car, but its Essence ...)