Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan aims to launch luxury diesel hybrid in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 05:09 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting.

I feel that this is a great move as the efficiency of a diesel mated to the urban-efficiency of an electric motor will make a great marriage. Add to that the fact that Nissan has a direct line to Renault, which make great diesels.

The company end lease on my E230 is coming up soon and I've been debating whether or not to purchase a personal car, either a Citroen C5 HDi Automatic or a Renault Laguna DCi Automatic, both diesels. I'm leaning towards the Citroen C5, which is a fantastic car and extremely (there is no other word) comfortable and refined. I already tested one a long time ago and I was very impressed. I still had my C200 CDI C class in those days and the C5 killed it in comfort hands down.

By the way:

Japanische Autojournalisten wählen den neuen CITROËN C5 zum besten Importauto 2008-2009

Bei dem jährlichen Wettbewerb hat eine hochkarätige Jury aus 65 japanischen Autojournalisten den neuen CITROËN C5 mit dem Sonderpreis des besten Importautos 2008-2009 ausgezeichnet. Außerdem belegte der neue C5 bei der Gesamtwahl zum Auto des Jahres in Japan hinter dem Toyota iQ einen hervorragenden zweiten Platz.

The Citroen C5 has been voted "Import Car of the Year" in Japan.

Oh well, sorry for the journey off-topic, but I am in love with the C5.

Anyway, this is great news for Nissan.
Old 03-09-09, 11:34 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
hmm.... but elec. motors are also in a narrow range in terms of power. I guess this setup really would call for a CVT-type transmission.
absolutely.... a cvt would be great in that application. the only problems are that cvt's are pricey and they dont' seem to deal with high torque very well from what i've seen.
Old 03-09-09, 07:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
absolutely.... a cvt would be great in that application. the only problems are that cvt's are pricey and they dont' seem to deal with high torque very well from what i've seen.
You're right but they are improving. The Murano has quite a bit of power going through its CVT and Nissan stuck with a CVT for the new model rather than reverting back to a traditional transmission which gives the consumer confidence that Nissan has confidence in their CVT.

Another type of CVT would be the GSh's CVT which handles 300 odd horsepower.