Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan aims to launch luxury diesel hybrid in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 08:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Nissan aims to launch luxury diesel hybrid in 2010

Nissan aims to launch luxury diesel hybrid in 2010

Tue Mar 3, 2009 4:01pm

GENEVA, March 3 (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co (7201.T: Quote, Profile, Research) unveiled on Tuesday a concept car under its Infiniti luxury brand that it plans to adapt for production as a hybrid car twinned with a diesel engine for the European market next year.

Japan's third biggest automaker unveiled the Essence concept, a sporty coupe equipped with luggage in the trunk custom-designed by Louis Vuitton (LVMH.PA: Quote, Profile, Research), at the week-long Geneva International Motor Show which opened on Tuesday.

The concept car is fitted with Nissan's proprietary hybrid system that twins a 3.7-litre, turbocharged V6 petrol engine.

But a Nissan spokeswoman said Nissan's priority for the European market was to launch a production version of the car with a V6 diesel hybrid system in what could be one of the world's first cars to hybridise a diesel engine.

Nissan gave no indication of the car's price range. A diesel hybrid would theoretically be more fuel-efficient than a petrol hybrid but is more expensive to build.

"Customers willing to pay for a diesel hybrid would be in the luxury segment," the spokeswoman said.

Toyota Motor Corp's (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) Lexus luxury brand is also due to unveil a new hybrid car, the RX450h, at the Geneva show
http://in.reuters.com/article/rbssCo...37184220090303
Old 03-03-09, 10:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there really is more to the Essence than just the show circuit...

AWESOME!
Old 03-03-09, 02:37 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news!
Old 03-03-09, 08:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see it. There have been a lot of manufacturers wanting to build a diesel hybrid cause in theory, it should be more fuel efficient. However you do have two sources of low end torque (diesel and electric motor) but not much high end power like you get from a petrol engine.
Old 03-03-09, 09:43 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Toyota and Lexus will start getting its *** handed to them by companies like Nissan pretty soon, I have a feeling. Infiniti, the Germans and companies like Fisker are just destroying Lexus in the "cool" car categories, and if they start coming out with diesel hybrids and electric cars- man, Lexus needs to wake up.
Old 03-04-09, 06:24 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I'd like to see it. There have been a lot of manufacturers wanting to build a diesel hybrid cause in theory, it should be more fuel efficient. However you do have two sources of low end torque (diesel and electric motor) but not much high end power like you get from a petrol engine.
i don't want to get too far off topic here, but diesels can have a good high end power too. it's common misconception that they are only low end torque engines, but with a different tune, they can pull hard at the top of their rev range as well.

they won't rev to 6500 rpm like agas engine but through gearing, and proper tuning of the torque curve, they will pull strongly all the way to their redline. for example, my truck when stock pulled from 1200 rpm to about 2200, then if fell off. but after a couple mods and changing the fueling and timing curve, it now pulls strongly all the way to 3000 rpm. (redline is 3200). it's a totally different truck tod rive now. it still has the low end for pulling (actually more than stock) but also has the top end of a gas truck. best of both worlds....
Old 03-04-09, 02:31 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ren495
Toyota and Lexus will start getting its *** handed to them by companies like Nissan pretty soon, I have a feeling. Infiniti, the Germans and companies like Fisker are just destroying Lexus in the "cool" car categories, and if they start coming out with diesel hybrids and electric cars- man, Lexus needs to wake up.
I don't see the amount of hybrids across a model range like Toyota/Lexus from any other manufactures, including Nissan/Infiniti, and even "The Germans". Wake up from not being "cool"? I am not sure what you're saying here.
Old 03-04-09, 02:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
vw and mercedes already have the technology down to production ready levels. The Golf TDI/hybrid setup apparently nets 75mpg. The cost is another issue.
Old 03-04-09, 02:43 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ren495
Are you assuming Toyota/Lexus is going to stand still while Nissan is trying to beat them in their own game? Standing still targets are easy to hit, moving targets aren't. I think we all know what kind of target is Toyota/Lexus...

As for "cool cars", the Germans and even Nissan/Infiniti are taking Toyota/Lexus to school on that topic for many years so I don't see how's that going to affect the overall picture.

As for now, German hybrids are still vaporwares but Toyota has been PRODUCING hybrid cars for a decade now. Who has the edge? Your call.
Old 03-05-09, 01:32 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

eh, toyota moves pretty slow. some good hybrids coming like the insight. but im still waiting for a good looking hybrid with some performance. ashame about that concept hybrid supra....
Old 03-05-09, 02:05 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
eh, toyota moves pretty slow. some good hybrids coming like the insight. but im still waiting for a good looking hybrid with some performance. ashame about that concept hybrid supra....
I love the FT-HS too and if Toyota is going to build it I'll put in my deposit TODAY.

However, you should read what you just posted... The Insight? Are you serious? The Insight isn't even more fuel efficient than the second generation Prius!

If Toyota is moving slow then Honda is barely moving and all others are standing still.
Old 03-05-09, 02:11 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

for 19k? thats cheap. way better than 22k-30k for a prius. even if it doesnt match the same mpg...
Old 03-05-09, 04:17 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

for 19k? thats cheap. way better than 22k-30k for a prius. even if it doesnt match the same mpg...
What's your point? Inferior technology = cheaper cost.

If Toyota is willing to settle with the Insight-level FE I am sure they can sell it at the same price if not cheaper.
Old 03-05-09, 04:30 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes gshb, but the Inisght is clearly on the cheap side. There's a lost of cost cutting done to get the price that low. IMO, I'd spend the extra money looking at the Prius and/or Jetta turbo diesel.
Old 03-07-09, 09:11 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Well then, Honda's got you in their sights. They're made for people such as yourself who want a cheap hybrid. At $19k, Honda's gonna get a lotta people into the hybrid foray.

In the Prius, you're paying for the leading edge in hybrid technology. Would you buy a Camry over an ES? An Avalon over an LS? People pay for a Lexus for the cache, luxury touches and technology that you can't find in a Toyota.

Originally Posted by FKL
vw and mercedes already have the technology down to production ready levels. The Golf TDI/hybrid setup apparently nets 75mpg. The cost is another issue.
I've read articles on that but they haven't put one into production. VW cancelled plans for hybrids for the Q7 and Touareg because it was deemed unviable and cost prohibitive. Kinda odd since Porsche is pushing forward with the Cayenne Hybrid.

Originally Posted by 19psi
i don't want to get too far off topic here, but diesels can have a good high end power too. it's common misconception that they are only low end torque engines, but with a different tune, they can pull hard at the top of their rev range as well.

they won't rev to 6500 rpm like agas engine but through gearing, and proper tuning of the torque curve, they will pull strongly all the way to their redline. for example, my truck when stock pulled from 1200 rpm to about 2200, then if fell off. but after a couple mods and changing the fueling and timing curve, it now pulls strongly all the way to 3000 rpm. (redline is 3200). it's a totally different truck tod rive now. it still has the low end for pulling (actually more than stock) but also has the top end of a gas truck. best of both worlds....
hmm.... but elec. motors are also in a narrow range in terms of power. I guess this setup really would call for a CVT-type transmission.

Quick Reply: Nissan aims to launch luxury diesel hybrid in 2010