Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Infiniti M to launch with Hybrid option next year

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 12:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R1R
The new E-Class, 5-Series, and M will all be landing in the U.S. at around the same time.

This is going to be pretty exciting.
Puts a lot of pressure on the 4GS, and I just really hope they deliver
Old 03-05-09, 02:59 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
The M came out several YEARS after the 3GS did. And it IS a new design compared to the 3GS; it looks very much more modern. The 3GS is very conservative (I dont know why Lexus went that direction, especially since the 2GS was considered a great looking vehicle in 1998).

Guys, don't spout off numbers like the M is successful or anything just because it outsells the hated rival car (which is already doing extremely poorly). The rival company isnt even paying attention to that car. For that matter, I've still never EVER seen an M45. All of them are M35s and they are extremely rare. I don't know where Infiniti is selling those cars, but its not down here.
I see M45's all of the time. In fact I see one whenever I open my garage. I think its fair to say that the current gen M has been a good car for infiniti. I don't really know the numbers at all, but I'm willing to guess that the current M is probably the best selling car they've had that isn't entry level luxury. The fact that it does very well in its segment goes a long way to show that its for real.
Old 03-05-09, 03:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 731 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Puts a lot of pressure on the 4GS, and I just really hope they deliver
If they don't there won't be much of a market for a 5GS...
Old 03-05-09, 03:12 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope the article is right. new car in sept but no spy pics...anyway i cant wait. i like where infiniti is going.
Old 03-05-09, 05:20 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I see M45's all of the time. In fact I see one whenever I open my garage. I think its fair to say that the current gen M has been a good car for infiniti. I don't really know the numbers at all, but I'm willing to guess that the current M is probably the best selling car they've had that isn't entry level luxury. The fact that it does very well in its segment goes a long way to show that its for real.
yeah, surprisingly in the northeast, i see quite a few m45's as well.
and lately, more and more m45x's.
Old 03-05-09, 05:22 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
I would say the great reviews the M gets, more interior room then most of competition, closest to BMW handling/feedback, and it being one of the highest rated and favorites in Consumer reports helps also with the Ms surprising sales. It is even more amazing because the Infiniti M pretty much had zero name recognition where the last Lexus GS was fairly popular.

The 3rd gen GS has a few strikes against it to explain its mediocre sales and often lagging behind the M like the Lexus ES350 which I am sure steals alot of sales from the GS where Infiniti does not have a car between the G and M like Lexus has between the IS and GS. The GS orginal 3 liter v6 was pretty weak and underpowered for the first few years compared to the M v6 which was larger and much more powerful. The GS430 did not have any more power then the last GS430 and was really no quicker with the extra gear. The GS is not exactly a good looking car and many say looks like a Nissan Altima/last Maxima(which came out 2 years BEFORE the Lexus GS) and it has that ugly rear end, the last Gen GS is generally agreed to look much nicer. The interior has seemed to shrink in the GS and headroom is poor in the new GS which has turned off many buyers. The 3rd Gen GS has had many quality/rattle/squeaking issues and a version was put on the not recommended list by consumer reports which is really bad. All these things add up.

As for Infiniti offering hybrids, it is a great idea especially since the VQ is a know gas guzzler and there is nothing even remotely fuel efficient in the Infiniti lineup. I can't wait to see the next M and I think it is going to be a fantastic car and be major competiton for all its competition. I have been very impressed by the Ms I have driven and sat in and will highly consider a used one for my next car.
the 3gs is the best looking car in its class IMO but that's subjective. even if you don't agree, it's not an ugly car.
no matter what anyone says, i believe the main issue with the car is the rear seat space.
Old 03-05-09, 07:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

since the M35 got the 303hp(262tq) its more than a match for the GS350;...and I'd take it over any 3GS (EXCEPT the 450h)....much better lines.
Old 03-05-09, 08:31 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shyguy16
GS came out in 2005, M came out in 2006 so only a year between the 2, not years. the amazing feat is that the M is outselling the GS with a smaller dealer network, less cachet in the infinity name, and poorer customer service.
i'm sure much of this has to do with more aggressive deals and pricing.
Actually, that's incorrect. They both came out in 2005 as 2006 models. One came out in February, the other came out in March (can't remember which one was the first to drop, but I think it was the M). So, there is literally a month separating these two. I see Infiniti is on this 4 year cycle between releasing new models, which IMO is a smart thing to do. I often think waiting 5, 6, 7 years between new models allows way too much time for the competition to keep up and surpass the current model. I understand the whole "luxury car buyers want to keep a current model longer" thing, but it's far more interesting IMO for luxury makes to pump out new product more frequently.
Old 03-05-09, 08:39 PM
ren495
Pole Position

I think the 3GS is a great looking car. By far better looking than the bland M. 3GS in my opinion is the original 4 door coupe. Lexus got the 4 door coupe trend before it even became a trend. the head room in the back seems small because of the sloping "coupe" roof, but there is decent headroom. problem is small interior and horrible steering.
Old 03-06-09, 09:15 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I see Infiniti is on this 4 year cycle between releasing new models, which IMO is a smart thing to do.
How is Infiniti on a 4 year cycle?

If the Infiniti hybrid comes out next year that puts the Infiniti M on a 5 year cycle. However the the Nissan Fuga was out 0.5 years before the Infiniti M. So the current Infiniti M platform will be 5.5 years old when redesigned. That's one of perks of dropping a premium flagship.

Either way Lexus needs to step up their game with the 3GS/3IS.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 03-06-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

You mean 4GS/3IS ? ...
Old 03-06-09, 09:45 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
How is Infiniti on a 4 year cycle?

If the Infiniti hybrid comes out next year that puts the Infiniti M on a 5 year cycle.
I'm referring to model years here. G Sedan - MY 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. redesigned for MY 2007. M Sedan - MY 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. redesigned for MY 2010 (or at least that's what this article suggests). The G coupe is currently on a 5 year cycle, but that's to be expected. However, their bread and butter sedans are currently on 4 year model cycles for the US market.
Old 03-06-09, 09:46 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

We should be seeing the 4GS testing soon right? I'd like to see the 4GS be to the 3GS what the 2 was to the 1. lol

I personally like the looks of the 3GS, hope they build on that. 400hp GS460 w/8 speed, great ride quality, top shelf handling.
Old 03-06-09, 10:29 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You mean 4GS/3IS ? ...

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I'm referring to model years here. G Sedan - MY 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006. redesigned for MY 2007. M Sedan - MY 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. redesigned for MY 2010 (or at least that's what this article suggests). The G coupe is currently on a 5 year cycle, but that's to be expected. However, their bread and butter sedans are currently on 4 year model cycles for the US market.
I would say the previous G sedan is a atypical, the V35 Skyline went on sale back in 2001 putting that platform on a 5.5 or 6 year cycle.

The latest V36 Skyline and G sedan launched around the same time, I would also think the new platform is also on 5.5 or 6 year cycle.
Old 03-06-09, 10:36 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
We should be seeing the 4GS testing soon right? I'd like to see the 4GS be to the 3GS what the 2 was to the 1.

I personally like the looks of the 3GS, hope they build on that. 400hp GS460 w/8 speed, great ride quality, top shelf handling.
I don't remember seeing any spy photos of the 3GS, there were spy photos of the IS-f back from 2005.

Quick Reply: New Infiniti M to launch with Hybrid option next year