Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Infiniti M to launch with Hybrid option next year

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 07:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New Infiniti M to launch with Hybrid option next year

All Infinitis will be hybrids within 10 years, the firm's head of advanced product planning, Francois Bancon, has said.

Infiniti is in the process of reinventing itself as a socially responsible car maker, and will introduce its first hybrid next year, with a petrol-electric version of the new M saloon.

Bancon then wants every Infiniti model to be available with a parallel series hybrid powertrain, as previewed in the Infiniti Essence, which has been unveiled at the Geneva show.

The new M will be launched in the US in September and is coming to Europe next year. It is based on the same platform as the Infiniti G-series saloon and coupe.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...ncepts/238530/
Old 03-04-09, 08:10 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder how it's gonna look.

launching this september, and no spy pics yet ?????
Old 03-04-09, 09:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Lets see what the Lexus response will be. I think what Infiniti needs to work on is the reliability and customer service. There is good customer service, then there is Lexus customer service
Old 03-04-09, 10:11 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the M is already kicking lexus in the *****. outsold the GS by 2:1 last month.
Old 03-04-09, 10:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to hear that the M will add a hybrid option, should improve fuel efficiency to say the least.

...and "all Infinitis will be hybrids within 10 years" is interesting, and quite an about-face from Renault/Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn's statement that "hybrids are a terrible business prospect" in 2005.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...hybrids_a.html

Pretty good to see Infiniti also decide to match Lexus' goal of having an all-hybrid lineup.
Old 03-04-09, 10:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ren495
the M is already kicking lexus in the *****. outsold the GS by 2:1 last month.
that was one month.

let's see if a trend continues

if the M is new for 2010, it could mean bad news for the GS.
If nissan does a good job on exterior styling, it could kill GS sales.

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-04-09 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 12:11 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed. The current M is not a new design by any means either and it still manages to outsell the GS. Infiniti is building up some great momentum with the G cars, the FX (which some say is ugly, I say it's nice) and that Essence... the next M will definitely be something to be reckoned with!
Old 03-05-09, 02:01 AM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

cant wait to see the new M!
Old 03-05-09, 05:45 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

of the M looks anything similar to the Essence, I may have to get rid of my GS.....
Old 03-05-09, 06:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Indeed. The current M is not a new design by any means either and it still manages to outsell the GS. Infiniti is building up some great momentum with the G cars, the FX (which some say is ugly, I say it's nice) and that Essence... the next M will definitely be something to be reckoned with!
The M came out several YEARS after the 3GS did. And it IS a new design compared to the 3GS; it looks very much more modern. The 3GS is very conservative (I dont know why Lexus went that direction, especially since the 2GS was considered a great looking vehicle in 1998).

Guys, don't spout off numbers like the M is successful or anything just because it outsells the hated rival car (which is already doing extremely poorly). The rival company isnt even paying attention to that car. For that matter, I've still never EVER seen an M45. All of them are M35s and they are extremely rare. I don't know where Infiniti is selling those cars, but its not down here.
Old 03-05-09, 06:17 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
The M came out several YEARS after the 3GS did. And it IS a new design compared to the 3GS; it looks very much more modern. The 3GS is very conservative (I dont know why Lexus went that direction, especially since the 2GS was considered a great looking vehicle in 1998).

Guys, don't spout off numbers like the M is successful or anything just because it outsells the hated rival car (which is already doing extremely poorly). The rival company isnt even paying attention to that car. For that matter, I've still never EVER seen an M45. All of them are M35s and they are extremely rare. I don't know where Infiniti is selling those cars, but its not down here.
GS came out in 2005, M came out in 2006 so only a year between the 2, not years. the amazing feat is that the M is outselling the GS with a smaller dealer network, less cachet in the infinity name, and poorer customer service.
i'm sure much of this has to do with more aggressive deals and pricing.
Old 03-05-09, 06:23 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
GS came out in 2005, M came out in 2006 so only a year between the 2, not years. the amazing feat is that the M is outselling the GS with a smaller dealer network, less cachet in the infinity name, and poorer customer service.
i assumed it was the incentives.

but i don't know what incentives they had last month.

nevermind. infiniti has a fat 0.9% apr financing for 72 months on the M35/45

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-05-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-05-09, 06:26 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i assumed it was the incentives.

but i don't know what incentives they had last month.
that and the GS is sqeezed between the larger, more comfy ES at a lower price point, and a smaller but sportier IS.
that can't help its cause.
Old 03-05-09, 10:01 AM
R1R
Driver

The new E-Class, 5-Series, and M will all be landing in the U.S. at around the same time.

This is going to be pretty exciting.
Old 03-05-09, 11:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
I would say the great reviews the M gets, more interior room then most of competition, closest to BMW handling/feedback, and it being one of the highest rated and favorites in Consumer reports helps also with the Ms surprising sales. It is even more amazing because the Infiniti M pretty much had zero name recognition where the last Lexus GS was fairly popular.

The 3rd gen GS has a few strikes against it to explain its mediocre sales and often lagging behind the M like the Lexus ES350 which I am sure steals alot of sales from the GS where Infiniti does not have a car between the G and M like Lexus has between the IS and GS. The GS orginal 3 liter v6 was pretty weak and underpowered for the first few years compared to the M v6 which was larger and much more powerful. The GS430 did not have any more power then the last GS430 and was really no quicker with the extra gear. The GS is not exactly a good looking car and many say looks like a Nissan Altima/last Maxima(which came out 2 years BEFORE the Lexus GS) and it has that ugly rear end, the last Gen GS is generally agreed to look much nicer. The interior has seemed to shrink in the GS and headroom is poor in the new GS which has turned off many buyers. The 3rd Gen GS has had many quality/rattle/squeaking issues and a version was put on the not recommended list by consumer reports which is really bad. All these things add up.

As for Infiniti offering hybrids, it is a great idea especially since the VQ is a know gas guzzler and there is nothing even remotely fuel efficient in the Infiniti lineup. I can't wait to see the next M and I think it is going to be a fantastic car and be major competiton for all its competition. I have been very impressed by the Ms I have driven and sat in and will highly consider a used one for my next car.

Quick Reply: New Infiniti M to launch with Hybrid option next year