Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

An EXTREMELY positive GM story

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 06:36 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An EXTREMELY positive GM story

This should prove once and for all that I DO want to see GM (& American autos) make it...

As many know I was considering a Z06 as my new ride. Poor sales service drove me to another dealer in another town. As it looks like GM will head into Chapter 11 (IMO, a GREAT move that will bring it back stronger than it's been since 2003, many other reasons but too long to get into here), the products are now much more appealing to me and as I am also looking at an SUV, the Tahoe (with it's high marks for large SUVs across multiple sources and review) is a very strong choice. That, and the fact I have no problem helping keep the American car makers in biz (for a GOOD product) had me swinging by the local dealership yesterday. Took a look at a few, VERY nice, all the features I'm looking for, guy is VERY professional, NO pressure. I say, "What happens when you guys file next week?" He looks at me, I smile, he says, "Best thing that could happen, we need it to operate again, restore faith, etc." Nice conversation, we chat, tell him my poor previous experience, tell him just starting my search, he can run some numbers, he'll get back to me in a couple of hours, no problem.

Long story short, the sales guy cannot email the attachment with the price specs, invoice, etc, says he will courier to my house. I email back saying, "No rush, not buying today or tomorrow." Door rings about 15 minutes later, my guy's standing there with the papers, immediately says, "I know you're just starting, wanted to get this to you along with a brochure, any questions just call"... and that was it on the car. Small talk for about five minutes, he was driving one of the 2 I was looking at, doesn't ask if I want to drive it, no further mention of the car.

Now THIS is an example of how to satisfy a customer. DID EXACTLY as I asked, gave me a couple of choices (not just one) and made sure I had the information. Did my previous poor experience impact this one? Maybe... but I was impressed, and after 19 previous car buys that's hard to do. A HUGE and when the smoke clears in the next week with GM, they will have one car sold and maybe a second (Corvette) ... and $6K under invoice is nice too!!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 03-06-09 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-06-09, 08:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice story, that's one great salesperson!
Old 03-06-09, 09:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great sales professional, let's see where he decides to work next.
Old 03-06-09, 09:25 AM
skinny gs
Rookie

Now that is FUNNY
Old 03-06-09, 11:09 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar experiences with the man who sold me my Yukon. I told him what I was looking for and we went over several models that they had in stock (Honda dealer). I drove several vehicles and the deal on the Yukon was great and even though it was a little bigger than what I wanted, it did everything well and was extremely comfortable. He didn't pressure and was very patient. Even drove me from Mobile to Daphne when I went to make the actual purchase and drive the vehicle home.

The Tahoe/Yukon already high marks and I give it my own. Its got every option but the Denali and moonroof. I have never driven a smoother riding vehicle. The seat feels like a recliner going down the road.

It has an incredible turning radius for its size; I'd venture to say its better than my SC300. Gas mileage is about 15-16 but I was only getting 17-18 in my SC300 (and everything needed replacing). The Yukon as a DD allows me to help out at work (hauling expensive electronics equipment off-road sometimes and large loads of PLCs and control cabinets); and to also work on my Lexus in my spare time. While I think the interior is sub-par compared to my 14 year old Lexus, it hasn't cracked or broken (and its still better than any of the Nissans I've sat in over the past 3 years).
Old 03-06-09, 12:11 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bean
I had similar experiences with the man who sold me my Yukon. I told him what I was looking for and we went over several models that they had in stock (Honda dealer). I drove several vehicles and the deal on the Yukon was great and even though it was a little bigger than what I wanted, it did everything well and was extremely comfortable. He didn't pressure and was very patient. Even drove me from Mobile to Daphne when I went to make the actual purchase and drive the vehicle home.

The Tahoe/Yukon already high marks and I give it my own. Its got every option but the Denali and moonroof. I have never driven a smoother riding vehicle. The seat feels like a recliner going down the road.

It has an incredible turning radius for its size; I'd venture to say its better than my SC300. Gas mileage is about 15-16 but I was only getting 17-18 in my SC300 (and everything needed replacing). The Yukon as a DD allows me to help out at work (hauling expensive electronics equipment off-road sometimes and large loads of PLCs and control cabinets); and to also work on my Lexus in my spare time. While I think the interior is sub-par compared to my 14 year old Lexus, it hasn't cracked or broken (and its still better than any of the Nissans I've sat in over the past 3 years).
I test drove the Tahoe LTZ at lunch and I came away extremely impressed. It rode beeter than our Sienna, did not feel the bumps like I thought AND (here we go those who know about my Vette quest) the price on the Tahoe was under invoice... and I can get a Vette UNDER invoice... <drool>....

The interior was VERY nice as were the seats... I likes a lot
Old 03-06-09, 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

I test drove the Tahoe LTZ at lunch and I came away extremely impressed.

The interior was VERY nice as were the seats... I likes a lot
Check out the interior carefully, though. Yes, the dash and steering wheel trim are indeed MUCH improved over the last-generation models...there's no question about that. But much the rest of the interior is the typical GM flat-finish plastic that has been around for years.

Also check out the brakes carefully. Big GM trucks/SUVs have a history of excessively weak and spongy brakes....newer ones seem to have mixed results. The 2007 Tahoe I reviewed (a present-generation model) had slightly improved brakes over the last generation (not much). The Denali and Escalade seemed to have somewhat better ones. The Tahoe Hybrid will probably have regenerative-braking that also helps somewhat.
Old 03-06-09, 02:31 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Have had my 07 Tahoe for a little over a year with 31K on the odom......and love it. 22's on the corners and some headrest monitors and it is the ultimate road trip vehicle. Had a couple of TSB's that got taken care of but besides that.....you'll be happy.
Old 03-06-09, 10:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Now THIS is an example of how to satisfy a customer.
it will only matter if u end up buying something.

get the Z06 already!
Old 03-07-09, 04:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Check out the interior carefully, though. Yes, the dash and steering wheel trim are indeed MUCH improved over the last-generation models...there's no question about that. But much the rest of the interior is the typical GM flat-finish plastic that has been around for years.

Also check out the brakes carefully. Big GM trucks/SUVs have a history of excessively weak and spongy brakes....newer ones seem to have mixed results. The 2007 Tahoe I reviewed (a present-generation model) had slightly improved brakes over the last generation (not much). The Denali and Escalade seemed to have somewhat better ones. The Tahoe Hybrid will probably have regenerative-braking that also helps somewhat.
I really tested the brakes, took it for a long test on country roads, VERY impressed. I will test the Z71 package (I drove the LTZ) to compare as I like the Z71 look better, and choose between the two.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it will only matter if u end up buying something.

get the Z06 already!
Test-driving the 2LT and Z06 Wednesday!!!

But the Tahoe solves my space/AWD/towing/family needs PERFECTLY, so that means, for MY car.... a Corvette would...
Old 03-07-09, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I really tested the brakes, took it for a long test on country roads, VERY impressed. I will test the Z71 package (I drove the LTZ) to compare as I like the Z71 look better, and choose between the two.
I don't recall having driven the Z71 package, but I think it includes a noticeable firmer suspension for towing and off-roading. It may ride more roughly.

But the Tahoe solves my space/AWD/towing/family needs PERFECTLY, so that means, for MY car.... a Corvette would...

Is your garage large enough for a Tahoe? It's not as long as a Suburban, but still quite big and hefty.
Old 03-07-09, 10:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't recall having driven the Z71 package, but I think it includes a noticeable firmer suspension for towing and off-roading. It may ride more roughly..
That's why I want to try the Z71 before deciding... and even though I felt the LTZ was a bit nicer inside, the Z71 was still very nice

Is your garage large enough for a Tahoe? It's not as long as a Suburban, but still quite big and hefty.
Yes, I used to keep my 18 ft Crownline in my garage... but a valid point!
Old 03-08-09, 12:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

when things are as slow as they are at a GM dealership right now they have plenty of time to kiss ***
Old 03-08-09, 12:47 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two words.............chapter eleven!

I hope GM can turn it around, after reneging on billions of dollars in debt and government loans. The key I'm afraid lies with the unions......restructuring is vital to GM's success.
Old 03-08-09, 05:33 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
two words.............chapter eleven!

I hope GM can turn it around, after reneging on billions of dollars in debt and government loans. The key I'm afraid lies with the unions......restructuring is vital to GM's success.
Yep... since it's about given that its 11 and not 7 (govt is interviening) it helped my decision on what to buy...

Quick Reply: An EXTREMELY positive GM story