Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new e-class has more features than LS460!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 11:30 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new e-class has more features than LS460!!!

wow, new E-class has tons of new features...
Lexus needs to step it up!

http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom_...-class/en.html

click on E-class highlights...
Old 03-06-09, 11:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no surprise.

lexus gizmos are pretty standard these days. nothing high tech.
Old 03-07-09, 12:15 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Be easy on the LS the E-Class is a new redesign it's expected to have some new innovated features, the LS has been out for three years now, look at the new RX it has some features the LS 460 doesn't have I believe aswell.
Old 03-07-09, 04:54 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say this as a mercedes benz enthusiast/owner, and i'm mostly being factious but...

A mercedes with more features then a LS460 is NOT a selling point to me. If they said "The new Mercedes E class has the same features as a 1995 ES300 but they work like a lexus LS460" THEN i'd get excited. The the topic reads to me as: "New E class has 'more features to warranty in the next 4 years then burn cash on replacing in the years after that' then the LS460"

It's NOT the motors or the build quality that make people ***** about them, its the FEATURES.
Old 03-07-09, 05:58 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

not really the same category lol

anyways the blindspot thing is nice, i forgot what other vehicle has that feature hmmm

i wish there was an option at lexus, if you like other tech features from other cars and its not on the model you have, you can have them installed at a price
Old 03-07-09, 06:51 AM
dr Lu
Driver

i like it...it gives the next gen GS some competition..it doesnt look half bad either.
Old 03-07-09, 08:57 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
wow, new E-class has tons of new features...
Lexus needs to step it up!

http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom_...-class/en.html

click on E-class highlights...
The Prius has the same features as an LS460. LED headlights, Radar cruise, LKA, PCS are stuff you only seen on Lexus vehicles (in fact, is the LS the only one with LKA?).

The E-Class is a brand new car and the LS has been out for 3 years. It's only natural that newer models will have the latest gizmos and gadgets. The RX has the HUD, Remote Touch and OLED screen which the LS doesn't have.
Old 03-07-09, 09:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't bank on Euro spec version that much because you could have had a lot of goodies in old Euro spec E-class if you were willing to pay for it.

Sure all that technology is available but every single one of them is an option. For example memory seats in E-class will run you €1,200, Heated/Cooled seats is another separate option that costs €1,400, Multicontour seats option is also another €1,200 and if you want to have them seats in leather that's another €2,000. So all those wonderful features come at a price especially in EU.
Old 03-07-09, 10:45 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

The E class is also smaller than the LS460 and in the same price bracket. Not exactly the same category...
Old 03-07-09, 11:09 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That' great, so that means the next GS have to beat it so it'll have more features that is RELIABLE.
Old 03-07-09, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
That' great, so that means the next GS have to beat it so it'll have more features that is RELIABLE.
uh, guess u haven't read the tons of posts of problems with the current gs. but i'm sure overall yes, the gs is SLIGHTLY more reliable than the gs. the gs is also selling like week old meat loaf.
Old 03-07-09, 05:01 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I think the selling point of the E class is the fact that it is so well-balanced, safe, solid and of course the badge.

From the many reviews I have read and the fact that I currently drive a W211 E class, I can attest that this vehicle is very well balanced. This car, the W211, is a beautiful blend of luxury, comfort and sport. It does everything well and really has no major weaknesses in that regard. Even the '230 model, which I drive, is spirited and economical.

So in comparison to a BMW 5 series or Audi A6 the E class might not be as sporty-oriented, but it beats them both in comfort, trunk space and such things. Hence, it is pretty logical that the E class would be a more interesting family cruiser than either the A6 or 5 series and even the GS, which I find to be a great car but with several major shortcomings, in particular the fact that you feel like a sardine stuffed inside a can inside the Lexus offering.

By the way, there have been a bunch of new E class reviews including of the E550. Car and Driver really likes it claiming "it handles like a BMW 5 series" while still retaining that traditional Mercedes comfort.

Here's the review: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

2010 Mercedes-Benz E-class / E550 - First Drive Review

New styling and better road manners bring the new E-class closer to just right.

BY TONY QUIROGA
March 2009

The Mercedes-Benz E-class is the sedan that bridges the showroom gap between the six-figure S-class and the $30,000 C-class. Without the E, the Mercedes lineup would simply encompass two extremes of luxury sedans, with a bunch of SUVs occupying the space between.

Mercedes has thoroughly redone its mid-size E-class range for 2010. Thoroughly means this is not a mere styling refresh, but the design indeed has evolved and it’s the most obvious change. For its past two generations, the E-class has worn four oval-shaped headlights, a look that became iconic enough for the Koreans to copy it on the Kia Amanti and the previous Hyundai Sonata. The ovoids are gone now, replaced by four parallelogram-shaped lamps that look unique but still make sense on an E-class. The change from soft shapes continues to the roofline, as the new car is more angular and creased more sharply than before. Those creases have drawn some flack for what happens in the rear fender, but photos don’t do the back end justice. The roundness of the rear fender flare and the horizontal line that sits above works far better in person than in a two-dimensional photograph.

Changes More Than Skin Deep

Under the new skin is an entirely new steel unibody structure. A few sprinklings of aluminum are present in the front fenders, hood, radiator support, and steering column bracket, but the E-class remains a steel-intensive vehicle. Not surprisingly, overall weight is expected to increase from the 3740 pounds that the company claimed for the previous E350. However, Mercedes is quick to point out that the E’s new structure passes future crash legislation and enjoys a 30-percent improvement in structural rigidity. Over the road, the structure feels silent and quiver-free, but the same could be said of the previous model.

Mercedes has resisted making the E-class a larger car. Overall length is 191.7 inches, an increase of 0.7 inch, and the wheelbase measures 113.1 inches, again a growth of 0.7 inch. Subjectively, interior volume seems about the same as the previous generation. The more upright roofline adds a few fractions of an inch to the front and rear headroom, and rear legroom is also up slightly, but the difference is negligible. Trunk space, however, is up 2.2 cubic feet to 19.1.

So there’s not a lot more space inside, but what really separates the new E’s interior from its progenitor is the new look. Inside is where the E-class’s reconciliation between the C-class and the S-class truly occurs. Many elements look as if they are borrowed from the more luxurious S-class; the column shifter, the center armrest and console, the LED lighting that glows at night, and the quality of the materials are all very close to what is found in the bigger Benz. What appears to be from the C-class—or at least similar to the items in the C-class—is the **** that controls the Comand infotainment system, the radio buttons, and the instrument gauges. Exclusive to the E are new seats that have more padding and feel more supple and richer than the previous car’s thrones.

Same Power, New Feel

What hasn’t changed is what powers the E-class. When the car goes on sale in the U.S. this July, two engines will be offered: a 268-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 and a 382-hp, 5.5-liter V-8. Both engines are connected to a seven-speed automatic transmission. Our drive concentrated on the E550 (or E500, as it is known in Europe). After the introduction of the E550 and E350, an E350 wagon, 4Matic all-wheel drive, and the E63 AMG variants will join the lineup. Models equipped with 4Matic will get the seven-speed automatic for the first time, and in 2010, the 50-state-legal 3.0-liter V-6 turbo-diesel returns.

Driving the latest E-class reveals a familiar character, but it doesn’t take long to realize that something is different. Steering accuracy is better and more BMW-like. Some of the sluggishness of the previous E-class’s helm has been ousted and replaced with more responsive tuning. Consequently, the car feels more alive. The slightly lethargic feel of the previous car, like the low-mounted turn signal stalk, was long a Mercedes trait and something we’d come to expect from the E-class. Some of the creaminess of the ride and steering is left, but it feels like the car is on a smaller dose of Vicodin than before.

Trickle-Down Safety Technology

Safety features abound, with several borrowed from the S-class. From the big Benz comes the optional infrared NightView Assist Plus that can now warn the driver of the possibility of pedestrians (that’s the Plus part). There’s also the optional Distronic radar-based cruise-control system that uses short- and long-range radar to allow the car to come to a complete stop on its own when using cruise control. When equipped with Distronic, the E-class also gets automatic emergency braking. Even if the driver ignores the collision warning and doesn’t brake, the car will automatically apply the binders to lessen the speed of impact. Also borrowed from the S-class is the standard PreSafe system that will prepare the car for a collision by cinching seatbelts, adjusting the seat, and flashing the warning lights under heavy braking or when an imminent collision is detected.

Other safety features include 11 airbags, optional blind-spot warning, and optional lane-departure warning that sends a subtle vibration through the steering wheel to let the driver know when the car leaves its lane without a signal. Adaptive High-Beam Control, which automatically adjusts the height of the high-beam pattern depending on traffic conditions to give the driver the maximum amount of illumination, also is available as an option. The system’s camera senses oncoming traffic as well as cars traveling in the same direction and adjusts the light pattern to avoid blinding other motorists. Another night-driving aid is the standard Attention Assist system that monitors the driver’s steering, throttle, and brake inputs using the same sensors as the stability control system. The system is programmed to look for changes in driver behavior and is especially sensitive in the evening. The first 20 minutes provide a baseline for driver behavior, and any alterations are monitored and compared with the initial characteristic. Should the driver start to input large corrections or strange inputs that might indicate he’s falling asleep, the car will display a coffee-cup icon to suggest taking a break from the road.

Not Too Hot, Not Too Cold…

It sounds like the E-class is on its way to becoming a completely autonomous automobile, but for those of us who actually enjoy driving, the E-class is now a more engaging car to pilot. The numerous driver-safety “assistants” don’t get in the way unless the driver makes a mistake, and they’re all defeatable if you don’t wish to have your car constantly babysitting you.

If Mercedes-Benz was forced to only make one product, we guess that it would be the E-class. It’s one vehicle in the Mercedes’s range that balances its size and value in a way that escapes the rest of the automaker’s sedan lineup. The E-class borrows the best bits and pieces from its bigger and smaller siblings; it draws refinement and much of its safety gear from the S-class and blends it with the small and deft feel of the C-class. That mélange might make the E-class seem like a car searching out the middle ground, but it’s that middle area that makes for the best Mercedes-Benz. Some might call that compromised, but it’s actually the Mercedes that asks its owner to compromise the least.

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

BASE PRICE (C/D EST.): E350 $55,000 / E550 $65,000

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection / DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 213 cu in, 3498cc / 333 cu in, 5461cc
Power (SAE net): 268 bhp @ 6000 rpm / 382 @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 258 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm / 391 @ 4800 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 113.1 in Length: 191.7 in Width: 75.9 in Height: 57.6 in
Curb weight (C/D EST.): 3900-4100 lbs

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 6.0 / 4.9 sec
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST.):
EPA city/highway driving: 17/24 mpg/15/22 mpg
Old 03-07-09, 08:45 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just get excited when i see new features and gadgets. no way i choose new E-Class over the LS460L, I love that car, but I will choose S550 AMG over LS460L on most days.
Old 03-07-09, 11:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

features dont mean as much to me as being able to make my car look like this
Attached Thumbnails new e-class has more features than LS460!!!-ls_front_corner.jpg  
Old 03-08-09, 12:06 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The E-Class is a brand new car and the LS has been out for 3 years. It's only natural that newer models will have the latest gizmos and gadgets. The RX has the HUD, Remote Touch and OLED screen which the LS doesn't have.
the RX also has automatic highbeams, bi-xenons and an awd system that can send 100% to the front wheels.

the LX has Night View and a 180-degree front camera.

other than that I'm pretty sure the LS has everything Toyota has to offer, just have to wait for the refresher, hopefully the LS 600h's hybrid components get updated.

Quick Reply: new e-class has more features than LS460!!!