Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

top gear: m3 vs is-f

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 04:24 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Coming from the resident Accord/Passat driving, VW leg humper this post doesn't mean alot.

I'm curious where in this thread anyone stated that the F was the better car. "Better" is an awfully subjective comment. The posted times of professional drivers are close enough that in reality....that's right...out on the street or the track...it is a complete driver's race.

I'm guessing that I will roast just as many M3 drivers as I will lose to. It all comes down to driver skill when they are this close.

Typical on here to listen to posters who don't own any of the cars in this class to spout their baseless opinions.
+1

Originally Posted by mmarshall

For general street use, though, I like the way the BMW 335i drives, better than either the M3 (which would probabaly be better on a track) or the IS-F. If for no other reason, The 335i's torque not only eclipses the M3's 305 to 295, but it is also noticeably more responsive at lower RPM's. The 335i I drove, with options and the Sport Package, also listed for only 47K, far berlow either the M3 or IS-F.

IS-F's are going for 45-50k (well below invoice) and I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pay more for a 335i than an IS-F

And I don't drive "generally" on the street...........I treat it like Thunderdome baby! Two saloons enter, one saloon leaves
Old 03-07-09, 04:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

he called out the is-f fake exhaust tips
Old 03-07-09, 04:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

the is-f is what you'd expect given how it was developed by enthusiasts as a back room project at lexus, who wanted to drive the snot out of it, and maybe they're fans of subaru wrx's or mitsubishi evo's, given the kinda tacky plastic add-ons and uncompromising (stiff) ride.

the m3 is simply a successor to a loooong line of M3's and i think bmw knows most owners have to live with the car in boring driving too. the prior m3 was STIIIFFFF, and prior ones to that were definitely pretty uncompromising too! the latest is somehow more refined yet still has the BALANCED COMBINATION of steering, transmission, brakes, suspension and weight distribution that Lexus has a way to go to catch up to.

nevertheless, the is-f is a more than a toe in the water, it's half of lexus' leg.
Old 03-07-09, 04:48 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
he called out the is-f fake exhaust tips
I know right.......it's funny however, I don't hear anyone complaining about the Audi R8's fake exhaust tips though

the is-f is what you'd expect given how it was developed by enthusiasts as a back room project at lexus, who wanted to drive the snot out of it, and maybe they're fans of subaru wrx's or mitsubishi evo's, given the kinda tacky plastic add-ons and uncompromising (stiff) ride.

the m3 is simply a successor to a loooong line of M3's and i think bmw knows most owners have to live with the car in boring driving too. the prior m3 was STIIIFFFF, and prior ones to that were definitely pretty uncompromising too! the latest is somehow more refined yet still has the BALANCED COMBINATION of steering, transmission, brakes, suspension and weight distribution that Lexus has a way to go to catch up to.

nevertheless, the is-f is a more than a toe in the water, it's half of lexus' leg.
Interesting...........how much seat time do you have in the M3 and IS-F to base your observations
Old 03-07-09, 05:02 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I think the M3 is also an amazing car and certainly holds the upper hand as far as suspension and weight distribution is concerned. The steering in the M3 is better, but only marginally imo.

However, I would disagree that the transmission and brakes of the M3 are superior. I also spend a fair amount of time over on M3post, and both seem to be the top complaints of current owners. The DCT has been well short of expectations and there are many issues with brake problems.

mmarshall...that's cool We're each entitled to our opinion, and you know that I respect yours. I have never said that the F cruises like a luxo-barge (think CLS 550), but then again I don't expect it to.

The aesthetics are, again, subjective, but I do find it amusing to listen to all the derision over the F hood bulge....when the M3 has, what can only be described as, a huge pimple on the hood that actually appears in your line of sight. Just so we're clear, the hood bulge is not visible from inside the F.

Last edited by CDNROCKIES; 03-07-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 05:18 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

However, I would disagree that the transmission and brakes of the M3 are superior. I also spend a fair amount of time over on M3post, and both seem to be the top complaints of current owners. The DCT has been well short of expectations and there are many issues with brake problems.

And where is the looooooong line of performance lineage from BMW when their new DCT transmission was recalled because the engine was stalling under hard braking? Funny how you don't hear any of that from Jeremy Clarkson and his band of village idiots! He's too busy complaining about how 8 gears is too many in the IS-F

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/20/b...lutch-gearbox/

me thinks Fail
Old 03-07-09, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed

IS-F's are going for 45-50k (well below invoice) and I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pay more for a 335i than an IS-F
You probably wouldn't HAVE to pay more. The 335i I reviewed listed for 47K....the IS-F for 57K. If IS-F's are going out the door well below invoice, than the 335i is likely, too. Almost any way you look at it, you could probably get a new 335i for less than an new IS-F.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...exus-is-f.html
Old 03-07-09, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Funny how you don't hear any of that from Jeremy Clarkson and his band of village idiots! He's too busy complaining about how 8 gears is too many in the IS-F
While 8 speeds aren't necessarily "too many", any more than 600 HP is if you don't use it, a good argument can be made they are overkill. Once you get around 6 speeds or so, for the most part, you really don't need any more gears....IMO, they just add needless cost, weight, and complexity to the transmission. I think Lexus and Mercedes developed the 7 and 8 speed gearboxes just to try and one-up other automakers in the PR department.

And as far as Clarkson's reviews go, I'm not going to throw any stones at him because I (and 1SICKLEX, here on the forum) review cars ourselves, but I will say that Clarkson doesn't impress me (a lot of comedy and politics is mixed in), and a lot of people don't take him seriously.
Old 03-07-09, 06:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

While 8 speeds aren't necessarily "too many", any more than 600 HP is if you don't use it, a good argument can be made they are overkill. Once you get around 6 speeds or so, for the most part, you really don't need any more gears....IMO, they just add needless cost, weight, and complexity to the transmission. I think Lexus and Mercedes developed the 7 and 8 speed gearboxes just to try and one-up other automakers in the PR department.
The M3's DCT has 7 speeds as well. Both the M3 and C63 get brutal gas mileage, in spite of the additional gearing. At least we get excellent mileage (for this class), with the 8th speed.
Old 03-07-09, 06:15 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Whether or not Lexus and MB are trying to one up each other is conjecture on your part and no one can be sure at this point. Regardless of the impetus behind the R & D the truth remains that I average over 21 mpg (28 mpg fwy) because of the low RPM cruising ability due in large part because of the 8 speed gearbox. And we have already discussed ad nauseam that the IS-F is the only car in its class that doesn't implement a gas-guzzler tax.

Some say overkill, I say kudos to Lexus for giving its owners a reliable and fast production car that can more than hold its own in the four door uber sedan car segment while achieving awesome gas mileage!

Good insight as always mmarshall........ I agree with 99% of your reviews!
Old 03-07-09, 06:18 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

The M3's DCT has 7 speeds as well. Both the M3 and C63 get brutal gas mileage, in spite of the additional gearing. At least we get excellent mileage (for this class), with the 8th speed.

Quit plagiarizing me Rockies

I get so tired of explaining this to people that it makes me want to dig a hole in the park and sit there until supper!
Old 03-07-09, 07:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Coming from the resident Accord/Passat driving, VW leg humper this post doesn't mean alot.

I'm curious where in this thread anyone stated that the F was the better car. "Better" is an awfully subjective comment. The posted times of professional drivers are close enough that in reality....that's right...out on the street or the track...it is a complete driver's race.

I'm guessing that I will roast just as many M3 drivers as I will lose to. It all comes down to driver skill when they are this close.

Typical on here to listen to posters who don't own any of the cars in this class to spout their baseless opinions.

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
I dont know how to reply to what you said you will be flamed by other users.
just a few points.
-You are acting like a typical lexus fanboy
- M3 is the best over all package
- Not going to argue no need for more infractions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzVv...eature=channel
Originally Posted by f=ma
-You are acting like a typical bmw fanboy
-you feel m3 is best over all package, others don't. me? i decided to go with isf after having my 2002 e46 m3 engine blow up.
-not goign to argue no need for more infractions
drunk_dave, f=ma, cdnrockies: I would like for you all to exit this thread please. This type of personal commentary and response to that commentary is not appropriate for our forum.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-07-09 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 07:49 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I just love how people who have never driven both the IS F and e92 M3 before are commenting like they are the experts in this topic, and to be honest, judging a car based on the tail-pipe design is nothing short of being ridiculous...

I've driven the IS F on the track before but haven't got the chance to drive the e92 M3 so I'll reserve my judgment of the video.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-07-09 at 07:52 PM. Reason: not needed
Old 03-07-09, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

god..... hard to believe this video can cause this.... it's just a review, a data point, watch it for fun...

i have the new m3, and i have driven the is-f extensively including track. i think they both have their goods and bads. one car will win in some areas and the other win in some. i don't think there is one that's a "true" winner so it goes back to a lot of personal preference.

take it easy... i have new m3 but i don't put down the is-f at all. it's still a very nice car and i don't mind having it too
Old 03-07-09, 11:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am a huge fan of Japanese cars and loved my G35 so much I rolled around with I8ABMR as my license plate. I will admit the first time I drove the 335 compared to a new 2nd gen G35 sedan then I understood why they always beat the G35. Its a hair better in almost every aspect. Just a hair, but its better. I am assuming the same goes for the Lexus and the M3. The Lexus is in its first generation of the first sporty sedan they have ever done. The M3 is obviously going to be the winner here

Quick Reply: top gear: m3 vs is-f