Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Costliest Cars to Own ......

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 10:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Top 10 Costliest Cars to Own ......

Costliest Cars To Own

Hannah Elliott, 03.03.09

These coupes, SUVs and sedans are anything but wallet-friendly over the long term.

It remains to be seen if President Obama's $787 billion stimulus bill, with $17.4 billion allocated for automakers, could be the shot in the arm they need to restore flagging sales--which were down 36.6% in the U.S. in January.

Unfortunately, today's popular, downsized, fuel-efficient vehicles that promise dependability and affordability over the long-term are not the cars that translate to profits for the automakers. Instead it's the higher-priced, less-practical vehicles that make more money; they also continue to cost consumers long after they've driven off the lot.

People need to be looking at all these various costs, such as depreciation and insurance and maintenance and repairs and fuel efficiency," says David Wurster, who leads product development and industry analysis for Vincentric, an auto-industry data analysis firm based in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. "Those always should be areas to be considering when you're purchasing a car because they separate a good buy from a money vacuum."

To wit: Most buyers will do just fine with the $98,500 Mercedes-Benz SL550 Roadster as opposed to its $190,700 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Roadster counterpart. The AMG costs so much more because of its ultra-specialized, ultra-powerful engine, which guzzles more gas. Never mind that the AMG has some of the highest depreciation, insurance and maintenance costs of any car on the road.

Behind the Numbers
To find the costliest vehicles to own, we used data from Vincentric to calculate the costs of depreciation; interest on the loan; fuel; maintenance and repairs; taxes and fees; and insurance over five years, then divided the results into 11 segments (excluding low-production vehicles from the likes of Aston Martin and Bugatti) to find the most expensive models in each class.

What we found is common sense: Cars with high sticker prices tend to cost the most over the long haul. German automaker Mercedes-Benz, in particular, dominated our list, with five segment winners, including the $194,950 S65 AMG sedan and $88,500 E63 AMG wagon.

But exceptions do occur. At $53,460, the Chevrolet Suburban is priced less than the $55,340 Lincoln Navigator SUV but has a higher ownership cost due to its higher depreciation rates and poor fuel economy.
SLIDE SHOW : http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/03/cos...artner=yahooca

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/03/cos...iest_cars.html
Old 03-08-09, 10:11 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

At a certain point, it is just cool to say "Yes, i pay more for my insurance then you do your whole car" that is if you have money of course haah
Old 03-08-09, 12:16 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how many years is that depreciation after? 3? 5?

i would love to buy raw amg power for a $135000 discount.

maybe i can put the engine block in my lexus, and finally be able to put a legit AMG badge on my rear end
Old 03-08-09, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I wonder how Porsches compare to Mercedes in the average cost of ownership. It is odd that there were no Porsches on the list. Among mass-produced cars, both makes have some of the highest parts/repair/service costs in the industry, when not warranty-related or covered by free service.....Porsche even more so. Perhaps the difference is in depreciation.
Old 03-08-09, 01:55 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks for Mercedes. Just the other day I saw a 2005 S500 with 70,000 miles for sale. Asking price: $20,000. I'm sure the owner would take a bit less if it were in cash. I thought to myself, "Man.... this car depreciated really bad. It's only 4 years old and now worth only about 1/4 of what it was purchased for."
Old 03-08-09, 02:29 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wonder how Porsches compare to Mercedes in the average cost of ownership. It is odd that there were no Porsches on the list. Among mass-produced cars, both makes have some of the highest parts/repair/service costs in the industry, when not warranty-related or covered by free service.....Porsche even more so. Perhaps the difference is in depreciation.
+1

Just look at all the engine failure issues with Porsche. Interesting perspective
Old 03-08-09, 08:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am going to keep driving my Japanese cars and put the cash in the bank. Not that the LS460 or Nissan GT-R are cheap cars to maintain
Old 03-08-09, 09:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I remember reading a while ago the Dodge Viper was the costliest car to own because it was so rare, had so many reliability problems/issues, was so expensive to work on and get parts for, and lost so much value. I am surprised Ferrari is not on that list as they are insanely expensive to own and are unreliable but they do hold their value pretty well, also surprised Porsche is not on that list especially the 911 as it is also very expensive to maintain.
Old 03-09-09, 06:35 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Hang on a second...they say that they are "excluding low-production vehicles from the likes of Aston Martin and Bugatti"...but, they include the Merc. SL65 AMG Roadster? I did a quick Google Search and, in 2006, Mercedes made a grand-total of 390 SL65 AMG's. If that's not a "low-production vehicle" I'm not really sure what is.

The AMG's are all specialty, low-production vehicles (and, not suprisingly, the first FIVE vehicles on their top-10 list are AMG cars).
Old 03-09-09, 09:04 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO at the term "Ultra Specialized" equipment.
Old 03-09-09, 01:34 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never have been a big fan of Mercedes
Old 03-09-09, 01:40 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8speed
+1

Just look at all the engine failure issues with Porsche. Interesting perspective
Porsche reliability isn't bad until you start nearing 6 figure mileage...

Also, I do not think they are including the exotic supercar brands such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, ect.
Old 03-09-09, 01:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol kudos to mb, they are really high up on the list and dominated it too

that's some major depreciation they take on the 65 series car. seems like after a few years one can pick up a 65 amg for dirt. only problem is one will have to spend a lot more to fix?
Old 03-09-09, 04:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by darkdream
Porsche reliability isn't bad until you start nearing 6 figure mileage...
I think he's talking about the engine reliability issue that is impacting some significant percentage of recent 996/997/986/987 Carreras and Boxsters. The IMS failure usually requires total engine replacement before 40K miles when it happens. And Porsche has been known to assist even after warranty expires for original owners.
Old 03-09-09, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
not suprisingly, the first FIVE vehicles on their top-10 list are AMG cars).
As I see it, that shows that they are probably overpriced to begin with. But, to be honest, those hand-built AMG powerplants are not cheap to produce.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Costliest Cars to Own ......