Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe (and Hyundai Genesis Coupe comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
41k nicely loaded

Hardly a bargain for a car that is lackluster in regards to performance. I've driven my bros G37S and although engaging, did not impress me enough.....especially for that price!
A cheaper base Coupe is available.....the tested Journey was a mid-level version. But I think the Genesis Coupe (any version) soundly beats just about any G37 coupe in value per dollar, though there is little question the G37 gives you a better interior. It also has a V6 version standard in all trim levels, where the Genesus coupe has a VW/Audi-style 2.0T four in the base models.

It sounds like your impression of your brother's car is about the same as mine with the G37S I drove today.
Old 03-09-09, 08:49 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please explain to me why the Genesis coupe is getting compared to the G37 and not the 370Z? I just don't see the point in comparing a sports car to a luxury cruiser.
Old 03-09-09, 09:11 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Twan0690
Can someone please explain to me why the Genesis coupe is getting compared to the G37 and not the 370Z? I just don't see the point in comparing a sports car to a luxury cruiser.
I believe it's because the 370 is only a 2 seater. Although I don't see why that should matter considering they're both sports coupes and that most in the market for a sports coupe probably could care less for the extra 2 seats.
Old 03-10-09, 03:22 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

EXCELLENT review Mike, and a comparison I was looking forward to reading... and agreeing on!! One of the best comparison tests ever here

For me, the battle was over the moment I saw the new Genesis Coupe. And while I agree the interior of the Coupe doesn't match the sedan, I did not find it that inferior to the G37... and the price more than makes up for it.

NAV in the Genesis is a couple months away... if you can wait, or REALLY want a street/track machine, get a 3.8 Track OR wait for the modders dream, the 2.0T!!!
Old 03-10-09, 03:23 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
I believe it's because the 370 is only a 2 seater. Although I don't see why that should matter considering they're both sports coupes and that most in the market for a sports coupe probably could care less for the extra 2 seats.
You are correct!!!
Old 03-10-09, 04:00 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
You are correct!!!
Also, the G37 and Genesis Coupe are more closely related in size. The 350Z is tiny in comparison. The two cars, really, couldn't be more different. I believe the Genesis is bigger than most people think. I was thinking it would be more the size of a Tiburon but it's actually much, much larger.
Old 03-10-09, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twan0690
It was done at specific CL member request...as most of my reviews are.

I have also done a recent review of the 370Z. It's in the CAR CHAT archives if you want to look at it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ssan-370z.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-09 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-10-09, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
EXCELLENT review Mike, and a comparison I was looking forward to reading... and agreeing on!! One of the best comparison tests ever here
Thanks, Russ. Your request was not the only one, either.

For me, the battle was over the moment I saw the new Genesis Coupe. And while I agree the interior of the Coupe doesn't match the sedan, I did not find it that inferior to the G37... and the price more than makes up for it.
The battle will really be over when you DRIVE the Genesis coupe, at least the 3.8 Track version.

The Coupe's interior, like I said in the review, is not garbage my any means, but the vertically-mounted switches on the door panels are awkward to use, the silver painted-plastic trim (though well-done) cannot compare with the
G37's real textured aluminum and beautiful Rosewood, and the seat leather is distinctly a lower grade. That, of course, is offset by the fact that the G37's interior is definitely not for big, tall people. Still, the G37 is more impressive inside....but, as you say, there is also a big price difference. And is is amazing that Hyundai can do as good or better a chassis and drivetrain at a much lower price.

NAV in the Genesis is a couple months away...
Opinions differ, but I myself would rather not have a NAV. First, I know how to read maps ( I MADE maps and charts at one time, mostly for aviation, and was a licensed pilot), and, second, it makes the center-dash controls more difficult and complex. But I understand where you are coming from. Many of you younger guys don't have the problem with complex dash electronics like I do. It's the same with the auto magazines. Many of the older guys have more problems with I-Drive, MMI, complex readouts, etc..... than the younger guys do.
Old 03-10-09, 07:57 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Mike, thanks again for the review the comparison analysis you made on both cars are spot on.

I'm actually one of younger guys who would rather not have a NAV, and complex dash electronics as well.
Old 03-10-09, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Mike, thanks again for the review the comparison analysis you made on both cars are spot on.
Sure....Anytime.

I'm actually one of younger guys who would rather not have a NAV, and complex dash electronics as well.
Glad to know my opinion is not alone. And get this.....I had two Buicks right out of high school, before I was 20. I liked them both (but, of course, I liked the muscle-cars of the era, too....I also had a Plymouth Barracuda).

Even with younger minds that can multi-task quicker than older ones (and, as a pilot, I certainly knew what multi-tasking was), too much electronic crap on the dashboards can still be distracting. That is what causes many accidents.
Old 03-10-09, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Also, the G37 and Genesis Coupe are more closely related in size. The 350Z is tiny in comparison. The two cars, really, couldn't be more different. I believe the Genesis is bigger than most people think. I was thinking it would be more the size of a Tiburon but it's actually much, much larger.
Not only is the Genesis coupe larger than the Tiburon (not that much larger, really), but you will definitely notice (on the 3.8 Track model) the difference in the powertrain, brakes, and handling.

I actually preferred the Tiburon's interior, though, to that of the Genesis coupe, for several reasons, among them being less-awkward door-panel controls and more-durable feeling interior materials. The only problem with the Tiburon inside is that there is too much solid black, with few if any other trim options available.
Old 03-10-09, 09:22 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

Styling, of course, is an individual subjective matter, but do you really think the G37 is that much better-looking? To me, while not identical, they both look more or less similiar. That's why I basically rated them a tie on the exterior, although, granted, the tacky-looking Genesis coupe spoiler is silly......Hyundai could have easily done without it.

Inside, there's no question about it....you're right on the money. The G37 is clearly superior inside in looks and quality. Hyundai did a nice job on the Genesis sedan's interior, but not the coupe's.
Haha, just the Genesis' front end really bothers me. I don't like how the headlights were shaped, the lower air dam, and the worst of all - grille area between headlights. Everything after the front wheels looks fine. The rear end is actually quite pleasing, I don't even mind the rear spoiler, reminds me the trend of the glory 90s. I know I am picky, but my picky-ness applies equally, not just to a specific brand.
Old 03-10-09, 11:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
"In fact, this engine is crammed in so tightly I'm concerned about proper airflow around the engine"

I hope you're joking here; do you think that Nissan engineers would release a car that's not getting proper airflow? Why do you care about the engine layout? Your typical shade tree mechanic won't be able to work on newer car engines whether there is enough space or not. Newer cars are best serviced at dealerships or by certified mechanics.
I was just reading a Road and Track comparison of the new 370Z(basically same exact engine and layout as G37) and Porsche Cayman and aside from the normal rough, course, thrashy issues of the VQ they complained of the VQ sensitivity to high temperatures as over the course they had it during track days they had to constantly to pit the 370Z due to overheating/high oil temps that affected performance. There may be some validity to mmarshals concern of it being so cramped and proper airflow if it is prematurely overheating during high temps as it may not be getting enough airflow. The Cayman did not overheat or have any problems in the same conditions. This was just one test but may prove there maybe some validity to mmarshals concern.
Old 03-10-09, 11:21 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Opinions differ, but I myself would rather not have a NAV. First, I know how to read maps ( I MADE maps and charts at one time, mostly for aviation, and was a licensed pilot), and, second, it makes the center-dash controls more difficult and complex. But I understand where you are coming from. Many of you younger guys don't have the problem with complex dash electronics like I do. It's the same with the auto magazines. Many of the older guys have more problems with I-Drive, MMI, complex readouts, etc..... than the younger guys do.
Don't mind complexity (never had issue w/ i-Drive or MMI) BUT my Z06 will NOT have NAV, if I need it, my Tom Tom is MUCH better!!

Originally Posted by UDel
I was just reading a Road and Track comparison of the new 370Z(basically same exact engine and layout as G37) and Porsche Cayman and aside from the normal rough, course, thrashy issues of the VQ they complained of the VQ sensitivity to high temperatures as over the course they had it during track days they had to constantly to pit the 370Z due to overheating/high oil temps that affected performance. There may be some validity to mmarshals concern of it being so cramped and proper airflow if it is prematurely overheating during high temps as it may not be getting enough airflow. The Cayman did not overheat or have any problems in the same conditions. This was just one test but may prove there maybe some validity to mmarshals concern.
+2... a GREAT catch and now the FOURTH time I have read about this...
Old 03-10-09, 01:50 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yeah but then what about the CTS-V to M3/F/C63 comparisons? Most people seem to make this comparison all the time without regard to size.

CTS-V - 191.6
M3 - 180.4
F - 183.5
C63 - 186.5

I guess I can understand comparisons to the C63, but not the M3 or the F if size is going to be a factor.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe (and Hyundai Genesis Coupe comparison)