Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe (and Hyundai Genesis Coupe comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 04:41 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great review. This is the second time you tested the 3.7 VQ, and again you mentioned it makes it's power high up in the rev range, as opposed to the prior 3.5 VQ that has more bottom end torque. The Styling of the G37 is growing on me I was impressed with it at the DC auto show, the interior is very nice, on par with some of the best from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.
Old 03-10-09, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Another great review.
Thanks.

This is the second time you tested the 3.7 VQ, and again you mentioned it makes it's power high up in the rev range, as opposed to the prior 3.5 VQ that has more bottom end torque.
"High", in the G37's case, means starting just shy of 4000 RPM. That's when you start to feel a significant shove. What's interesting is that the 3.7 VQ in the 370Z I drove, with a close-ratio 6-speed manual, didn't feel any spunkier than the one in the G37 with the 7-speed automatic. Usually a stick will give you better acceleration because of less weight and drag, although gear and final-drive ratios can also play a role.

The 3.5, as you note, does seem happier in stop-and go driving, down at low RPMs.

The Styling of the G37 is growing on me I was impressed with it at the DC auto show, the interior is very nice, on par with some of the best from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.
Yes, it's a handsome car, just like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, although the headlights on both are a little too-swept-up for my tastes.
Old 03-11-09, 09:47 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

awesome review mike! glad i requested it! your reviews are the best!
Old 03-11-09, 09:53 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i can't get enough of this.

my last request which will be my next car!

gen goupe 2.0T(whenever your dealer gets one)

that would be awesome!
Old 03-11-09, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
awesome review mike! glad i requested it! your reviews are the best!
Thanks, joe. I put a lot of time and attention into them.
Old 03-13-09, 01:21 PM
YEH
Pole Position

For those who don't quite believe mmarshall's claim about the GenCoupe's steering feel, here's what TTAC has to say:

The biggest surprise in this entire package: the Genesis Coupe’s steering. While the Europeans seem to favor lighter and lighter steering feel (to disguise their model’s increasingly obese if safety-oriented curb weight), the Genesis feels perfectly weighted and precise. BMW’s M3—yes, that one—should take lessons from the Genesis Coupe’s steering rack. It serves-up Porsche-level feel, with just a tad less precision.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...grand-touring/

Now granted, the various reviews (C&D, MT, R&T, Edmunds, etc.) have been across the board w/ regard to steering feel.
Old 03-13-09, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YEH
For those who don't quite believe mmarshall's claim about the GenCoupe's steering feel, here's what TTAC has to say:
The biggest surprise in this entire package: the Genesis Coupe’s steering. While the Europeans seem to favor lighter and lighter steering feel (to disguise their model’s increasingly obese if safety-oriented curb weight), the Genesis feels perfectly weighted and precise. BMW’s M3—yes, that one—should take lessons from the Genesis Coupe’s steering rack. It serves-up Porsche-level feel, with just a tad less precision.

Correct. It's one of the closest things I seen to a BMW, chassis-wise, without actually having the blue-and-white propeller on the hood.