Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari hybrid supercar in development

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 03:37 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone is getting far to emotional about this. Granted that is what Ferrari's tend to do, but I think it is a great Business Move. As Porsche is already doing the same thing, you can't fall behind. ALA General Motors and the other american car companies.

Who knows maybe they will set the bar and combine a V-12 and electric motor getting 50mpg and capable of 250mph.

Its crazy not to want or consider a combo like that!

Nowhere in the dictionary does it say that HYBRID must = LAME or SLOW.
Old 03-12-09, 07:06 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
I hate this idea. The point to buying a car like a Ferrari, bentley, or Rolls ect. is to be wasteful. To have more wood and leather then any other person should ever have, to use more gas than any other car on the road. Don't get me wrong, hybrids on some cars are brilliant, but on a Ferrari, no thank you
that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It's about time old people like you understood that the 1950's are over. It's over. Wasting anything is not gonna work in the modern world with people nearing 10 billion soon. And it ain't cool.
Old 03-12-09, 07:25 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I couldn't agree more. A hybrid Ferrari..... That goes against the idea of a Ferrari. I want massive V12's with 600 hp that get....... oh wait I dont care what kind of gas mileage my car is getting I own a Ferrari, a car that costs as much as a house in many areas of the USA. The idea of a Ferrari owner being concerned with mpg is like saying millionaires count their pennies.
Its like building a Maybach 57 for the track. LAME!!!

I say give me the unmatched acceleration and power of a Ferrari V12 and hold the hybrid BS. Save it for the librarian who is so proud to say that she only has to stop for gas every 2 weeks. The millionaires can shell it out
I think you are misunderstanding Ferrari's take on the situation.
So let me ask you a question, would you want a screeming V12 with 600hp or the same screeming V12 with 750hp (the extra 150hp comming from the HB system)?
Think about that, they will have effectivly increased the power and keep relatively the same fuel ecconomy.

So I ask you, what is the problem?
Old 03-12-09, 07:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It's about time old people like you understood that the 1950's are over. It's over. Wasting anything is not gonna work in the modern world with people nearing 10 billion soon. And it ain't cool.
I'm not old, i will leave it at that, and secondly, if you don't want to waste don't buy a Ferrari. I would gladly drive a Ferrari and take the 9 mpg and I am sure there are a lot of others who agree. If you want a fast car with good gas mileage, don't buy a Ferrari. Don't get me wrong, i love hybrids, just not on a car as historic as Ferrari
Old 03-12-09, 08:28 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

“You can use hybrid to reduce [fuel] consumption or to enhance the performance,” says Felisa, saying Ferrari will consider both options.
Originally Posted by Dave600hL
So let me ask you a question, would you want a screeming V12 with 600hp or the same screeming V12 with 750hp (the extra 150hp comming from the HB system)?
Think about that, they will have effectivly increased the power and keep relatively the same fuel ecconomy.

+1 Enhancing the performance of a Ferrari with a hybrid is what I'd want. V12 with CVT, crazy torque and some outrageous hp!
Old 03-12-09, 09:39 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not old, i will leave it at that, and secondly, if you don't want to waste don't buy a Ferrari. I would gladly drive a Ferrari and take the 9 mpg and I am sure there are a lot of others who agree. If you want a fast car with good gas mileage, don't buy a Ferrari. Don't get me wrong, i love hybrids, just not on a car as historic as Ferrari
Times change, things improve...every car company has began or has considered begin using hybrid technology... Plus what is wrong with having a car that can be efficient and faster? Using electric motors to provide instantaneous maximum torque would be so beneficial too.
Old 03-12-09, 09:45 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually.... I remember reading in a past issue of R&T that Ferrari did announce during the Geneva Auto Show (or maybe a different show) that they were looking into the possibility of a hyrbid Ferrari. They estimated that it would increase MPG ~10-15%. Not very impressive when you consider the base number to be 10MPG. LOL

Overall, I think it's a bad idea.
Old 03-13-09, 01:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Purity

I agree. I am not saying that a hybrid system would not increase power, but if Ferrari wants more power they know exactly what to do
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari hybrid supercar in development-2223791297_b870821fe7_b.jpg  
Old 03-13-09, 01:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Actually, millionaires do count their pennies, which adds to the fact that they already clearly know how to handle their money (thus being millionaires of course). Just because they have the money, doesn't mean they want to spend it foolishly. There are numerous celebrities and non-celebrities that have tons of money to burn on gas, but choose not to. Instead, they are driving around in Priuses and other fuel efficient vehicles. The point is, there are other reasons for a millionaire to want to purchase a hybrid exotic, without exclusively being concerned with mpg.
NO . Millionaires DO NOT count their pennies. They manage their money, but I assure you they don't count pennies. The celebrities who drive priuses are only the clowns in LA and they do it because its trendy.....give me a break. I grew up in LA, and its all about image for celebrities
Old 03-13-09, 02:38 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

The celebrities who drive priuses... do it because its trendy.... its all about image for celebrities
Right, like I said, there are other reasons for a millionaire/celebrity to drive a Prius or other hybrid besides only being concerned with mpg. You just proved my point, thank you.

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 03-13-09 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 09:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Right, like I said, there are other reasons for a millionaire/celebrity to drive a Prius or other hybrid besides only being concerned with mpg. You just proved my point, thank you.
I like driving the RX knowing that:
1. It's much faster
2. It's using less fuel and emitting less
3. I can sit in traffic and not use a drop
Old 03-13-09, 09:59 AM
asianrock
Driver School Candidate

NO . Millionaires DO NOT count their pennies. They manage their money, but I assure you they don't count pennies. The celebrities who drive priuses are only the clowns in LA and they do it because its trendy.....give me a break. I grew up in LA, and its all about image for celebrities
Millionaire is a vague term these days. Many celebrities aren't actually that well off as they appear to be; many rent jewlery, they do not own their own jets, ect. Many of the wealthiest self made "mega millionaires" and billionaires were penny pinchers, the best example is Warren Buffet.
Old 03-13-09, 06:32 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purity
I agree. I am not saying that a hybrid system would not increase power, but if Ferrari wants more power they know exactly what to do
So if Ferrari was to use forced induction you would be unhappy too?
Old 03-13-09, 10:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

So if Ferrari was to use forced induction you would be unhappy too?
NO. Forced induction helps to burn more gas while producing more power. Its still not something Ferrari has done in a very long time, and they did it for a short run. I think Ferrari's should be NA beasts imo. Leave the hybrid technology for cars sold to the masses. Every car comapany knows how to make power. Ferrari know how better than any, so let them continue in the fashion that the italians know the best. Very powerful V8's and V12's with sky high compression ratios and handling that defies physics ( almost ).

in the end it doesn't matter what any of us think. The future is coming regardless of what we like or don't like
Old 03-13-09, 10:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by asianrock
Millionaire is a vague term these days. Many celebrities aren't actually that well off as they appear to be; many rent jewlery, they do not own their own jets, ect. Many of the wealthiest self made "mega millionaires" and billionaires were penny pinchers, the best example is Warren Buffet.

+1. you took the words out of my mouth.

Quick Reply: Ferrari hybrid supercar in development