Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari hybrid supercar in development

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 11:13 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
NO. Forced induction helps to burn more gas while producing more power. Its still not something Ferrari has done in a very long time, and they did it for a short run. I think Ferrari's should be NA beasts imo. Leave the hybrid technology for cars sold to the masses. Every car comapany knows how to make power. Ferrari know how better than any, so let them continue in the fashion that the italians know the best. Very powerful V8's and V12's with sky high compression ratios and handling that defies physics ( almost ).

in the end it doesn't matter what any of us think. The future is coming regardless of what we like or don't like
it's not wrong to embrace change. change is what makes us better and stronger, for you and me and everyone else in this world. without change, there would be no progress, no hope for a better future...without change, we'd still be in the stone ages!
Old 03-14-09, 10:12 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No idea why all the hybrid hating going on here lol.

There are a lot of beastly cars out there like the Konigsegg that are running on corn and still badass. No one said hybrid is for the masses or its lame, no one said gasoline is what makes a car pure? Everyone was dissing diesel back in the days till Audi came out with the R10.
Old 03-16-09, 01:51 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hybrid technology is a real joke. I'd prefer an hydrogen car over an hybrid.. no polluants what-so-ever and more powerful than fuel based engines.
Old 03-16-09, 06:12 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, hydrogen fuel cells are cleaner, but because the infrastructure and supply of hydrogen pumps are far and few between, we're gonna have to settle for hybrids...for now.
Old 03-16-09, 07:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not saying I am anti hybrid. I am just saying that it doesnt need to be incorporated into a line of vehicles that are really race cars for the streets and sold in micro quantities relative to the mass market "normal" cars. The kind of me too marketing and design by ferrari is frankly sad, lame, and corporate BS in nature. Hybrid ferrari.....what a funny idea . Give me another .5 - 1.0 liter, boost compresson , and call it a day

to each his own. I am for change and I am a lover of the " green " movement , but can we apply the needed technology to the cars of the mass market and leave our superheros as SUPER heros ???????
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari hybrid supercar in development-2897536754_af35b40844_b.jpg  
Old 03-16-09, 08:55 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well not really.. come to think about it... look at the regulations for the upcoming F1 season.

They are using a system where they do regenerative braking, similar to Prius, and using that energy to give a similar boost like a turbo for about 30 secs to add extra hp and torque to the engine.

That is a hybrid system... its like boost on demand, no lag, just push a button and its NOS without a bottle. Whats so bad about that?
Old 03-16-09, 11:43 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not saying I am anti hybrid. I am just saying that it doesnt need to be incorporated into a line of vehicles that are really race cars for the streets and sold in micro quantities relative to the mass market "normal" cars. The kind of me too marketing and design by ferrari is frankly sad, lame, and corporate BS in nature. Hybrid ferrari.....what a funny idea . Give me another .5 - 1.0 liter, boost compresson , and call it a day:

to each his own. I am for change and I am a lover of the " green " movement , but can we apply the needed technology to the cars of the mass market and leave our superheros as SUPER heros ???????
I really don't understand your reasoning??? Turbos are ok but an electric engine is not??? They both do the same thing, give extra power to the engine. Get your head away from the prius concept as the hybrid system in performance cars are a different kettle of fish. In the end if you want an extremly powerful car, you will need some kind extra system to boost that power. The sound of the car does not change when the electric motor is on power, so the great sounding engine is still there.
Old 03-17-09, 12:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I understand your point, but to say that you need FI for big power is not true. Ferrari has made 850 hp in the Ferrari FXX Evolucione with no FI. Just huge high compression V12's with stratospheric red lines
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari hybrid supercar in development-428945708_ee3aa39a42_b.jpg  
Old 03-17-09, 05:46 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand your point, but to say that you need FI for big power is not true. Ferrari has made 850 hp in the Ferrari FXX Evolucione with no FI. Just huge high compression V12's with stratospheric red lines
Ok , now I am starting to see what you are saying.

BUT, let just say hypothetically that the Ferrari FXX Evoluzione was also offered in a hybrid version bosting 1,050 hp to boost performance with a price increase of corse, which do you think people will buy and which would you buy if you had the money? Not to mention the boost in torque from the electric motor...