Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari hybrid supercar in development

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 11:53 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Ferrari hybrid supercar in development

Ferrari hybrid supercar in development

Ferrari has joined the hybrid race and could have a petrol-electric car on sale by 2015.

Joining the likes of Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and BMW in developing fuel-saving petrol-electric hybrid vehicles, the Italian brand that’s known for its high-powered two-door sports cars is currently testing a prototype hybrid powertrain in the body of the sleek 599 coupe.

Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa says improving the brand’s environmental performance is the single most important issue for the company, accounting for “more than 50 per cent” of the research and development budget.

“We are running a 599 prototype [with hybrid technology],” says Felisa. “We have to understand how you can benefit from hybrid technology.”

Ferrari says the Ferrari hybrid development is in its infancy with testing to date confined to the laboratory.

But Ferrari is planning to run hybrid prototypes on its Italian test track as it works to introducing a hybrid car to showrooms as early as 2015.

“You can use hybrid to reduce [fuel] consumption or to enhance the performance,” says Felisa, saying Ferrari will consider both options.

However, Felisa says Ferrari is not looking at electric vehicles, which many see as the most logical solution to lessening the automobile’s dependence on fossil fuels and reducing greenhouse-gas-causing carbon dioxide emissions.

“I don’t think that electric is something that is suitable for Ferrari,” says Felisa, emphasising that the scream of a high revving engine accounts for much of the Ferrari DNA.

In line with new regulations for Formula One, Ferrari has a form of mild hybrid technology in this year’s race cars.

“It’s a costly but good experience with F1 and we’re looking at how we can transfer that [to road cars],” says Felisa.

Porsche was the first established sports car maker to announce it would build a hybrid car, with petrol-electric versions of its Cayenne off-roader and upcoming Panamera four-door in the wings.

Toyota remains the leader in hybrid technology, having sold more than a million of its Prius hatchbacks. Almost every mainstream brand is developing hybrid technology.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=61301&vf=7
Old 03-11-09, 03:14 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder how much that baby going to cost
Old 03-11-09, 04:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I hate this idea. The point to buying a car like a Ferrari, bentley, or Rolls ect. is to be wasteful. To have more wood and leather then any other person should ever have, to use more gas than any other car on the road. Don't get me wrong, hybrids on some cars are brilliant, but on a Ferrari, no thank you
Old 03-11-09, 05:52 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

if this system is similar to KERS on the F1 cars then it's good. press the button and get 80+hp boost
Old 03-11-09, 06:38 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
i wonder how much that baby going to cost
I heard they are getting involved in the Insight/Prius price war, so you should expect this car to be about $20k.
Old 03-11-09, 06:46 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
I hate this idea. The point to buying a car like a Ferrari, bentley, or Rolls ect. is to be wasteful. To have more wood and leather then any other person should ever have, to use more gas than any other car on the road. Don't get me wrong, hybrids on some cars are brilliant, but on a Ferrari, no thank you
The point to buying a Ferrari is to be wasteful?
Um, yea sure, more wood, better quality leather, high performance.. but to use more gas than any other car on the road? That statement is beyond ridiculous.
Old 03-11-09, 06:49 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

^ lol i thought that same thing..
Old 03-11-09, 06:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Well let me rephrase that, it gives you the option to be wasteful, and other car brands to such as Bentley or Rolls Royce. Do you know anyone with a Ferrari who cares about gas mileage? To me having a hybrid Ferrari is like having a diesel Ferrari, it just isn't right
Old 03-11-09, 07:21 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well let me rephrase that, it gives you the option to be wasteful, and other car brands to such as Bentley or Rolls Royce. Do you know anyone with a Ferrari who cares about gas mileage? To me having a hybrid Ferrari is like having a diesel Ferrari, it just isn't right
 Hmmm... No if that hybrid system was like the KERS system, nothing much would be changed in regards to performance, but fuel efficency would go up and it would still be the same good ol ferrari...
Old 03-11-09, 07:25 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

i personally wouldn't buy a ferrari to waste gas, that's just something that comes along with it.. i'd buy one to be a baller, but i guess that's a matter of choice
Old 03-11-09, 07:30 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I heard they are getting involved in the Insight/Prius price war, so you should expect this car to be about $20k.
lol i think u forgot another zero
Old 03-11-09, 10:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I couldn't agree more. A hybrid Ferrari..... That goes against the idea of a Ferrari. I want massive V12's with 600 hp that get....... oh wait I dont care what kind of gas mileage my car is getting I own a Ferrari, a car that costs as much as a house in many areas of the USA. The idea of a Ferrari owner being concerned with mpg is like saying millionaires count their pennies.
Its like building a Maybach 57 for the track. LAME!!!

I say give me the unmatched acceleration and power of a Ferrari V12 and hold the hybrid BS. Save it for the librarian who is so proud to say that she only has to stop for gas every 2 weeks. The millionaires can shell it out
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari hybrid supercar in development-2224255631_7284fdb869_b.jpg  
Old 03-11-09, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

here is another shot of a Ferrari V12 monster just to put a stamp on it. LOL Seriously though... can you imagine this thing with a hybrid symbol on it. Its like putting a monster on a diet. Its no longer a monster anymore. Unfortunatley with todays corporate atmosphere and bigger companies buying the smaller ones, the pure sports cars are no longger going to be as special , unique, or rare. ferrari is already pumping out record volume sales. They used to run a model for a period of 5-6 years and only made a handful of these rare beauties. Today they Fiat wants to stamp them out at higher number than ever before, and now this
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari hybrid supercar in development-1494364386_77e152032c_o.jpg  
Old 03-12-09, 01:51 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I couldn't agree more. A hybrid Ferrari..... That goes against the idea of a Ferrari. I want massive V12's with 600 hp that get....... oh wait I dont care what kind of gas mileage my car is getting I own a Ferrari, a car that costs as much as a house in many areas of the USA. The idea of a Ferrari owner being concerned with mpg is like saying millionaires count their pennies.
Actually, millionaires do count their pennies, which adds to the fact that they already clearly know how to handle their money (thus being millionaires of course). Just because they have the money, doesn't mean they want to spend it foolishly. There are numerous celebrities and non-celebrities that have tons of money to burn on gas, but choose not to. Instead, they are driving around in Priuses and other fuel efficient vehicles. The point is, there are other reasons for a millionaire to want to purchase a hybrid exotic, without exclusively being concerned with mpg.
Old 03-12-09, 08:22 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Personally, I don't think I could ever drive a Ferrari because they use so much fuel. @ 9 MPG, well even if you have the money I'm just not that selfish to pollute so much and use so much of a limited resource. I'd be more inclined to drive a Porsche, Corvette, Lambo which at least are a bit more efficient. And actually, I don't understand how your average Ferrari achieves 15 MPG Hwy where an AWD Lamborghini can get 20.

Quick Reply: Ferrari hybrid supercar in development