Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unsure wether to trade my 02 GS300 for MB C240

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 06:59 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsure wether to trade my 02 GS300 for MB C240

Well guys, I currently own a 2002 GS 300 with 118,000 miles, I love it alot! The size is perfect, the looks i get are nice as well as the comments, It is in pretty good condition but it is out of warranty, I need a new Exhause manifold according to the Lexus dealer, I have a buddy that can give me one for a good price and a very trusted tech that can install it for me for a good price, but i know more problems are going to come about, so I been looking for another car. I like the IS but the interior of the IS300 doesnt impress me, the IS 250 is nice but it still is a lil to expensive.

Well at two local dealerships, they have MB C-classes. I like wood trim, just like luxury looking interiors. One dealer has a 2005 C240 30,000 miles, Silver with black interior, asking $15,500. the other dealership had a slate grey one with beige interior, 2006 with 60,000 miles, asking $16,800. I of course like them both but hearing about the problems with the cars kinda scares me but they both are still under mercedes factory warranty. I understand that the size between the GS and the C are pretty different, but i can live with a compact sedan :-/

I would like the have the C230 that they have because i like the looks of the bumbers and wheels better but also unsure since those are supercharged and i wonder about the engine life.

What are yall guys opinion on the C240 and C230 MY 2005-2006
Old 03-11-09, 07:10 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the earlier C230s were 'kompressors' but the 05-07 ones were just straight 4 bangers. i think, but dont hold me to that. as for the reliability, the later year models are probably better, but they didnt start off well at all. plus, that MB was still designed in their 'lazy' period of cost cutting. so id still beware.
Old 03-11-09, 08:41 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I would rather keep the GS over the c230 even with 118k miles on it, unless it's really messed up and you're expecting major costly problems. I hear terrible things about the those model year C's, friend of mine bought a used 05 C55 with 30k miles and had to take it in 3x in the first 1.5 months.
Old 03-11-09, 09:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous generation C-class was a mediocre car with poor to fair reliability. That would be a poor trade and certainly not a trade-up. The old C-class is a very small car too.

The new C-class introduced as a model year 2008 is a bigger and far better car with average reliability so far (which is good compared to any Mercedes in the last 8 years or so) .
Old 03-11-09, 10:03 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Please keep your lexus. Our 2006 C-class is a real Piece of Junk. Looks great but reliability sux so bad that I cant wait to get rid of it.
Old 03-11-09, 10:17 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
Please keep your lexus. Our 2006 C-class is a real Piece of Junk. Looks great but reliability sux so bad that I cant wait to get rid of it.
yeah i do too love the looks of the C, but i was totally unaware that those model years were that bad, i appriciate yalls response, and i do very much trust them!

So sad that a car that nice IMO, inside and out was made so poorly.
Old 03-12-09, 06:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 03-12-09, 08:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would do the trade for a lower mileage C class. Your GS3 has 118k miles & may face some costly fixes & repairs as the miles increase. You are already faced with one costly fix right? Later down the road, other problems i.e. starter, cats, evap, which are 1k & up per fix may plague you so have the cash reserve on hand.. Granted, the GS is a nice car (I have one with 106k on the clock with 10 years of ownership) but it is not exactly the trouble free car as some paint it to be. No car is... If you like the C class then go for it!
Old 03-12-09, 08:59 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would do the trade for a lower mileage C class. Your GS3 has 118k miles & may face some costly fixes & repairs as the miles increase. You are already faced with one costly fix right? Later down the road, other problems i.e. starter, cats, evap, which are 1k & up per fix may plague you so have the cash reserve on hand.. Granted, the GS is a nice car (I have one with 106k on the clock with 10 years of ownership) but it is not exactly the trouble free car as some paint it to be. No car is... If you like the C class then go for it!
Yeah I need a new cat aT the moment,
Old 03-12-09, 09:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Yeah I need a new cat aT the moment,
Consider trading for a lower mileage Lexus. Since you are considering smaller sport sedans, a 2006 IS250 would be a much more reliable car versus the last generation C-class and very close in size/roominess.
Old 03-12-09, 09:45 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I saw a lexus is 250 6sp matador red w/ black interior 40k miles on your favorite auction site for 18,500 buy it now. I would go for that, i think it is still there
Old 03-12-09, 10:31 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Consider trading for a lower mileage Lexus. Since you are considering smaller sport sedans, a 2006 IS250 would be a much more reliable car versus the last generation C-class and very close in size/roominess.
Great suggestion...I'd take a IS250 over the last gen C Class.
Old 03-12-09, 10:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Great suggestion...I'd take a IS250 over the last gen C Class.
Thanks, I actually have actual ownership experience with previous (C240) and current generation C-classes (C300) and the current gen ISx50 cars (IS350).
Old 03-12-09, 10:56 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Hi,

I currently drive a 2008 Mercedes E230 (yes, E230) which has been very reliable and good to me. I'm a happy owner. It's a company car though and the company lease is about to expire in a few months giving me the option of singing up for a new vehicle or declining.

I'm thinking of buying a Citroen C5 sedan as my personal car.

I'm newly married and hope to have a family within a few years and hence, I feel I am making the right choice with the C5. It's just such an appealing vehicle on so many levels. And yes, I do know that Citroen products are not known for bulletproof reliability, but that is not stopping me from potentially getting this car. The comfort, style, interior and overall feel and value just won me over. There is just something about the Citroen C5 that can only be described as an "emotion". I am usually not a believer in "automotive-soul", but this car definitely had something that came really close to that claim that usually BMW-fanboys mention!

If I wanted reliability, I would consider the new Toyota Avensis which I examined a few weeks ago. But the exterior and interior design is unbearable, the cabin is not as spacious or comfortable as that of the C5. Overall, it just felt like a typical Toyota product. Well-made, reliable and great value, but that's about it. I have yet to testdrive one but given my general dislike for the exterior styling and other issues, I doubt I could purchase that car.

I guess my point is, follow your heart.
Old 03-12-09, 11:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Hi,

I currently drive a 2008 Mercedes E230 (yes, E230) which has been very reliable and good to me. I'm a happy owner. It's a company car though and the company lease is about to expire in a few months giving me the option of singing up for a new vehicle or declining.

I'm thinking of buying a Citroen C5 sedan as my personal car.

I'm newly married and hope to have a family within a few years and hence, I feel I am making the right choice with the C5. It's just such an appealing vehicle on so many levels. And yes, I do know that Citroen products are not known for bulletproof reliability, but that is not stopping me from potentially getting this car. The comfort, style, interior and overall feel and value just won me over. There is just something about the Citroen C5 that can only be described as an "emotion". I am usually not a believer in "automotive-soul", but this car definitely had something that came really close to that claim that usually BMW-fanboys mention!

If I wanted reliability, I would consider the new Toyota Avensis which I examined a few weeks ago. But the exterior and interior design is unbearable, the cabin is not as spacious or comfortable as that of the C5. Overall, it just felt like a typical Toyota product. Well-made, reliable and great value, but that's about it. I have yet to testdrive one but given my general dislike for the exterior styling and other issues, I doubt I could purchase that car.

I guess my point is, follow your heart.
what's an E230?

its a 2008 and the lease is up already?

Quick Reply: Unsure wether to trade my 02 GS300 for MB C240