Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me buy a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
One issue which may sway me away from Toyota, though, is (if I'm not mistaken) the inability to enter Nav data while the car is in motion. I will need to check, but I don't believe Mazda (or Honda) have this restriction. I can't stand that about my Lexus...
There's a reason why some manufacturers don't let you fiddle around with NAV systems while the car is moving........................

Old 03-14-09, 03:51 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's a reason why some manufacturers don't let you fiddle around with NAV systems while the car is moving........................

Yes, because of tort lawyers.........
Old 03-14-09, 07:44 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I will need to check, but I don't believe Mazda (or Honda) have this restriction. I can't stand that about my Lexus...
I say test drive the new Pilot and see for yourself...
Old 03-14-09, 10:13 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a car-like SUV, the Highlander and cx-9 are good choices. Toyota reliability and resale gives the nod to the Highlander

If you want a bigger SUV the Pilot would be a good choice.

Unless you are making it a company car (using pre-tax dollars) or getting a big incentive, I would buy used (let someone else take the depreciation hit)

Used Acura MDXs are great choices (2004-06 models)
Old 03-14-09, 11:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Wow, looks exactly like the result when people fiddle with their cell phones, fiddle with the kids in the back seat, fiddle with the radio, as they attempt to drive. The end result is just as ugly.
Old 03-14-09, 11:55 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off these four SUVs, I will buy the CX-9 without a second thought. I currently have the 1st gen Highlander, Pilot is way too UGLY, and Mercury MKX? Never heard of it... I test drove the CX-9, brilliantly built inside out, it's an easy call.
Old 03-15-09, 12:26 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by memasterac
Off these four SUVs, I will buy the CX-9 without a second thought. I currently have the 1st gen Highlander, Pilot is way too UGLY, and Mercury MKX? Never heard of it... I test drove the CX-9, brilliantly built inside out, it's an easy call.
That's what I thought about the Pilot when I first saw it, but after seeing the interior and the build quality, we couldn't refuse. Believe it or not, the new design is actually more aerodynamic than the previous generation. The VCM feature is great... 24mpg on hwy driving.
Old 03-15-09, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
The VCM feature is great... 24mpg on hwy driving.
when i test drove a pilot i hated the vcm feature - felt vibration in the drivetrain. maybe it's better now...

and 24 on highway running on 3 cylinders isn't that great. my explorer running on 8 cylinders gets 21 on hwy.

oh and just looked at your vehicle list there... nice - hope the slk55 doesn't collect too much dust - great car!!!
Old 03-15-09, 11:01 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by werewolf
If you want a car-like SUV, the Highlander and cx-9 are good choices. Toyota reliability and resale gives the nod to the Highlander

If you want a bigger SUV the Pilot would be a good choice.

Unless you are making it a company car (using pre-tax dollars) or getting a big incentive, I would buy used (let someone else take the depreciation hit)

Used Acura MDXs are great choices (2004-06 models)
Funny you should mention the used MDX. Love that car... Am now looking into 1-2 year old models because I will be buying and I will be using post-tax dollars .
Old 03-15-09, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Forget these ice creme trucks & get yourself an X5. It seats 7 passengers & is fun to drive to boot.
Old 03-15-09, 11:14 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by memasterac

You're in Cali so you can get the Grand Touring with 20s and keep them on year round . I did some reading on the Edmunds.com CX-9 forums and was a bit taken aback at how impotent the GT with Bridgestone Duelers on 20s was in the snowy stuff ("downright dangerous" were most replies).

If I went with the larger wheels, I would need to get a dedicated wheels/tire set for the winter months here in the Midwest. Not a big deal (I already do that with my 350), but a consideration nonetheless...
Old 03-15-09, 11:28 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Forget these ice creme trucks & get yourself an X5. It seats 7 passengers & is fun to drive to boot.
I agree these are great When its time for a bigger SUV for us this will be our next ride.

Out of all I drove this is the order out of what you are looking at:

1. Honda Pilot/Acura MDX
2. Toyota Highlander.

Over these I would look at the Audi SUV and the X5. The drive of these is much better but you are going to pay for it

for a smaller SUV we just got the RDX (ACURA) and we love it. It has great get up, MPG is pretty good, and the size is perfect for us. Drives/Handles more like a car does. I also chose this based on my buddy owning the Acura & Lexus dealer and we liked this over the RX. We didnt need a 3rd row seat like you do.

My mother just picked up the Highlander and she really enjoys it. She has owned just about every SUV and this one she seems to like the best. She keeps calling me saying that this is the first Toyota and she is so impressed with everything about it.
Old 03-15-09, 11:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Folks talk about build quality.. Hell, we all do. Take a look what lies beneath the CX9, Pilot, MDX, RX, Tahoe etc. & compare them to what you see here..
BMW X5 undercarriage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6sCmPb4bE
Old 03-15-09, 01:02 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I can only speak for the Toyota Highlander. I made my purchased back in Dec-Jan at Arlington Toyota, they definately was willing to working with me. Overall after going back and forth I ended up trading in my 2003 Solar IS300 77k miles for 12k. (which I think it awesome, at 1st they was only willing to give me 8k) I got my Highlander Sport for 31k. As far as features. All floor weather mats, AC unit for rear, JBL audio system, Power lift, back up camera, Rear roof spoiler, Tinted windows, Power Seats, Power windows, Power Sunroof, and plenty more. Over all I love the car except for 3rd row seating, I wish there was a split. And if I could I would have stepped it up to the Limited.

Edit: at the time there was also 0% APR I ended up doing 2,500 cash back since I paid for the car up front. GL
Old 03-15-09, 01:33 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
I agree these are great When its time for a bigger SUV for us this will be our next ride.

Out of all I drove this is the order out of what you are looking at:

1. Honda Pilot/Acura MDX
2. Toyota Highlander.

My mother just picked up the Highlander and she really enjoys it. She has owned just about every SUV and this one she seems to like the best. She keeps calling me saying that this is the first Toyota and she is so impressed with everything about it.
Well, when its highly praised by "mom", that definitely deserves points ...

Too bad about the third row bench not splitting, but I imagine the times you would need that "jump seat" up without the rest of the row would be few and far between...

Mazda uses the same "Nav-nanny" setup as Toyota/Lexus. So, for now, the only manufacturer allowing data entry on the fly with integrated nav is Honda/Acura. Will need to weigh the relative importance of these issues going forward.

Any of the Highlander owners/fans go for the HYBRID trim? How's the real world MPG and performance of the CVT??

Quick Reply: Help me buy a new SUV