Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me buy a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 11:57 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
You're not going to get one. It's always the same generalized fantasies with no basis whatsoever to stand upon.
This comes from what? Hit x5world and search oil separator failure

Keep it civil especially when you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 03-16-09, 12:02 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
DASH- not trying to be rude here but did you even read the parts I highlighted? He mentioned that within his extended family there is an MDX, Pilot and X5. The next line down he noted that HE is the owner of the X5. Did you miss that part?

I know the point you're trying to make with the "My mom's coworker's friend's son's baby sitter's baby daddy's momma's grocery clerk's vet has a BMW that blew up and cost him 10K to fix" but if the man says he owns the car then who are we to not believe him?
To be clear, I own an x5 and live in CA. The oil separator is an issue but not for me. That said, I use a number of BMW sites for DIY. Search bimmerfest, x5world and one will see the oil separator is a real issue. When it fails, it screws the engine.
Old 03-16-09, 12:03 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's the $10,000 invoice for electrical problems. You may want to talk about oil separators, which I never alluded to. On the other hand I'm still waiting for that non-existant invoice
Old 03-16-09, 12:06 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Where's the $10,000 invoice for electrical problems. You may want to talk about oil separators, which I never alluded to. On the other hand I'm still waiting for that non-existant invoice
Late to the party,

10k is for engine failure due to oil starvation (oil separator)
electrical issues range from Cam angle sensors ($300), MAF, blown final stage transistors ($1k), aux electrical fan repairs (800-1k), window regulators
Old 03-16-09, 12:07 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Go re-read the original posts and do some research
Old 03-16-09, 12:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In Consumer Reports Used Car Ratings the X5 is rated pretty high for Engine Major, Engine Minor, Engine Cooling, Trans major, Trans Minor and Drive System. This is for model years '03-'08.
Old 03-16-09, 12:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
This comes from what? Hit x5world and search oil separator failure

Keep it civil especially when you don't know what you're talking about.
It is civil as it can be buddy.. Where is the info on your X5?
Old 03-16-09, 12:43 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Bash the Pilot all you want, but it serves its purpose. Does the CX-9 and Highlander employ real wood? The Pilot makes very good sense for certain people considering its features that the competition doesn't have. My wife and I needed a safe spot to have our son's car seat installed. What's w/ the removable middle seat in the 2nd row of the Highlander? The Pilot offered the best room and convenience. Please don't mention any European cars on here. My wife's SLK has had more problems than you can imagine and still exploring the lemon law route for it. With this experience, German cars are nothing but junk. Besides being overpriced, they may look the best in exterior and interior styling than any other maker in the market. When it comes to ownership satisfaction, styling has no purpose if the car can't be driven without any problems.
Old 03-16-09, 12:49 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Does't seem like the OP agees with that assesement after looking at the european cars he has and does own.

And fake wood in the Pilot.
Old 03-16-09, 12:51 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by werewolf
Go re-read the original posts and do some research
I owe you and apology, sir.
Old 03-16-09, 01:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Funny, I know and have spoken to a very large number of people with Accords, Oddyssey's, CL/TL pre 04 when they were supposed to have these bad trannies and I never heard of anyone with these failing tranny issues, still Honda did the right thing and extended the warranty to 100K for free replacement. My parents had/have a 99TL and 03CL and there is/was not a hint of anything wrong with the transmission. The TL had over 100K miles before it was sold with no problems and the CL has 70K with no problems. The strangest thing is while the vast majority of Hondas/Acuras with that transmission never have any kind of transmission issues the ones that say they do that I read about on the internet say they go through numerous transmissions one right after another which leads me to believe the mechanics that installed those transmissions are either doing it wrong or are just putting bad transmissions back in, some have said it was a certain batch of transmission that are defective and not the design itself. Even if a couple hundred or a few thousand transmissions are defective it will seem like alot if you read about all those cases on the internet but in reality it does not even make up 1% of those cars sold. The design of the transmission is not defective, I have driven several of these cars with well over 60-120K miles on them and have floored it and have been pretty rough on them without any kind of hint of slipping.
My Accord had the tranny issue and it was a pain. After having it towed to the dealer, they installed it wrong and the next day the car wasn't going anywhere. According to the report they gave us when it went back, they forgot to put transmission fluid in it I didn't drive it back the first time so I can't say for sure.
Old 03-16-09, 01:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In Consumer Reports Used Car Ratings the X5 is rated pretty high for Engine Major, Engine Minor, Engine Cooling, Trans major, Trans Minor and Drive System. This is for model years '03-'08.
I don't have my CR guide in front of me, but how about the Pilot (tranny)?
Old 03-16-09, 01:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I don't have my CR guide in front of me, but how about the Pilot (tranny)?
The trans in the Pilot is rated very high for '03 thru '08. Both Major and Minor are "Much Better Than Average".
Old 03-16-09, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by malmon
The only thing I would agree with your post is ROAD NOISE is significant in Honda vehicles. The Pilot is well-designed, but not well-built.
yes i test drove a pilot (last gen) when i was looking for an suv. the road noise was TOTALLY unacceptable to me, as was the obvious drivetrain vibration when 3 of the cylinders were turned off.

the v8 explorer i ended up getting is VERY quiet, although the ride is stiffer than i would like overall. but still, it's been a great vehicle thus far (3 years).
Old 03-16-09, 01:37 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely appreciate all of the input so far. I read (skim) CR, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track, Automobile, etc., so I have a pretty good take on the kudos for technology, refinement and popularity these various models garner from the Mass Media's perspective. The nice thing about a forum of enthusiasts, however, is reading about their personal biases and experiences--I find this stuff highly valuable...

I won't completely ignore the "newly redesigned" Pilot just because it looks ugly (IMO) and the interior is "truckish" (again, IMO). But, if there are other options out there which, on average, will deliver sport/utility/refinement/value in an attractive package, then I'll certainly consider them first.

If I buy new, I will likely decide between the Highlander and CX-9. If I go used, I will probably look for a deal on an 07-08 MDX (I'm a big fan of the newer MDX's styiling--in/out--and I'm very impressed with the Honda/Acura NAV system).

Quick Reply: Help me buy a new SUV