Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me buy a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 04:05 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me buy a new SUV

I'm in the market for a midsize SUV with third row seating. I've narrowed it down to the following: Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Mercury MKX.

The Mercury was an "add-on" to my list because the local Lincoln dealer is offering some pretty sick discounts.

A few questions:
1) Of the four, any opinions or favorites?

2) Has anyone bought recently? How desperate are the dealerships and how willing are they to work up from a "lowball" offer? I can't imagine paying much over invoice days... This is probably affected by region--I'm in the Midwest.

3) How do you guys handle "trade ins"? Trade in value can always be adjusted down once you settle on a sale price for the car, so how do you "uncouple" the two transactions?

4) Any pearls on trying to get the "best" deal? Just show up with your offer on a piece of paper and say "take it or leave it"? I'll admit, I'm not a haggler by nature...

5) Has anyone bought from a place like CarMax? How was that experience?

Thanks for any/all advice...
Old 03-12-09, 04:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You're in Illinois, so I'd look at the new Toyota prices at the CarMax in Kenosha, and use that as your negotiation starting point with any local Toyota dealers. You can see these online. Also, getting a buy bid on your trade in at a local CarMax only takes a few minutes. You can use this as a good baseline for what kind of value you might try to get for your trade in at other dealers. Who knows, in the end, if you go with a Toyota, CarMax could be the best bet for both your trade and new car purchase.

I don't believe the Lincoln MKX has 3rd row seating...
Old 03-12-09, 04:51 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on.....up grade yourself to a Porsche Cayanne........that car is very very nice....haha
Old 03-12-09, 05:43 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Honda pilot has a very useful space. newer model even got bigger. gas comsumption is not too bad for the vehicle with pretty ample power. it was listed as the top choice in the car n driver for many years in a row. we have 2007, but got it $500 below the invoice in 2006. just some info..
Old 03-12-09, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Highlander/Pilot will probably have a long-term reliability advantage over the CX-9 and MKX (the MKX is sold under the Lincoln nameplate, not Mercury).

The Highlander has a typically Toyota refined engine and transmission. It also has a hybrid option if you want to spend more up front, but get potentially better mileage, tax credits, and, in some areas, HOV priviledges. The Pilot will probably steer and handle somewhat better, and has, IMO, better fit/finish and quality of materials, though its interior, IMO, is not quite as plush-looking as the top-level Highlander Limited.

The CX-9 has a typically semi-sporty Mazda chassis for handling, and the interior, especially the Grand Touring version, is the plushest I've ever seen on a Mazda vehicle, but its reliability record, according to Consumer Reports, is well below that of both the Highlander/Pilot, and I find its front-end styling (like the smaller CX-7) to be a little too sharp and raked-back for my tastes, although styling, of course, is an individual taste....you might like it.

I have not reviewed or test-driven an MKX myself, but Consumer Reports, despite the MKX being marginally on its recommended list, was not very impressed with it, whether interior, drivetrain, or road manners. Its repair record is generally average. The MKX might be a good buy in the marketplace, however, because Lincoln dealerships are probably more likely to deal on it than Honda and Toyota shops on the Highlander and Pilot. Hondas and Toyotas have a history of strong sales without incentives.

I would also consider the Lexus RX350. It lists for roughly the same as an MKX, and, IMO, is one of the best SUVs on the market for daily driving, if you're not going off-road. I recently reviewed the new 2010 RX350, and was VERY impressed with its ultra-smooth, quiet, refined powertrain and noise isolation. It also has a unique, mouse-operated NAV/computer system. The RX, however, will probably not have the same sales incentives the MKX is likely to get.
Old 03-12-09, 06:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the MKX (and RX) offer 3rd row back seats. That being the case the Highlander and Pilot would be the good choices for those that require the extra seating.
Old 03-12-09, 07:41 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

You guys are right--the MKX does NOT have the third row. I considered it on the recommendation of a colleague, but had yet to visit the dealership. That effectively removes it from my short list... Same fate for the RX350 (too bad, I'm a Lexus fan )

I've driven the Pilot and the CX-9. I have yet to drive the Highlander. The fit and finish of the Honda seems slightly better than the Mazda's. Both drove well, but I liked the responsiveness of the CX-9 a bit more. Perhaps it was because I test drove the Grand Touring trim with 20 inch wheels (!!). I didn't find the ride to be intrusively stiff. The Pilot is definitely a nice SUV. I wish I was a bigger fan of the external styling (too boxy for my taste). Optioned out, I think the Honda comes in a couple grand more than the Mazda.

I will visit the local Toyota dealership next week to drive the Highlander. I will also take the posted advice to get price quotes from CarMax.

Thanks all. Keep any tips coming .
Old 03-13-09, 01:04 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I can vouch for the '09 Pilot. We got ours at $400 over invoice w/ the 60month 3.9% financing back in December. The vehicle is fully loaded w/ the exception of external accessories (i.e. running boards, roof cross bars, etc). I must admit, I like driving this much better than the GS because it has more gadgets and obviously more space. Plus the added safety benefit of placing my kid's Recaro seat in the middle section of the 2nd row and still have access to the 3rd row. If you go for the Pilot, get the touring 4WD with DVD. Also, don't mention any trade-ins until you've negotiated firmly on the final price.

FYI... we also checked out the Highlander and the CX-9 before settling for the Pilot.
Old 03-13-09, 05:23 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I'm in the market for a midsize SUV with third row seating. I've narrowed it down to the following: Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Mercury MKX.

The Mercury was an "add-on" to my list because the local Lincoln dealer is offering some pretty sick discounts.

A few questions:
1) Of the four, any opinions or favorites?

2) Has anyone bought recently? How desperate are the dealerships and how willing are they to work up from a "lowball" offer? I can't imagine paying much over invoice days... This is probably affected by region--I'm in the Midwest.

3) How do you guys handle "trade ins"? Trade in value can always be adjusted down once you settle on a sale price for the car, so how do you "uncouple" the two transactions?

4) Any pearls on trying to get the "best" deal? Just show up with your offer on a piece of paper and say "take it or leave it"? I'll admit, I'm not a haggler by nature...

5) Has anyone bought from a place like CarMax? How was that experience?

Thanks for any/all advice...

Consider a 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe... #1 ranked large SUV 4 years running... I've driven the others, mileage is a little less but TONS of room, 3-row, HEATED rears, NAV, DVD, the works and will tow a house.

Closed the deal yesterday, LT2 Z71 package LOADED $50,038 w/ 5yr/75K extended warranty OUT THE DOOR!!! Other than a little less chrome it's an Escalalde for all intents and purposes

Chevy making HUGE deals for March... my Corvette Z06 deal I got is INSANE!!!

I'm going American, I DO want to help those guys and the quality HAS improved remarkably.. I would have NEVER said that 5 months ago... lots of research, service center discussions, and test drives changed my mind!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 03-13-09 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 07:53 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I can only speak for the 03 Pilot, but that was the most reliable car I have ever owned. The only thing that was replaced was some cooler that was a design fault (03 was the very first model year) under warranty and the driver side door inside door handle (chrome rubbed off on one part). I sold it Nov for far below what it was worth, but it seems to have a very low resale value. It still had warranty until Nov 09, so I am kicking myself for getting rid of it (no parking or insurance discount for a 2nd car, so it would have keep costly to keep)
Old 03-13-09, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

check out a ford flex too. styling may not be your thing but it sure rides nice and has TONS of room inside. and the 'sync' audio system is really neat.
Old 03-14-09, 01:45 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

how about Tribeca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weE1k9IjXm0

Last edited by MGS4; 03-14-09 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-14-09, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS4
how about Tribeca
The Tribeca has the great Subaru mechanicals and AWD system, but, IMO, lacks some interior quality compared to the Outback. Its dash, in particular, looks swoopy, but has some cheap materials, particularly for the *****. The second-generation's grille is not as awkward-looking as the first's, but many still do not considered it a handsome vehicle.
Old 03-14-09, 11:15 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My choice would be in this order:

1. Toyota Highlander
2. Mazda CX-9
3. Honda Pilot
4. Mercury MKX
Old 03-14-09, 01:41 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
My choice would be in this order:

1. Toyota Highlander
2. Mazda CX-9
3. Honda Pilot
4. Mercury MKX

So far, those are my top two choices as well. Any specific reason why the Toyota over the Mazda?

I'll admit, I should likely be paying greater lip service to the Pilot based on reviews and Honda's reputation, but I am having problems getting any visceral enjoyment from the 09 redesign (both in and out). We briefly owned an 04 Pilot (great truck, problem free--sold it to my wife's brother who was in a pinch) which I liked better than the newly designed model.

Anyway, I guess it will likely come down to the Toyota or the Mazda. I like the styling of the Mazda better (especially with Grand Touring Pkg and 20s ) and the interior is nicely put together. Toyota craftmanship and reliability speak for themselves and my experience with Toyota has been good (have a Lexus now, owned a RAV4 in 2000). One issue which may sway me away from Toyota, though, is (if I'm not mistaken) the inability to enter Nav data while the car is in motion. I will need to check, but I don't believe Mazda (or Honda) have this restriction. I can't stand that about my Lexus...

Quick Reply: Help me buy a new SUV