Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Create a Lexus IS that would drive BMW out of business

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09 | 11:24 PM
The Tark
Driver School Candidate

Default Create a Lexus IS that would drive BMW out of business

In this thread create your own dream car/ultimate IS that would literally put BMW out of business. Of course, something like this could never happen, especially due to BMW's ownership of Mini and Rolls-Royce and also their bike business... and because it's just one car. But if Lexus could put BMW business, especially with one car alone, what would this car (IS) require in terms of:

1. Performance and handling (What engines and other tech and engineering would it have to have?)

2. Standard features and options (list each for both categories)

3. Interior materials and interior quality

*2 things*

1. I repeat: This car MUST literally put BMW out of business.

2. Everything must be cost-effective and Lexus MUST make a good-sized profit per car sold.

REMEMBER: This is only a design/engineering exercise.
Old 03-13-09 | 12:30 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

haha, you can leave it like it is now and I would buy one instead of a BMW lol
Old 03-13-09 | 05:40 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

LOL at this thread. Why buy a copy when you can have the original?? Is something wrong with the current IS?
Old 03-13-09 | 05:51 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I won't even bother because creating that special IS is not as easy as it sounds.

The BMW 3 series is a very powerful symbol in this niche. By default it is the automatic choice for enthusiasts because the car is so well balanced. It has other attributes which make it appealing to a mo audience.

The Lexus IS, while a great car, is relatively new and unknown outside of the US. On a global scale the 3er is perceived as both a luxury and a sporting sedan and it has the brand image of BMW and its own reputation backing it. Remember, the 3er started out as a small sports sedan in the late 1960s or early 1970s and has garnered quite a following or even symbol as a cult car. Facing this, it will be difficult for Lexus to make the IS appear special and appealing, especially considering the fact that Lexus does have a reputation for making somewhat stale cars that lack "character". Value and reliability are good attributed, but for someone who likes to "drive" those aspects might not always be the deciding factor.

I think the Lexus IS, especially the IS350, has a lot of potential but if Lexus wants to attract the enthusiast crowd they need to decide to transform the IS into a dedicated sports sedan or luxury sedan, because right now I personally feel the IS is sort off in the middle between these two ideals leaning more towards the sporty side, but still not quite there.

One thing is for certain: the IS350 needs a manual transmission if it wants to play serious ball with the 3er and G37. A manual attracts enthusiasts of a different caliber. Yes, there are enthusiasts who don't mind or even prefer an automatic transmission, but the guys and girls out there preferring to do their own shifting may not give the IS a second glance, even if everything about that car is perfect for them.

By the way, there will always be customers going to a 3er, IS, A4, C class etc. Brand / vehicle model loyalty is a strong attribute.
Old 03-13-09 | 05:58 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The Tark
In this thread create your own dream car/ultimate IS that would literally put BMW out of business. Of course, something like this could never happen, especially due to BMW's ownership of Mini and Rolls-Royce and also their bike business... and because it's just one car. But if Lexus could put BMW business, especially with one car alone, what would this car (IS) require in terms of:

1. Performance and handling (What engines and other tech and engineering would it have to have?)

2. Standard features and options (list each for both categories)

3. Interior materials and interior quality

*2 things*

1. I repeat: This car MUST literally put BMW out of business.

2. Everything must be cost-effective and Lexus MUST make a good-sized profit per car sold.

REMEMBER: This is only a design/engineering exercise.
ok, i'll play.

1. for performance/power to compete with a 335i, and keep profiitability, all toyota has to do is bring back the 2JZGTE engine. it's already been designed and used for years, so there's no money spent on r&D except making it current emissions friendly. the inherent smoothness of the I6 makes it automatically competitive with bmw's I6. tune it to about 400 hp, add a 6 speed manual trans.
limited slip rear.
adjustable coilover suspension and adjustable sway bars.
19" wheels with sticky rubber.
Big brakes.

INterior quality and materials? i dont' really think they have to change much at all.
add a race package with recaro or other brand seats. maybe some carbon fiber options.
with the money ssaved by not having to design and build a new engine, they can price it below the 335i and still turn a profit.
Old 03-13-09 | 06:30 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

For a starting point;

1) Drop at least 500 lbs from current IS-F
2) Manual or dual clutch gearbox, or at least option of getting those
3) LSD
4) And while doing that, keep the price on par with M3 and now you have something to talk about.
Old 03-13-09 | 06:32 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Interior and exterior styling should stay just how it is. I think all you would need is a stiffer suspension and a motor you could actually tune and do work on...maybe twin turbs from the factory
Old 03-13-09 | 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
For a starting point;

1) Drop at least 500 lbs from current IS-F
2) Manual or dual clutch gearbox, or at least option of getting those
3) LSD
4) And while doing that, keep the price on par with M3 and now you have something to talk about.
1) M3 doesn't weigh 500 lbs less than IS-F
2) the 8spd shifts just as fast as DSG wouldnt offer anything new, manual option is fair enough
3) fair enough
4) it already is cheaper than the M3 for similar options
Old 03-13-09 | 07:49 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Well to put BMW out of business, Lexus/Toyota will have to convert the current BMW buyers into Lexus/Toyota buyers. I'm telling you what's holding one current BMW driver - me - from buying IS-F. And I suspect that those reasons are pretty common ones among current BMW owners. In fact I know they are common.

As for current M3 not weighing 500 lbs less than IS-F, I know it doesn't. But E9x M3 is too porky also. And if Lexus just barely matched M3, you are not gonna drive BMW out of business.

As for the slushbox vs DSG or manual, it is as if Lexus has some kind of a mental block as a whole organization about manual gearbox. I didn't say all IS-F should be manual gearbox but you gotta give me option of getting one, at least. You will never drive BMW out of business as long as Lexus only offer slushboxes. There are people - in fact lots of them and alot of BMW drivers - who won't drive nothing but a manual gearbox - not even SMG/DSG.

As for price, again if M3 and IS-F were even and prices were same, you re not gonna drive BMW out of business. It would be 50-50. And M3 with racing cache probably 60-40, so if Lexus wants to blow BMW of out of the water, they gotta put out something either as good a car for way cheaper price, much better car at same price, or most unlikely way better car at way cheaper price.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
1) M3 doesn't weigh 500 lbs less than IS-F
2) the 8spd shifts just as fast as DSG wouldnt offer anything new, manual option is fair enough
3) fair enough
4) it already is cheaper than the M3 for similar options
Old 03-13-09 | 07:51 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

why bother?

problem solved:
Old 03-13-09 | 07:53 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

1st post spam on every lexus board: http://my.is/forums/f87/create-lexus...siness-383949/
Old 03-13-09 | 08:04 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
1st post spam on every lexus board: http://my.is/forums/f87/create-lexus...siness-383949/

how is this spam? there are no spam links...

and lexus HQ could easily ask the same question from its customers..
Old 03-13-09 | 08:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Please let me know (by replying here in this thread) what your purpose is in making this post. Thanks
Old 03-13-09 | 10:13 AM
The Tark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I'm not trying to spam. People still don't see Lexus as BMW-level/higher for some reason. I'm just looking to reach as many fellow Lexus fans as possible regarding this.