Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan raises GTR prices again

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 09:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
I really don't understand your point.
But anyway, its the market that ultimately decides whats worth what. Not a company, nor an individual.
Uh ok.. I take it you are one of the lucky ones who purchased the GTR above m.s.r.p.?

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 03-17-09 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 10:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

I'll take a "sucker born everyday" for $20k Alex.. Start with msrp and work down from there & not up ladies & gents.
Gotta agree with DASHOCKER, paying over msrp is beyond poor financial judgment and you just play into dealerships being able to rip customers off. You really should not be paying anywhere near msrp for your car let alone a markup and should always negotiate to pay lower, paying more is silly and what is worse is justifying your bad decision by saying oh but its worth it, other people are doing it, that is what the market calls for, please that is BS. Not only are you wasting your money you are giving an incentive for dealers to rip other people off and then just say hey other people are overpaying so why not. If the car has a markup then there is nothing wrong with just saying I refuse to overpay for the car and walk away and complain to the manufacture that you will not stand for that kind of shady business, if everyone did this then there would be no markups and an incentive to rip people off.

Nissan dealerships were notorious for highly marking up the 240Z when it first came out and many customers who were going to buy it were turned off and complained to Nissan and their sales started to dip and the car started to get bad press, Nissan had to quickly try to remedy the issue and threatened the dealers and it helped a little but some even thought Nissan was in on it too. The customers always lose out to these dirty business practices. I still would much rather be able to buy cars directly from the automobile manufacture and save the hassle of negotiating and playing games and save the extra money that goes to the separate dealership trying to make a bunch of money on the car and eliminate markups.

I remember looking at the new E46 M3 and the dealership had giant markups on them. Everyone was complaining to the dealers and can't believe they are still doing that and said they wanted to buy it but now will not. One guy looking at that aqua blue one (which the dealer said was extremely rare and has some kind of extremely expensive paintjob BS) was still going to pay the insane markup(I think it was around 10K-15K) and the other people were shaking their heads and complaining to the guy why he would waste so much of his money and encourage the dealer to do this and were calling the guy stupid and a moron but he did not seem to care he was getting totally ripped off and wasting so much money. It was a pretty funny and pathetic scene.

This whole gotta have it right now, gotta have it first, can't wait, it is worth the markup, the market calls for it being overpriced, everybody else is overpaying so why not, you gotta pay to play attitude, media/magazines hype it so it is worth it and I gotta get it no matter what the price, is exactly what has got us in this financial mess we are in today. Walking away from the car with the markup and saving the thousands of dollars is just the smartest thing to do especially in these times.

I give Nissan a thumbs down for jacking up the price as the price is one of the biggest selling points/praises of the GTR and how it is a great car for a good price. Nissan just figuring demand is high and dealers mark it up anyway so lets also participate and jack up the price is what will make the car get bad press and people starting to get turned off of the GTR. It will start making the GTR seem just like a overpriced Nissan which people will focus on instead of how great the car is. It is already happening just by looking at the comments and could result in the GTR being a very short lived success.
Old 03-17-09, 11:08 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow great post. I agree 10000%
Old 03-17-09, 01:28 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
I really don't understand your point.
But anyway, its the market that ultimately decides whats worth what. Not a company, nor an individual.
I agree. Let the market decide if the GT-R is worth the new asking price. I can't fault a company for trying to maximize profits even if that puts their products out of my reach.

I've never been one to pay in excess of the sticker price just to be the first kid on the block with the latest and greatest, but to some it is worth it. Let's face it, very few cars are a good investment. They are going to depreciate with time and use so it really just comes down to what it is worth to the consumer to have one.
Old 03-17-09, 01:33 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Wow great post. I agree 10000%
+1, very well said indeed.
Old 03-17-09, 01:34 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
This whole gotta have it right now, gotta have it first, can't wait, it is worth the markup, the market calls for it being overpriced, everybody else is overpaying so why not, you gotta pay to play attitude, media/magazines hype it so it is worth it and I gotta get it no matter what the price, is exactly what has got us in this financial mess we are in today. Walking away from the car with the markup and saving the thousands of dollars is just the smartest thing to do especially in these times.
I don't completely agree. What got us into this mess is people over spending and companies enabling them to do so. If you can't afford a GT-R you shouldn't buy one, and their shouldn't be financial institutions offering creative ways to make you think you can afford one.
Old 03-17-09, 01:56 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I don't completely agree. What got us into this mess is people over spending and companies enabling them to do so. If you can't afford a GT-R you shouldn't buy one, and their shouldn't be financial institutions offering creative ways to make you think you can afford one.
Buying a GTR at msrp doesn't make you poor or say you can't afford the car. WTF!!! Your statement is crazy.
Old 03-17-09, 02:00 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

LMao economy is ****, jobs are hard to find, but yet you got idiots paying close to 100k for a nissan. You might as well take the plunge and buy a 250k lambo.
Old 03-17-09, 03:45 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Buying a GTR at msrp doesn't make you poor or say you can't afford the car. WTF!!! Your statement is crazy.
What part of the word "if" do you not comprehend?
Old 03-17-09, 10:04 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
Gotta agree with DASHOCKER, paying over msrp is beyond poor financial judgment and you just play into dealerships being able to rip customers off. You really should not be paying anywhere near msrp for your car let alone a markup and should always negotiate to pay lower, paying more is silly and what is worse is justifying your bad decision by saying oh but its worth it, other people are doing it, that is what the market calls for, please that is BS. Not only are you wasting your money you are giving an incentive for dealers to rip other people off and then just say hey other people are overpaying so why not. If the car has a markup then there is nothing wrong with just saying I refuse to overpay for the car and walk away and complain to the manufacture that you will not stand for that kind of shady business, if everyone did this then there would be no markups and an incentive to rip people off.

You are completely talking out of your a$$.
How do you know what kind of individual GTR buyers are? let alone how I made my decision. For all you know I might have waited years to buy such car, I might have even refused to buy a 911 turbo for 125G because I thought it just wasn't worth it. Did you look into the GTR availability? When I ordered my car, the dealers who were selling the cars at MSRP had a waiting line until 2011.
Your post is full of so many assumptions and ideological remarks that its hard not to tell someone to just shut up when they talk like that. I mean you think all GTR buyers bought into the hype? Ugh
Old 03-17-09, 10:07 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by japspec
LMao economy is ****, jobs are hard to find, but yet you got idiots paying close to 100k for a nissan. You might as well take the plunge and buy a 250k lambo.
Well maybe these idiots 100K is not as big of an expense because they are accomplished individuals; moreover, maybe to these idiots it does not matter who the manufacturer is, but they are more concerned with what the car has to offer, ever think of that?
Old 03-18-09, 09:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the GTR is not a very attractive car, despite it's killer performance.

I saw another one on the freeway going to work today, with a vanity plate "WAIT OVER", hopefully they did not pay through the nose after a long wait.