Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I too am located in the Silicon Valley (Los Gatos) and I see SC430s all over the place. Despite their dislike from the automotive community, I see them driven by tons of different people, from 80 year women to 16 year old high schoolers. Their luxury and hard top convertible seems to have cone over smoothly.
Agreed.....the folding hard-top, combining good all-weather security with open-top fun, was no doubt a good SC430 selling point, as relatively few vehicles had them back when the second-generation SC was introduced. But that is not the case now....today, you see even some lower-priced cars like the Mazda Miata and Pontiac G6 with them, with more to follow.
Old 03-17-09, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Genesis Coupe (the thread topic)....does anyone on CL actually own one? (I have reviewed one, a top-line 3.8 track model, and posted my findings)

Let's hear from any of you that actually OWN this car..........what your comments are.
Old 03-17-09, 10:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I have to beg to differ. I too am located in the Silicon Valley (Los Gatos) and I see SC430s all over the place. Despite their dislike from the automotive community, I see them driven by tons of different people, from 80 year women to 16 year old high schoolers. Their luxury and hard top convertible seems to have cone over smoothly.
No doubt the practicality of the hardtop 'vert. Too bad it had to be so ugly in the case of the SC. I often see SC430's at the supermarket and sometimes at the country club 1/2 mile from my house. But the other convertibles mentioned far outnumber the SC in the neighborhoods where premium 'verts are popular.

But back on topic, the Genesis coupe is really going after a more popular price point and making quite a splash.
Old 03-18-09, 01:09 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw / sat in one on a dealer lot (no test-drives). It was a red v8 with 3k sticker markup.

It is a sharp car. I was very impressed with the interior as well as the lines. If you debadged it, I would think Lexus or Infiniti.

The only thing off was the headlight look/shape. It just doesn't look quite right.
Old 03-18-09, 06:49 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sat in one at the auto show and it is a very nice car. I am not surprised at it's early success. I would still debadge it though....that Hyundai symbol just has to go. My buddy was with me. First time he saw the Genesis coupe. His response was, isn't that the G35 you had?

The Genesis was not far from where the 370Z sat. The Z starts at 30K but not many would buy one at that price. As nice as the Genesis looked, the Z still looked better imo.
Old 03-18-09, 08:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Genesis Coupe is what the G37 shouldve been

grats to Hyundai
Old 03-18-09, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

Yes and no. The Genesis, at least in the top-end 3.8 track model, has a better chassis. The G37 Coupe has a noticeably better, though somewhat cramped, interior.
Old 03-18-09, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
I would still debadge it though....that Hyundai symbol just has to go.
Why? Why disguise the fact that this is a Hyundai product, and a darn good one? If I were the Hyundai CEO, I'd be proud of this vehicle.

Note the license plate frame:

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-18-09 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 10:06 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

smoking?

define smoking.... you mean what the CEO is smoking?

it's such a relative term, with no hard figures.

If i were selling something, I'd say sales are "smoking" too. Because if i didn't, people would wonder....... and would not buy.

If you make people believe something is selling well, more people will buy it.

The only way you know if a car is smokin is if every car on a lot is sold already, waiting for buyers to come and pick them up
Old 03-18-09, 11:00 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So at what point does it get to be good to say you drive a Hyundai? Or better question; Are the Genesis cars effectively changing people's perception of the Hyundai brand?
Old 03-18-09, 11:21 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
+1, totally agreed.

I said this before but I wanted the Hyundai badge twice as big so people from a mile ahead can see the Hyundai badge from their review view mirrors. Seriously, Hyundai should've gone with the hyundai badge grille and not the waterfall design on the Genesis Sedan. Can we do a special order on the Hyundai badge? Make them twice as big?

SMOKIN HOT!!!

I LOVE THE 2x badge. it makes the car 10x sexier!

Old 03-18-09, 12:01 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Yes, it has started now. From the time Genesis cars hit the street here in the states. People are now start getting the perception of Hyundai being a well-known quality brand, above Toyota but below Lexus.

How can you tell? It would be interesting to do a survey in a few months to truly gauge people's perception of Hyundai.
Old 03-18-09, 12:14 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

grats to Hyundai
The G37 is luxury coupe, the Gen Coupe is not. But if you're referring to exterior styling, I somewhat agree. The G37 needs a more aggressive looking exterior.

I was disappointed to see that Nissan softened up the G37 when it was debuted.

Still a great looking car though. If only it would have looked like the concept, it would have been perfect.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. The Genesis, at least in the top-end 3.8 track model, has a better chassis. The G37 Coupe has a noticeably better, though somewhat cramped, interior.
Just out of curiosity, have you tracked both cars? I don't see how anyone could make that assumption without taking these cars to the road course/circuit track/ AutoX. Or at least some spirited driving around some local canyon roads.

And in the comparos, I don't think I have heard anyone state this.

The FM platform is a proven track worthy platform. But I'm sure the Gen Coupe has a great platform and chassis itself. Hyundai definitely did its homework.

I'm going to have to test one out to make my own final conclusion.
Old 03-18-09, 12:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Yes, it has started now. From the time Genesis cars hit the street here in the states. People are now start getting the perception of Hyundai being a well-known quality brand, above Toyota but below Lexus.

Hyundai is building an enormous amount of goodwill by making better cars and by having that return policy.
Old 03-18-09, 12:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

saw 2 red coupes sitting at a Hyundai dealer this morning, I have to admit they are sexy looking...and I hate red cars...(except for Ferrari).

Quick Reply: Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader