Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 03:12 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
So at what point does it get to be good to say you drive a Hyundai? Or better question; Are the Genesis cars effectively changing people's perception of the Hyundai brand?
I knew Hyundai was building better cars but it's not until the Genesis Sedan and now coupe that I've really started to pay attention. I would really like to see the potential of the 2.0T with BPU then APU upgrades.
Old 03-18-09, 03:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's only a matter of time before hyundai overtakes toyota.
but it still has a long long way to go.

look at samsung. they've pretty much caught up or surpassed sony in many departments.
Old 03-18-09, 04:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Lipstick on a pig IMO....... It's a weedeater with a turbo strapped to cheap plastic for thirty thousand bucks.

They should have called it "The Palin".
Old 03-18-09, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I checked out the red GeneCoupe at my local hyundai dealer recently but I wasn't overly impressed. Silver or black will look really good. The red is kind of ghey. This car also needs a drop.
Why does it need a drop? That doesn't make sense to me. It already sits low enough, and has a firm, responsive enough chassis, that the handling and steering response is already superb. Too much of a good thing will only make the ride unduly stiff (it is fairly stiff now), and mess up the undercarriage going over humps, bumps, etc..... It could (?) also nullify parts of Hyundai's superb warranty.
Old 03-18-09, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Lipstick on a pig IMO....... It's a weedeater with a turbo strapped to cheap plastic for thirty thousand bucks.
The 3.8 is a non-turbo......and is anything BUT a pig. It is a refined, torquey powerplant with excellent response at low RPMs......something that a lot of other V6's don't have.

The interior? Yes, it could be improved some, particularly in trim and door-panel layout, but, even so, I have seen far worse.
Old 03-18-09, 07:39 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm predicting a huge hit, about 2000 gen coupe a month when we start seeing enough 4 bangers in the lot. right now, 4banger turbos are nowhere to be found. my local dealer still have only 1 v6 touring in the showroom. still haven't test drive one. i'm so sick of waiting.
Old 03-18-09, 09:31 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The base model 2.0T starts at 22K. I can see these cars with BPU mods hurting a lot of egos.
Old 03-18-09, 09:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

loaded accord coupe, altima coupe, solara coupe = all over 30k

and dude, stop hating and just go drive one before you make a stupid hatorade comment. i don't know what you drive, but i hate stuck up hater like you.
Old 03-18-09, 11:11 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why does it need a drop? That doesn't make sense to me. It already sits low enough, and has a firm, responsive enough chassis, that the handling and steering response is already superb. Too much of a good thing will only make the ride unduly stiff (it is fairly stiff now), and mess up the undercarriage going over humps, bumps, etc..... It could (?) also nullify parts of Hyundai's superb warranty.
I'm not speaking for the other guy, but almost every sports coupe/car in the market looks great with a drop. If you have seen those pictures of the modded Gen Coupes, they have a great stance with just aftermarket wheels and a drop.

Dropping a car usually involves upgrading the suspension components, which is always a good thing. But the only trade off is a little practicality since it will be stiffer and lower.

It is a trade off a lot of enthusiasts are willing to take.

Cars like the G37S, 370Z, Gen Coupe, RX8, S2000 (I've driven all of those except the Gen Coupe) etc, etc don't have stiff suspensions and have a good amount of clearance from factory. It's not like they're GT3's or Z06's
Old 03-19-09, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skater
Just out of curiosity, have you tracked both cars? I don't see how anyone could make that assumption without taking these cars to the road course/circuit track/ AutoX. Or at least some spirited driving around some local canyon roads.

And in the comparos, I don't think I have heard anyone state this.

No. My reviews are done on the street, as that is the way most cars are driven, most of the time. But I do accelerate, brake, and steer/corner hard enough to get a good idea of what the car can do....otherwise I wouldn't waste time writing them up. And I look for some twisty roads whenever possible. But, as most of the cars I review are brand-new and not broken-in, I don't red-line the engine or slam on the brakes full-force. I stop a little short of that.

My reviews generally give a detailed, thorough description of what the car is like from stem to stern, and what you get for your money.....which is what most people are interested in. For max track figures, it is better to consult a review like Road & Track or Car & Driver.

However, even in non-track conditions, it was obvious, to me at least, that the 3.8 Track Genesis Coupe had better reflexes and power than the G37 coupe. It was simply a sportier and more driver-centered vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-09 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-19-09, 07:09 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. My reviews are done on the street, as that is the way most cars are driven, most of the time. But I do accelerate, brake, and steer/corner hard enough to get a good idea of what the car can do....otherwise I wouldn't waste time writing them up. And I look for some twisty roads whenever possible. But, as most of the cars I review are brand-new and not broken-in, I don't red-line the engine or slam on the brakes full-force. I stop a little short of that.

My reviews generally give a detailed, thorough description of what the car is like from stem to stern, and what you get for your money.....which is what most people are interested in. For max track figures, it is better to consult a review like Road & Track or Car & Driver.

However, even in non-track conditions, it was obvious, to me at least, that the 3.8 Track Genesis Coupe had better reflexes and power than the G37 coupe. It was simply a sportier and more driver-centered vehicle.

LMAO..... Marshall, I agree with you 100%. I am in my 40's and have never considered "tracking" a car as a consideration prior to purchase.
IMO most people consider real world driving characteristics not how a sports coupe perfoms on a track.

This car is a WINNER. Drive it, review it with an unbiased opinion of Hyundai.

Yes, it would be nice if the badge said Toyota, Nissan, Honda however it is a Hyundai and does require one to look beyond brand recognition.

Personally it has the best bang for the buck out there in a 4 seat coupe and the car looks and drives phenominally well.
Old 03-19-09, 09:52 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a true beauty will look good in non-black colors.

it's ugly if you have to hide the character lines with dark colors.

all you see is a silouette in the end.

i agree with OLT that it's lipstick on a pig. i don't care how it drives.
but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-19-09, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
mmarshall, I know you are a highly reputable source for car reviews. I know you are highly experienced in this and have great knowledge. You are also very neutral, not biased to some manufacturer/ models. That's why we trust you even more.

What i'm trying to say is, you are the professional. That's the bottom line...
Thanks, but I don't consider myself a professional.....just mmarshall.

Mike (1SICKLEX) also does some good reviews.
Old 03-19-09, 03:25 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
a true beauty will look good in non-black colors.

it's ugly if you have to hide the character lines with dark colors.

all you see is a silouette in the end.

i agree with OLT that it's lipstick on a pig. i don't care how it drives.
but that's just my opinion.

looks good in many colors. even in pink
Old 03-19-09, 03:28 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

and if you find that ugly, i have no hope for you.

Quick Reply: Hyundai CEO: Genesis Coupe Sales Are "Smoking," 3.8 GT is Volume Leader